Name Discrepency

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Cen51

Name Discrepency

Post by Cen51 »

I'm sure this been asked before.

I'm heading to the NY consulate in a couple months for my appointment and I wasn't concerned before but now I'm second guessing seeing how picky NY is becoming.

My Grandfather's NYC marriage and NYS death certificate has his father's name as Joseph, while his Italian birth certificate obviously says Giuseppe.

Should I concern myself with this? And if so, would I have to go thru NYC to amend the marriage certificate (I'm assuming) or could I amend it at my local NYS Vital Records when I amend the death certificate.

Thanks to all.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Name Discrepency

Post by PeterTimber »

You might want to make an informal inquiry at the NY Consulate and get their thinking about this. =Peter=
~Peter~
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I hesitate to say this because I know how difficult the NY Consulate has been of late, but I think you'll probably be OK with the Giuseppe/Joseph discrepancy. Joseph is an exact English translation of Giuseppe. If I were you, I'd take a chance with this.

Actually in your document translation, you can note the Italian version. For example: Name: Giuseppe
Translation: Nome: Joseph (Giuseppe)
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

Ping me after next week if I don't post a follow up to this thread. I have the exact name issue, Guiseppe/Joseph/Joe on documents that I am taking to Boston for my appointment next week, although it is the Boston consulate and not the NY.
verseau213

Post by verseau213 »

I have the same issue (Nicholas/Nicolò). I just spoke with someone at the Boston consulate last week, and what he told me was that it's not the consulate itself that makes the decision regarding name issues, but the comune to which all your documents are processed once you apply. They are the ones that will accept whether or not they recognize all these documents as belonging to the same person.

Has anyone heard anything similar to this?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

verseau213 wrote:I have the same issue (Nicholas/Nicolò). I just spoke with someone at the Boston consulate last week, and what he told me was that it's not the consulate itself that makes the decision regarding name issues, but the comune to which all your documents are processed once you apply. They are the ones that will accept whether or not they recognize all these documents as belonging to the same person.

Has anyone heard anything similar to this?
I don't think anyone really knows what the process is, but this does seem possible. It would explain why some consulates require that the applicant wait until they have received confirmation from the comune that registration has been completed before permitting you to apply for your Italian passport. Some consulates actually require that you obtain a copy of your Italian birth certificate from your comune before proceeding.

On the other hand, consulates have no intention of making themselves look like idiots. Certainly not more than once. Therefore, you can be pretty sure that if the consulate forwards your docs to the comune, there is a 99.99% likelyhood that the comune will agree with their decision.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
verseau213

Post by verseau213 »

Thank you for the quick response!! This is actually very comforting to hear.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

verseau213 wrote:Thank you for the quick response!! This is actually very comforting to hear.
Scares the bejesus out of me, though/

The New York City consulate approved my and my wife's application in July, 2008 and said we could come in for our passports whenever it was convenient (NYC still does not require waiting for the comune). We got our passports in January, 2009.

But, contrary to what some other people have reported, we have not heard a single word from my ancestral comune. Of course, they are impossible to work with, never responding to any of my attempts to contact them whether in writing or by email. Hopefully they won't come along one day and say they are denying our application!
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
verseau213

Post by verseau213 »

The thing that scares me the most is that the comune I have to apply to is in Trapani (Sicily)! I love Sicily, but I am afraid of the imminent burocrazia, or lack thereof. I hope the process won't be terrible, as I am applying through a parent and not a more distant relative. If you don't mind me asking, what comune did you and your wife apply through?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

verseau213 wrote:The thing that scares me the most is that the comune I have to apply to is in Trapani (Sicily)! I love Sicily, but I am afraid of the imminent burocrazia, or lack thereof. I hope the process won't be terrible, as I am applying through a parent and not a more distant relative. If you don't mind me asking, what comune did you and your wife apply through?
Check you PM in a minute or so.
Carmine

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

verseau213 wrote:The thing that scares me the most is that the comune I have to apply to is in Trapani (Sicily)! I love Sicily, but I am afraid of the imminent burocrazia, or lack thereof. I hope the process won't be terrible, as I am applying through a parent and not a more distant relative. If you don't mind me asking, what comune did you and your wife apply through?
I am hoping that I am able to apply in a sicilian comune and not the one through my ancestor, where I can ask my relatives to "check up" on the progress or obtain any records should I need a faster response. Does anyone know how to make such a request of the consulate when applying? I go in on Thursday for my appointment.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Yes simply explain and ask him the question. He will either answer and give you the desired information, ask for more information, or say "NO"

I hardly think he is going to throw you out of his office? =Peter=
~Peter~
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

I will most definitely ask if it is possible and request it if so. If he says, "no it isn't possible" then it won't be a huge problem, just less than ideal. I have no worries as I am constantly reviewing all of my documents for anything that I might have missed. There are a few anomalies, like one non-blood last name typo W for a V, a misspelling of a non-blood last name on a death certificate, the first name Joseph/Giuseppe, and the non-blood m-GGM spouse using "Laura" on some documents where her birth name is "Oretta", but nothing insurmountable in my opinion. But I will get the official ruling next week. :) I think at a minimum they will require a few additional translationed documents, and the ancestor declaration be apostille'd.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You always have to allow for a little breeze in church. =Peter=
~Peter~