Coswello surname from Roscigno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mperkin0

Coswello surname from Roscigno

Post by mperkin0 »

Hi,
I am seeking help as my family has hit a speed bump in our search for our ancestors.
We are seeking help regarding Thomas Antony Rocco Coswello who claimed he was from Venice in many of his papers. He was born between 1832-34 and migrated to the Ballarat goldfields in Victoria, Australia around 1853, and married a Maria McCarthy from Ireland. His parents were Basilica Sponza and Francisco Cossavella (or something like that).
Two issues have arisen: :?:
1- apparently the Italian language doesnt use the letter 'W' which would change the name but we have tried all sorts of derivatives like Cosovello, Cossovels, etc. We are just not sure what the Italian version would be.
2 - I was finally able to access Thomas' death certificate which states that he was actually born in Roscigno.
We are his Australian descendants and would dearly love news about our Italian gg grandfather.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Michelle
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Coswello surname from Roscigno

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Mr Perkins Go to www.paginebianche.it and try to find the correct spelling for the family name in ROSCIGNO. Put in the SURNAME (?) inthe first line and ROSCIGNO in the second line and click CERCA.

Try to find the italian spelling from www.NAA.COM.AU =Peter=
~Peter~
mperkin0

Post by mperkin0 »

Thanks Peter.
Im trying paginebianche as we speak but what did you mean at the NAA address. It is a nursing website in Australia? Could you clarify what you meant.
Thanks alot,
Michelle
mperkin0

Post by mperkin0 »

Ahh, Ok I'm thinking you are talking about the National Archives of Australia
www.naa.gov.au
I'll try there too.
Michelle
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, you means Roscigno in Campania region ( Italy), or Rovigno (Rovinj - Rovigno)

in Istria area(Croatia) however near Venezia? in Rovigno the surname is Cossovel..
hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mperkin0

Post by mperkin0 »

Suanj,
You may be right there because we were always told he was from Venezia. Did you find a surname cossovel? I thought the death certificate said Roscigno but what I can actually read is R..gno and I assumed it was rosigno.
I will keep checking for this new information.
THANK YOU THANK YOU!
Any other info you can pull up would be excellent.
Michelle
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, the first Cossovel in Rovigno was in 1712 http://digilander.libero.it/arupinum/famiglie2.htm
http://www.istrianet.org/istria/genealo ... gno/cg.htm
maybe you can search in Rovigno church records by Mormon's microfilms:
Topic Italy, Pola, Rovigno d'Istria - Church records

Titles Mati?na knjiga, 1553-1913 Rimokatoli?ka crkva. Župa Rovinj

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... Dna+knjiga &columns=*,0,0
hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mperkin0

Post by mperkin0 »

Wow ur good at this Suanj. Thanks so much, I'm gonna order that microfilm to look at at the lds centre.
Much appreciated.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Thanks much Suanj for coming to the rescue as I probably would not have come up with the Istria connection depending upon Rescigno.

For your information Mr Perkins should you have need to write to the town council in Rovigno (ROVINJ=CROATIA) their address is TRG MATTEOTI ROVINJ, Istria Croatia but the birth,marriage and death records are housed in the parish churches in Istria which is located in a church (name unknown) located onGIUSEPPE GARIBALDI 1, ROVINJ (ROVIGNO=Italian), Istria Croatia. www.istrianet.org/istria/organizations/menu.htm has an Istrian organlzation in Australia ALABORDA SPORT 7 SOCIAL CLUB, 1-7 Riddel Road, Holden Hill, South Australia 5088. Ms Susi Clarkson, President telephone 0061-8-82640265. This is one of several clubs spread thruout Australia.

Vocabulary: Rodeni=Birth, Vjencani=Marriage, UMRLI=death =Peter=
~Peter~
mperkin0

Post by mperkin0 »

Great, thanks Peter. They may be able to help with any translation issues I have as the records are written in Croatian.
You've both been a wonderful help.
Michelle