Mingori

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sumner
Rookie
Rookie

Mingori

Post by sumner »

Despite fears of being flogged by the regulars on this board for asking for general assistance, I am going to forge ahead.

My great, great grandfather John Mingori is a bit of a mystery for me. I just recently learned his name off the death certificate from my great grandfather, Francesco C. Mingori Sr. Unfortunately, that certificate didn't have much in the way of information on where in Italy John originated.

After doing some Mingori research, I have learned that most American Mingoris trace their roots back to either Brescello or Boretto along the Po River near Parma. But I have no concrete connection.

The only record of John in the US I have been able to locate was him showing up in an 1895 Iowa State Census. But it didn't yield any origin info either. By 1898, his daughter Romilda was getting married down in Frontenac, Kansas (the home of the vast majority of Mingoris in America). But I can't find John in the 1900 Census or death records in either Iowa or Kansas. So I'm basically flying blind here.

Where does everyone suggest I concentrate my search efforts?
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Mingori

Post by ptimber »

The best thing to do now is to write for his military rfecords in Italy. You did not provde any dates or ages so I am flying bliond here in suggesting provincial records which can only be released after 75 years. Please let me know and no one would fault you for asking for assistance so never fear Peter is here!!!!!!!!
sumner
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sumner »

I really don't have much to go on as far as dates. The 1895 Iowa State Census lists John Mingori as being 60 years old. His wife Mary was listed as 54.

Since his son Francesco (Frank) was born somewhere in Italy on April 12, 1881 and he immigrated with his sister Romilda aboard 'La Champagne' on July 5, 1886. But I can't find any records of a John immigrating in the "Italians to America" books or Ellis Island records. My hypothesis is he came earlier than 1886 and sent for his two youngest children to join him at that time. Since John was 47 at the time of Francesco's birth, I also believe there are likely many other brothers or sisters out there.

I believe that most likely John and his family are from the same town and ancestry as all the other Mingoris that wound up migrating to Frontenac, KS to mine coal. But again, I'm just guessing.

If you are able to point me in the right direction based on these few facts, I would be very grateful.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I have two Francesco Mingori coming in 1886 one 5 years of age and another 31 years of age. Your Francesco is one but the other is someone coming with his parents or an adult guardian since he came in November 1886. I suspect your right that he came in even earlier then the records permit. Neither record lists a town in Italy. Keep plugging away. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

sumner wrote:I really don't have much to go on as far as dates. The 1895 Iowa State Census lists John Mingori as being 60 years old. His wife Mary was listed as 54.

Since his son Francesco (Frank) was born somewhere in Italy on April 12, 1881 and he immigrated with his sister Romilda aboard 'La Champagne' on July 5, 1886. But I can't find any records of a John immigrating in the "Italians to America" books or Ellis Island records. My hypothesis is he came earlier than 1886 and sent for his two youngest children to join him at that time. Since John was 47 at the time of Francesco's birth, I also believe there are likely many other brothers or sisters out there.

I believe that most likely John and his family are from the same town and ancestry as all the other Mingoris that wound up migrating to Frontenac, KS to mine coal. But again, I'm just guessing.

If you are able to point me in the right direction based on these few facts, I would be very grateful.
Hi: really not are Giovanni Mingori listed in italian emigration sources, but Francesco:
Cognome
MINGORI

Nome
FRANCESCO

Professione
CHILD

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
U

Destinazione
USA

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco
HAVRE

Nave
LA CHAMPAGNE

Data d'arrivo
7/5/1886

------
Romilda:
Cognome
MINGORI

Nome
ROMILDA

Professione
CHILD

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
U

Destinazione
USA

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco
HAVRE

Nave
LA CHAMPAGNE

Data d'arrivo
7/5/1886

-----------
in travel with:
Cognome
MINGORI

Nome
ANTONIO

Professione
FARMER

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
U

Destinazione
USA

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco
HAVRE

Nave
LA CHAMPAGNE

Data d'arrivo
7/5/1886

and

Cognome
MINGORI

Nome
ATTILIO

Professione
FARMER

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
U

Destinazione
USA

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco
HAVRE

Nave
LA CHAMPAGNE

Data d'arrivo
7/5/1886

and

Cognome
MINGORI

Nome
DIAMANTE

Professione
LABORER

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
U

Destinazione
USA

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco
HAVRE

Nave
LA CHAMPAGNE

Data d'arrivo
7/5/1886

also
Cognome
MINGORI

Nome
EUGENIA

Professione
FARMER

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
U

Destinazione
USA

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco
HAVRE

Nave
LA CHAMPAGNE

Data d'arrivo
7/5/1886

and an infant
Cognome
MINGORI

Nome
ORPHEO

800(age 8000age unknow probable some days)

Professione
INFANT

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
U

Destinazione
USA

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco
HAVRE

Nave
LA CHAMPAGNE

Data d'arrivo
7/5/1886
---------
more: Diamante Mingori emigrated in 1900, coming from Boretto town(Reggio Emilia province/Emilia Romagna region)http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 4863140169
is same person emigrated in 1886, this conclusion from reading ship's manifest on ellis island (coloumn 14 and 15)and goes from Mingori Attilio also listed in 1886 travel..
I think you can request all info in Boretto's Common to this mailto: Uffici Demografici
urp@comune.boretto.re.it
regards, suanj
sumner
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sumner »

suanj - Those are the same records I was basing most of my facts off of initially. In fact, I would love conclusive evidence tying Diamante to John (Giovanni) or Francesco. I have been in contact with Diamante's grandchildren who couldn't come up with any info on Diamante's parents. I'm hoping its John & Maria but that's where I am at.

I am very interested in following your lead of e-mailing Boretto's Common (and Brescello's as well). I am assuming I need to e-mail them in Italiano. But I am not sure specifically what I should request of them. I am not sure what info that they have available or what the etiquette is for inquiring.

If either you or Peter have any advice, it would once again be greatly appreciated.

- Sumner
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

You can either go to the family history library of themormonm church and rent out the micorfilm for Boretto which goes from 1815 toi 1865 and trace Diamanti there or you can write to Boretto with form letter (www.circolocalabrese.org for whatever documents you are seeking) and obtain his birth year from the www.ellisisland.org website that Suanj gave you....(I would rather teach people to do it!!) Besdies it is good to read the manifests. Write to Ufficio Di Stato Civile, Comune di Boretto, Postale 42022, Provincia (RE) Reggio Emilia, Italy. Enclose a self addressed envelope and either send postal coupons or some cash if you wish $5.00. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

sumner wrote:suanj - Those are the same records I was basing most of my facts off of initially. In fact, I would love conclusive evidence tying Diamante to John (Giovanni) or Francesco. I have been in contact with Diamante's grandchildren who couldn't come up with any info on Diamante's parents. I'm hoping its John & Maria but that's where I am at.

I am very interested in following your lead of e-mailing Boretto's Common (and Brescello's as well). I am assuming I need to e-mail them in Italiano. But I am not sure specifically what I should request of them. I am not sure what info that they have available or what the etiquette is for inquiring.

If either you or Peter have any advice, it would once again be greatly appreciated.

- Sumner
Hi Sumner:
are possible to write to Brescello and Boretto Commons for an request about Francesco (if Mingori Francesco born in this Commons / Reggio Emilia province);
the request about Francesco is important why the italian birth registries normally begin from 1871 and are more easy for Common to reply you;

if you have positive reply you can request after the record for Giovanni and Maria to parish or to Archivio Di Stato di Reggio Emilia..
Brescello email comune.brescello@comune.brescello.re.it

If you sure birthdate Francesco is 12 Aprile 1881, if birthdate not correct you write exact or only birthyear!
Please send this txt to Boretto and Brescello mailto:
-------------------

Spett.le Uffici Demografici
di ....(Boretto or Brescello)

Oggetto: Richiesta accertamento anagrafico di Mingori Francesco nato il 12 Aprile 1881 probabilmente nel vs Comune e figlio di Giovanni e ..(sconosciuto il cognome) Maria, emigrato assieme ai genitori e alla sorellina Romilda nel 1886.

Spett.le Uffici Demografici,
mi chiamo ....(your name) e sono cittadino statunitense di origini italiane, discendente di Mingori Francesco nato il 12 Aprile 1881 probabilmente nel vs Comune e figlio di Giovanni e ..(sconosciuto il cognome) Maria emigrato assieme ai genitori e alla sorellina Romilda nel 1886.

Con la presente il sottoscritto cortesemente richiede a codesto spett.le Uffici Demografici che voglia verificare se il suddetto Mingori Francesco risulti iscritto tra i nati del vs Comune.

In attesa di riscontro alla presente ai sensi della L.241/90, è gradita l'occasione per porgere i più distinti saluti,
..........(your name)
.........(your complete and exact address)
.......(your mailto)
----------------------

and waiting reply Commons,
regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Suanj I thought you were through. Sorry I did not mean to jump in like that. Peter
sumner
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sumner »

Wow! That's exactly what I was looking for. I do know for a fact Francesco's birthdate is 12 April 1881 off several American records. I will e-mail both communes as soon as possible.

Thank you once again.
sumner
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sumner »

If anyone can help with the translation it would be appreciated. But here's the reply I received from Boretto:

Con la presente si comunica che l'ufficio scrivente ha provveduto in data odierna all'invio alla S.V. dell'estratto di nascita del nominato in oggetto.
Con osservanza.
L'Ufficiale di stato civile
Monica Ciapparelli
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

sumner wrote:If anyone can help with the translation it would be appreciated. But here's the reply I received from Boretto:

Con la presente si comunica che l'ufficio scrivente ha provveduto in data odierna all'invio alla S.V. dell'estratto di nascita del nominato in oggetto.
Con osservanza.
L'Ufficiale di stato civile
Monica Ciapparelli
WOW!!!
the birth certificate your ancestor sended from BORETTO common.. :lol:
"with this letter it is communicated that this writing office,it has supplied in date today to shipment to you (alla S.V.=you )of Estratto atto di nascita(=birth certificate)of person name in your letter (=your ancestor)..waiting birth certificate of Francesco and you know also surname mother Francesco.. now: you need birth certificate also of Giovanni?after you receive birth certificate of Francesco(Boretto common sended you with normal mail)please let me know, and we make another request to parish or Archivio di Stato...
:wink: suanj
sumner
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sumner »

As we say down here in Texas, Ay Caramba!

I've learned more in the past two days on this site than in the past few years. Thank you so much for helping me with this, Joyce.

Here is what I know about Francesco's parents. Based on ages listed in 1895 Iowa State Census, his father Giovanni (John) Mingori was born in 1835 or 1836. His mother Maria (Mary) was born in either 1841 or 1842 based on several US Census records. Maria immigrated to US in 1886.

If you can help me draft another letter in Italiano it would be most appreciated.

Thank you once again.

- Randy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

sumner wrote:As we say down here in Texas, Ay Caramba!

I've learned more in the past two days on this site than in the past few years. Thank you so much for helping me with this, Joyce.

Here is what I know about Francesco's parents. Based on ages listed in 1895 Iowa State Census, his father Giovanni (John) Mingori was born in 1835 or 1836. His mother Maria (Mary) was born in either 1841 or 1842 based on several US Census records. Maria immigrated to US in 1886.

If you can help me draft another letter in Italiano it would be most appreciated.

Thank you once again.

- Randy
Hi Randy:
is possible, second step of your search, before request in Boretto's parish, to send an email in Archivio di Stato di Reggio Emilia, and request copy of original birth registry always for Francesco, why, in this copy are many info:
about Francesco's father and mother(Giovanni & Maria) in 1881:
-exact age( 1881-age=probable birth year just in Italy)
-paternity!(this info are necessary for request in parish)
-house address! (also this info are necessary for discover probable just church; also for know some info, why Boretto & Brescello around 1800 was only an Common, and around 1859 separated its in two differents Commons)..
send to asreggio@tin.it this email txt, and after that they send this photocopy to you, you must send approximately 2 or 3 euro to Archivio di Stato di Reggio Emilia for expenses( they will say to you exact sum):
-----------------------

Spett.le ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI REGGIO EMILIA
Corso Cairoli 6
42100 Reggio Emilia
Italia

Oggetto: Richiesta fotocopia come da registro di atto di nascita di Mingori Francesco nato a Boretto (RE) il 12 Aprile 1881 figlio di Giovanni e (?cognome) Maria, emigrato in USA assieme ai genitori e alla sorellina Romilda nel 1886.

Spett.le Archivio di Stato,
mi chiamo ....(your name) e sono cittadino statunitense di origini italiane, discendente di Mingori Francesco nato a Boretto (RE) il 12 Aprile 1881 figlio di Giovanni e ... Maria, emigrato in USA assieme ai genitori e alla sorellina Romilda nel 1886.

Con la presente cortesemente richiedo a codesto spett.le Archivio di Stato, a fini studio, quanto in oggetto.

Si prega di farmi conoscere l'ammontare delle spese dovute e le modalità di invio che sarà mia premura rimettere a codesto Archivio a stretto giro di posta.

In attesa di riscontro alla presente ai sensi della L.241/90, è gradita l'occasione per porgere i più distinti saluti,
..........(your name)
.........(your complete and exact address)
.......(your mailto)
----------------------
regards, suanj
sumner
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sumner »

Joyce ...

I e-mailed the asreggio@tin.it address several times over the past few days. But each time it failed to go through. Is there perhaps another e-mail address that I might try? I'm really anxious to try this again.

- Randy