Searching for my great grandparents
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
That was my thinking also. I can't imagine all those children carrying Elenora maiden name. If momsrule can get one birth certificate or one American document with any of the children's father's name, we will know for sure.
Both surnames are quite common in Tursi.
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/basilicata/tursi.html
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/077/029/index.html
http://www.comune.tursi.mt.it/index.htm
Both surnames are quite common in Tursi.
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/basilicata/tursi.html
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/077/029/index.html
http://www.comune.tursi.mt.it/index.htm
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
Did Elenora remarry in the US?
two children born in PA, Louis 1903, Joseph 1907
1920 census
Home in 1920:
545 Morgan Street, owns without a mortgage
Pittsburgh Ward 5, Allegheny, Pennsylvania
head Elinore Lauria 57, abt 1863 IT
- widow
- immig 1901, Pa
son Anthony Lauria 31, abt 1889
- divorced
- immig 1901
- barber, barber shop
daughter Bertha Lauria 22, abt 1898 IT
- immig 1901
- clerk, pullman co
son Frank Lauria 20, abt 1900 IT
- immig 1901
- chauffeur,
son Louis Lauria 17, abt 1903 PA
son Joseph Lauria 13, abt 1907 PA
---
Hi mj
!
two children born in PA, Louis 1903, Joseph 1907
1920 census
Home in 1920:
545 Morgan Street, owns without a mortgage
Pittsburgh Ward 5, Allegheny, Pennsylvania
head Elinore Lauria 57, abt 1863 IT
- widow
- immig 1901, Pa
son Anthony Lauria 31, abt 1889
- divorced
- immig 1901
- barber, barber shop
daughter Bertha Lauria 22, abt 1898 IT
- immig 1901
- clerk, pullman co
son Frank Lauria 20, abt 1900 IT
- immig 1901
- chauffeur,
son Louis Lauria 17, abt 1903 PA
son Joseph Lauria 13, abt 1907 PA
---
Hi mj
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
Valarie and mj,
I agree with you both about the maiden name probably not being Lauria. It seems there was an older daughter who was here and paid the passage for mother and several children according to the 1899 manifest. Her name was Filomena, and it looked like she was in NY. Another thread?
T.
I agree with you both about the maiden name probably not being Lauria. It seems there was an older daughter who was here and paid the passage for mother and several children according to the 1899 manifest. Her name was Filomena, and it looked like she was in NY. Another thread?
T.
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
Hi TTessa78 wrote:Valarie and mj,
I agree with you both about the maiden name probably not being Lauria. It seems there was an older daughter who was here and paid the passage for mother and several children according to the 1899 manifest. Her name was Filomena, and it looked like she was in NY. Another thread?
T.
1899 manifest is on pg 1
Looks like destination was changed to Briar Hill Ohio
(near Youngstown Mahoning County OH)
Valarie
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
Here is a possible manifest for Filomena, but it doesn't give much info. However she was going to Briar Hill.
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0181
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0181
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
Wow mj
14 years old!
Valarie
---
545 Morgan Street, Pittsburgh
Checked the 1918 Pittsburgh Directory for the 1920 census address, 545 Morgan Street
http://www.evendon.net/PGHLookups/HomePage.shtml
In 1918 it was listed as the home of Antonio Cortellero & residence of Anthony Lauria, barber
If Antonio Cortellero is Elenora's 2nd husband, this is probably their 1910 census
Same sons as 1920 census born in PA
Probably married 10 yrs
Elenora's other children either aren't listed or they may be living with relatives
possible 1910 census
Home in 1910:
545 Morgan Street, owns house
Pittsburgh Ward 5, Allegheny, Pennsylvania
head Tony Cortellero 59, abt 1851 IT
- married 15 yrs??, abt 1895
- immig 1882, Na
- laborer, city
wife Lenora Cortellero 50, abt 1860 IT
- 2 children
- immig 1896
son Louis Cortellero 9, abt 1901 PA
son Joseph Cortellero 3, abt 1907 PA
---
Cortellero, although used by Antonio at least 4 times as a directory listing, is probably not the original name
14 years old!
Valarie
---
545 Morgan Street, Pittsburgh
Checked the 1918 Pittsburgh Directory for the 1920 census address, 545 Morgan Street
http://www.evendon.net/PGHLookups/HomePage.shtml
In 1918 it was listed as the home of Antonio Cortellero & residence of Anthony Lauria, barber
If Antonio Cortellero is Elenora's 2nd husband, this is probably their 1910 census
Same sons as 1920 census born in PA
Probably married 10 yrs
Elenora's other children either aren't listed or they may be living with relatives
possible 1910 census
Home in 1910:
545 Morgan Street, owns house
Pittsburgh Ward 5, Allegheny, Pennsylvania
head Tony Cortellero 59, abt 1851 IT
- married 15 yrs??, abt 1895
- immig 1882, Na
- laborer, city
wife Lenora Cortellero 50, abt 1860 IT
- 2 children
- immig 1896
son Louis Cortellero 9, abt 1901 PA
son Joseph Cortellero 3, abt 1907 PA
---
Cortellero, although used by Antonio at least 4 times as a directory listing, is probably not the original name
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
Yes, she remarried to a Anton Coltellaro from what I was told and had a Joseph, Louis and a Frank. I haven't been able to find anything on this yet.
The only thing I have so far is my GG declaration but it doesn't say anything about parents names on it.
I tried to call the Family center today to ask about getting records and the phone just rang and rang, so I will head over there on Monday morning.
Boy you guys sure can find out information quick !!!
Thank you so much
The only thing I have so far is my GG declaration but it doesn't say anything about parents names on it.
I tried to call the Family center today to ask about getting records and the phone just rang and rang, so I will head over there on Monday morning.
Boy you guys sure can find out information quick !!!
Thank you so much
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
Most FHC have limited hours. They depend on volunteers. Check the website to find out what the hours are
(although it is not always accurate) it will at least give you an idea.
(although it is not always accurate) it will at least give you an idea.
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
I just noticed the last name was different, I was searching for a Coltellaro this whole time.. no wonder I never found anything.
I wish I would of found this site when I started doing this to begin with, seriously you guys are great.
Thank you SOOO much for finding that census Vj.
The Francesco I don't have listed as a child of hers but that doesn't mean anything.. I think I'm up to like 12 kids so far... They must of really liked kids...LOL ! I will have to investigate that name also.. THANK YOU !
I wish I would of found this site when I started doing this to begin with, seriously you guys are great.
Thank you SOOO much for finding that census Vj.
The Francesco I don't have listed as a child of hers but that doesn't mean anything.. I think I'm up to like 12 kids so far... They must of really liked kids...LOL ! I will have to investigate that name also.. THANK YOU !
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
HI..
I am Momsrule's sister
We are doing this together.
I noticed when she was writing she put Eleanor was born in Curinga.. that is wrong it is actually our Great Grandfather Sebestiano Bertuca whom was born there. (he is the one I am most interested in finding out about)
Eleanor along with her children were from Tursi that is correct(per the ship records). It gets difficult as you all know to keep things straight! I just wanted to thank all of you for your help
Yes, some how we have Andrew D'Alessandro somewhere in our tree we think. We are not sure, but after trying to find Eleanors maiden name that might be the answer we need to link them?? The search continues. Thank you for all the information you found on him, we may need it later and its a good thing to have it already.
No one in our family has ever been able to find anything on Eleanor prior to 1899 when she arrived here. We are hoping to find our family records in Italy that will answer all the questions we are searching for. (who, what, where, when and how) lol !!
I believe that with the kindness of everyone out there willing to take the time out to help we will be able to.
Thank you everyone for your kindness
I am Momsrule's sister
I noticed when she was writing she put Eleanor was born in Curinga.. that is wrong it is actually our Great Grandfather Sebestiano Bertuca whom was born there. (he is the one I am most interested in finding out about)
Eleanor along with her children were from Tursi that is correct(per the ship records). It gets difficult as you all know to keep things straight! I just wanted to thank all of you for your help
Yes, some how we have Andrew D'Alessandro somewhere in our tree we think. We are not sure, but after trying to find Eleanors maiden name that might be the answer we need to link them?? The search continues. Thank you for all the information you found on him, we may need it later and its a good thing to have it already.
No one in our family has ever been able to find anything on Eleanor prior to 1899 when she arrived here. We are hoping to find our family records in Italy that will answer all the questions we are searching for. (who, what, where, when and how) lol !!
I believe that with the kindness of everyone out there willing to take the time out to help we will be able to.
Thank you everyone for your kindness
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
www.paginebianche.it
Bertuca Angela
88025 San Pietro A Maida (CZ) -
Via Padre Elia, 17
tel:0968 79251
cognome: Lauria dove: Tursi
cognome: D'Alessandro dove: Tursi
75028 Tursi (MT)
Bertuca Angela
88025 San Pietro A Maida (CZ) -
Via Padre Elia, 17
tel:0968 79251
cognome: Lauria dove: Tursi
cognome: D'Alessandro dove: Tursi
75028 Tursi (MT)
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
Michael,
Thank you for the information, but Im not sure what I do with it ?? Im still new at this.
Thank you for the information, but Im not sure what I do with it ?? Im still new at this.
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
http://www.comune.curinga.cz.it/index.p ... index&p=47
Modulistica Anagrafe
?DICHIARAZIONE_SOSTITUTIVA_DELL_ATTO_DI_NOTORIETA__.?
I think this is a form for requesting a birth certificate from comune di Curinga. (I did not find the address to mail the form to Curinga)
Bertuca is listed in San Pietro A Maida (next to Curinga)
http://sanpietroamaida.asmenet.it/
Modulistica Anagrafe
?DICHIARAZIONE_SOSTITUTIVA_DELL_ATTO_DI_NOTORIETA__.?
I think this is a form for requesting a birth certificate from comune di Curinga. (I did not find the address to mail the form to Curinga)
Bertuca is listed in San Pietro A Maida (next to Curinga)
http://sanpietroamaida.asmenet.it/
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
Michael,
Thank you, ill look more into it.
Thank you, ill look more into it.

