family origin and meaning of my last name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
paisano

family origin and meaning of my last name

Post by paisano »

Hi, can someone please assist me in finding the meaning of my last name? It's Smeragliuolo. I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: family origin and meaning of my last name

Post by ptimber »

It translates into a grinder such as a grinder with emery or emery cloth. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

paisano wrote:Hi, can someone please assist me in finding the meaning of my last name? It's Smeragliuolo. I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!
this surname are origin from ancient italian word "smiraglio or ismiraglio" means: little window and/or, also, drain channel, rain channel;
the Smeragliuolo means "who constructs this things.."
regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Sorry to differ Suanj. SMERIGLIARE is the verb to grind or polish and Smerigliuolo would mean a person who grinds or polishes. There is no surname like this in the italian surname dictionary. The Italian word dictionary has the above. Perhaps you know better but I assume that the dictionary was correct . Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ptimber wrote:Sorry to differ Suanj. SMERIGLIARE is the verb to grind or polish and Smerigliuolo would mean a person who grinds or polishes. There is no surname like this in the italian surname dictionary. The Italian word dictionary has the above. Perhaps you know better but I assume that the dictionary was correct . Peter
Caro Peter, smerigliare è un verbo di recente origine, e come tu sai i cognomi sono molto antichi, anche la parte "-iuolo" finale, tipica della Campania fa intendere un lavoro antico come "acquaiuolo, gravagnuolo etc..."; il cognome indica sicuramente quel che ho detto in precedenza, ossia un costruttore di piccole finestre, canali fognanti e grondaie..baci, suani
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I guess if the word dictionary for the surname is much later than the profession itself and seeing that you are sure aboiut that besides being in Italy, I bow to your wisdom and grant you the right and I presume I am in error. I extend my regrets tot he poster of thuis inquiry that Suanj is more correct than I since the occupation was named before the verb to pgrind or polish. Peter
paisano

Post by paisano »

Ciao, ptimber and suanj,
Thank you so much for your help in translating my last name. My wife would also like to know the origin/meaning of her family name, Parisi...If you could help with this name also, that would be wonderful. Thanks so much again to both of you.
God bless you,
Paisano
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Parisi is a variation of Parigi whichis a base italian name from whicvh all other names similar to that one is derived and means PARIS. It has reference to the city obnviously but going back to the middle ages and to earflier 12th century when the spelling was Parisius, Pariscius Pariscci etc. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

paisano wrote:Ciao, ptimber and suanj,
Thank you so much for your help in translating my last name. My wife would also like to know the origin/meaning of her family name, Parisi...If you could help with this name also, that would be wonderful. Thanks so much again to both of you.
God bless you,
Paisano
Hi some explanation about Parisi surname (hoping clear):

1-Much diffusing in all the south Italy, but present also to the north, derives from Parigi (Paris) name town, like nickname often being to indicate a logon with France (just explanation Peter) but are also other hypothesis..

2-other theory, decidedly more fascinating, ago to come down the last name from the Gaulish population of the Parisii, inhabitant people ancient Normandia, than, come down in Italy, after the conquest of the Gallie, to with roman legions, constituted the nucleus of the legions enlisted between Gaulish and their ethnic definition "Parisii" accompanied them like nickname before and as last name after, once obtained the property of lands given they as satisfied for firm and the reimbursement for the servigces it lend in the various wars. ..

3-The apulian root would have to come down from Parisi (Bari/Puglia) name town.

4-Other hypothesis about origin of this last name would make it to derive from the Greek name Paris (Paride).

5-the Parisi last name of the south-west of Trentino Alto Adige region, derive from the Parisio name, diffused enough in the zone in s XIV° and XV° centuries.

suanj
bruja6kids

Post by bruja6kids »

Hi all, I'm new here! This is coming a little late, but...

One of my family names is also Parisi, and I, too have been trying to find the actual origin. I agree with both ptimber and Suanj on possible origins, and would like to add what I've found - explanations include:

Origination probably from the Parisii clan of Gaul(a land which included ancient France). The Parisii were known as an early iron-age people, existing there at least from around 254 BC, and were followed by the Celts in that land. It is possible that they were originally of Hellenic stock, though this can not be proven. Their chief city was Lutetia Parisiorum (named "Paris" in 212 A.D., after the tribe). The Parisii were defeated by the advance of the Romans, and Gaul was made a Roman province (Gallia), in 55 B.C. The Parisii fought many times to rid themselves of Roman rule, and rose up against Julius Caesar along with Vercingetorix, who had gathered 8,000 men in all from Lutetia in 52 B.C., but failed, with many retreating east, north (there are Parisii burial grounds in Britain), and south. Lutetia was captured by Roman Republic that same year, and was, to the surprise of the Romans, already a prosperous town. Around the time of the Fall of the Roman Empire, in 272 A.D., the Roman Dionysius (St. Denis of France) was martyred by the Parisii on the Seine River. It has been said that by the beginning of the Norman Conquest in the 998, Gualterio Parisi(Governor of Paris), arrived in Sicily with Norman Princes, and during the Norman Conquest of Italy and Sicily(they were 2 separate countries), members of the Parisii fought against their enemies, the Romans, and were given Baronship in 6 large areas of Italy and Sicily, under the surname Parisi, and variations(Parigi, Parisini, and possibly others).
The people with the surname Parisi that came from "Austria" to the US in the 19th century were actually from northern Italy(most notably Trento and Lombardo). This part of Italy was under Austrian rule from 1797 till 1866, and had been considered a part of Austria.
Some think that the root of the name may come from the Italian area of Bari/Puglia (Apulia), which had been under Hellenic(Greek) influence as early as 400 B.C., but by 300 B.C. had been in alliance with Rome. The area has an ancient town by that name.
Some have mentioned that it may have come from the ancient Greeks, through the name "Paride".
Many Parisi can trace their name to just southwest of the Trentino Alto Region, where early families had the variation Parisio, among others, as early as the 14th and 15th centuries.
And, of course, there's always the thought that the Parisi name is derived from "Paris" (the city), but this is highly unlikely, as the name "Parisi" is more ancient than the city in France. It is also a known fact that the city of Paris was named AFTER and BY the Parisii of Gaul, and not the other way around.
There are many variations of the name. My family has used at least 3 that I know of (Parise, Paris, Parisi), and came from Aragona, Agrigento(Girgenti), Sicily, but I'm sure that they originated elsewhere before 1750.
But there are others:Parisio, Pariso, Pari, Parissi, Parice, Parici, Paricio, Parigi(this is how my ancestor's name was spelled on his 1803 marriage bann, but I found out that the "g" is actually an"s", the handwriting was very different back then), Aparicio, Parris, Parish, and probably more.
I hope this helps a little. Personally, I really don't think one is able to trace the Parisi surname all the way to Gaul(much less ancient Greece) with any certainty, though! but the history is very interesting....