Monterosso birt certicate- please help with translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Monterosso birt certicate- please help with translation

Post by jo123 »

Hi there,

I've been lucky enough to receive some birth and marriage certificates for my Monterosso family and found one which is quite surprising. It is a certificate of a Saverio Monterosso born 1910 in Sinopoli to parents Cosmo Monterosso and Grazia Maria Condina. These are my great grandparents and my grandfather is Saverio Andrea Monterosso only he was born in 1921. I can only assume that this child died at birth or at a very young age for my Grandfather to have been given the same name.

On the attached copy of the document there are 2 pages. On the first page the birth certificate is crossed out with "Annucilato" (Cancelled) written across it, then on the second page there is alot more text on the next copy of the certificate. I have been able to work out names and dates but not much of the text at the bottom. Can anyone get an idea what it might translate to.

Thanks
Josie
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Monterosso birt certicate- please help with translation

Post by jo123 »

Hi.

Sorry can't figure out why my attachment didn't show up.

Josie
Tracing my family from Sinopoli. Surnames: Monterosso, Puccini, Carbone, Tripodi, Caruso, Rugnetta, Fimmano, Luppino.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The word on the first page is ANNULLATO = Annulled, canceled, deleted...

Saverio Monterosso born in Sinopoli on 1910, Jan 4 to Grazia Condina, farmer and Cosmo Monterosso, farmer, her husband. Midwife Francesca Martino.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Looking at the two documents, the difference seems to be in the person who presented the baby. In the first (annulled) document it is recorded as the father Cosmo Monterosso. In the second recording of the birth, it is listed as the midwife (as Livio noted), Francesca Martino.

Looking at the text at the bottom, it seems like an explanation of why the father did not present the child (which was the custom)...because he was away from the country??

T.
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. That would make sense as my great grandfather Cosmo was travelling back and forth from America working in the mines in Pittsburgh. I have a ship manifest of him arriving in America on th 10th May 1909, which is pretty much 9 months before Saverio was born. However, I still believe the child must have died young as none of my relatives knew about him. Will have to try and get my hands on some death records.

Thanks again
Josie
Tracing my family from Sinopoli. Surnames: Monterosso, Puccini, Carbone, Tripodi, Caruso, Rugnetta, Fimmano, Luppino.