Help needed with translation (Italian Birth Certificate)

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
DelliColli-Gavan

Help needed with translation (Italian Birth Certificate)

Post by DelliColli-Gavan »

I hope someone will be able to help with this record I've got from the FHS, I've given it a go to translate it myself but dont want to get key dates (such as birth dates and parents ages wrong).

I managed to work out what some of the written Italian words were but some of this Atto Di Nascita has me stumped. If I'm on track then I'll be able to start looking for the father and mothers records in the right part of the FHS records without ordering all of them in.

My attempt at written Italian to type...

Atto di Nascita

L'anno mille ottocento sessantacinque il di diciotto di giugno alle ore dodici avanti di no; Nicola Luito Sindaro ed uffiziale dello stato civile di cassino provincia di terra di lavono e compara Michele Facione figlio ci "falfor venato" di anni trentatre di professi ne contadino domiciliat "cinfedino" quale ci ha presentata una femmina secondo che subiamo ocularmente riconosciute ed a dichiarato che di ???

e nata da Maria Concetta Vettese una moglie legittimo di anni ventisei domiciliata "corietto" e da lei dichiarante di anni come sopra di professione come sopra domiciliato come sopra nel giorno sedici del suddetto mese alle ore diciassette nella casa xx xx xx

Lo stesso inoltre a dichiarato di dare al ??? nome di Maria Grazia

La presentazione dichiarazione anzidetta si e ?falte? alla senta di Sinoire Demiarico Leva di professione ?Facidate? regnicolo domiciliato Cassino e di Francesco Colli di professione ??? regnicole domiciliato ??? testimoni intervenuti al presente allo e da esso sig Michele Facione prodotti

Il presente atto e satollato al dichiarante ed a lentimoni ed indi si e firmato da doi

My possible translation is

Birth certificate

Year (eight hundred year thousands sixty-five) [1865] of eighteen of june to hours twelve ahead not; Nicholas Luito Sindaro and (uffiziale) [offical] of the (marital status) [Vital Records] of Cassino earth province of lavono and compare Michele Facione son us " falfor venato" of years thirty-three, of peasant profession some (domiciliat)[living] " cinfedino" which has introduced us a female (second) that we (endure ocularly)[visibly witnessed and] recognized and to declared that of ??? and been born from Maria Concetta Vettese (a)[his] wife I legitimize of years twenty-six (domiciled)[living] " corietto" and from she declaring of years as mentioned above of profession as mentioned above domiciled as mentioned above in day sixteen of the aforesaid month to hours seventeen in house xx xx xx The same one moreover to declared of giving to? name of Maria Grazia

The presentation above-mentioned declaration and? falte? to it feels of Sinoire Demiarico Lever of profession ?Facidate? regnicolo domiciled Cassino and of Francisco Hills of profession? (?regnicole?) domiciled[living] ??? witnesses taken part to the present to and from it produced Mr. Michele Facione Present and satifactory to declaring and ?lentimoni? and ?Indians? and signed action and from ?

And I'll try to post the scanned copy from the FHS if this helps

Many thanks in advance for any help you could suggest
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Help needed with translation (Italian Birth Certificate)

Post by liviomoreno »

I suggest that you post an image of the record...
DelliColli-Gavan

Oh the joys of technology. I cant downsize my jpeg at the library so posted it in an old picasa account for access. Sorry about that :(

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/ ... directlink
DelliColli-Gavan

I think I've managed to resize the original document.

Hoping this works and my translation is somewhat right :oops:

Matthew
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The one uploded to Picasa is Ok. Attachin file does not work in this forum. You'll get your transcription and translation in the next 25 minutes.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Atto di Nascita

L'anno mille ottocento sessantacinque il di diciotto di giugno alle ore dodici avanti di noi Nicola Fusco Sindaco ed uffiziale dello stato civile di Cassino provincia di Terra di lavoro è compara Michele Facione figlio di fu Fortunato di anni trentadue di professione contadino domiciliato in Cassino il quale ci ha presentata una femmina secondo che abbiamo ocularmente riconosciute ed à dichiarato che la stessa è nata da Maria Concetta Vettese sua moglie legittima di anni trenta domiciliata con esso e da lui dichiarante di anni come sopra di professione come sopra domiciliato come sopra nel giorno sedici del suddetto mese alle ore ventuno nella casa rurale di Cappella Morrone.

Lo stesso inoltre à dichiarato di dare alla bambina il nome di Maria Grazia

La presentazione e dichiarazione anzidetta si è fatta alla presenza di Signore Domenico Leva di professione sacerdote regnicolo domiciliato in Cassino e di Francesco Colli(?) di professione proprietario regnicolo domiciliato ivi testimoni intervenuti al presente atto e da esso sig Michele Facione prodotti.

Il presente atto è stato letto al dichiarante ed ai testimoni ed indi si è firmato da noi e dai testimoni avendo il dichiarante detto di non saper scrivere.

Translation:

Birth Act

The year one thousand eight hundred sixty five [1865] the day eighteen of June at hours twelve, in front of us Nicola Fusco Sindaco and Vital Records officer of Cassino province of Terra di Lavono appeared Michele Facione son of the deceased Fortunato, aged thirty-three, peasant, domiciled in Cassino, who has introduced to us a female (baby) that we have visibly recognized and he declared that the same was born to Maria Concetta Vettese, his legitimize wife, aged thirty, living with him, the declarant, aged as above, profession as above, domiciled as above, the day 16th of the above mentioned month at 9:00pm, in the rural house of Cappella Morrone.

The same one moreover declared to give the child the name of Maria Grazia.

The above-mentioned presentation and declaration was made at the presence of Signore Domenico Leva, profession kingdom’s priest domiciled in Cassino and of Franceisco Colli(?), profession kingdom’s landowner domiciled there [in the same place, Cassino] witnesses attending this act and produced by Mr. Michele Facione.

This act was read to the declarant and to the witnesses and then was signed by us and by the witnesses, since the declarant said he was not able to write.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Livio,

"Michele Facione figlio di fu Fortunato di anni trentadue"

Should the father's age be 32, not 33? Just wanted to mention this in case the poster wants to go further back to find father's birth record.

T.
DelliColli-Gavan

Many thanks there Livio for this translation. It is much appreciated and will help in further research for the Italian tree.

I'm not sure about the father's age there Tessa, I cant work out whether its trentadue or trentatre. I should be able to solve it as the FHS has the records for 1830-1834 on one reel and that should cover either age. Thanks for the feedback.

I also wonder about "contadino". I initially translated it as peasant but other dictionaries give it as farmer. On Maria Grazia Facione's marriage certificate, she gave her father (Michele) profession as Farmer.

I'm going to be cheeky and see if anyone can hazzard a guess about the bit of the script on the side of the certificate. I was given the impression that it is the baptism record and this was normally done the same day as the registration; that would explain why the priest was also one of the witnesses.

Thanks for all your help
Matthew
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Contadino is a usually associated with an agricultural day laborer and/or landless. =Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I have some difficulty to read 33 as the age of Michele, after "trenta", I see a "d" rather than a "t"...

And maybe farmer is more appropriate than peasant...
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

DelliColli-Gavan wrote:...
I'm going to be cheeky and see if anyone can hazzard a guess about the bit of the script on the side of the certificate. I was given the impression that it is the baptism record and this was normally done the same day as the registration; that would explain why the priest was also one of the witnesses.
You're correct.
DelliColli-Gavan

Thank you all so very much for your help and advice on these matters.

I am taking Micheles age to be 32 (trentadue) until I get hold of his birth certificate from the FHS and will follow the landless farmer for profession rather than peasant.

Many thanks once again for all your help.

Matthew :D