Do consulates always want census records?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
Mulé
Elite
Elite
Posts: 266
Joined: 16 Nov 2009, 18:38

Re: Do consulates always want census records?

Post by Mulé »

My WWI draft card for my p-GGF indicates Alien. It seems you keep finding supporting documents with Naturalization indicated. I wonder why the USCIS can't find his record. Are the names correct on each census, draft card, ship manifest? Maybe he naturalized under a different name or never really naturalized. I wouldn't give up until the USCIS, NARA, or local and state courts have found a record. What if he never naturalized, but just told the census people, draft board, and immigration that he had?
Does the ship manifest have any markings to indicate petition number or other information supporting the naturalization? Often times the ship manifests were used as a log for that type of information.
User avatar
Pastore
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: 01 Feb 2008, 05:23
Location: Fishers, IN, USA
Contact:

Re: Do consulates always want census records?

Post by Pastore »

Thanks for all of your insight on this! I have used his birth name, Giovanni, and what he later went by, John, on all requests along with the places where he lived at different times. There is no indication on the ship manifest of a petition number. The ship manifest actually shows my p-GGM traveling back from Italy with 3 sons born in the U.S. and another born in Italy. All are marked "Non Immigrant Alien" returning to their husband/father.

It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't naturalize, since the area where he was living was small and rural. In a county of approximately 25,000 people, at the time there were 5,000 Italian immigrants. It would be easy to 'blend in' in that situation. Unfortunately there has been no way to either prove or disprove this theory. I guess I'll just keep searching.

Thanks!
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Do consulates always want census records?

Post by mler »

Many Italians served in the U.S. military, and many, but not all, naturalized at that time. If your ggf did so, it may explain why his naturalization records are not found in the standard places.
User avatar
Pastore
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: 01 Feb 2008, 05:23
Location: Fishers, IN, USA
Contact:

Re: Do consulates always want census records?

Post by Pastore »

mler wrote:Many Italians served in the U.S. military, and many, but not all, naturalized at that time. If your ggf did so, it may explain why his naturalization records are not found in the standard places.
Do you have any idea, then, where these records could be found?
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Do consulates always want census records?

Post by VaDeb »

User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Do consulates always want census records?

Post by mler »

That seems a good source. If your ggf did naturalize with the military, it seems the documents would be filed in the county of the military base.
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Do consulates always want census records?

Post by PeterTimber »

www.ericfisher.org/blog/?postid=204 may be of interest6 since it describes the "HOW TO" in the process of US naturalization while serving in the armed forces. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
Pastore
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: 01 Feb 2008, 05:23
Location: Fishers, IN, USA
Contact:

Re: Do consulates always want census records?

Post by Pastore »

Thanks Debbie, mler and Peter. From what I have heard, he did not serve in the military, only signed up for the draft. Would this change where I look? Here is a copy of the filing:
1918 Draft Registration.

Also, I have checked all of the Vermillion County records from around 1900 to 1950, and there is no naturalization record (the county sent all records to the State Archives years ago, and this is where I did my research).
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Do consulates always want census records?

Post by VaDeb »

Sorry, I misunderstood. If he did not serve in the military, then WWI military naturalizations will not help you. I don't know how you can tell if someone served from their draft card - I don't believe you can.

Debbie
Post Reply