My WWI draft card for my p-GGF indicates Alien. It seems you keep finding supporting documents with Naturalization indicated. I wonder why the USCIS can't find his record. Are the names correct on each census, draft card, ship manifest? Maybe he naturalized under a different name or never really naturalized. I wouldn't give up until the USCIS, NARA, or local and state courts have found a record. What if he never naturalized, but just told the census people, draft board, and immigration that he had?
Does the ship manifest have any markings to indicate petition number or other information supporting the naturalization? Often times the ship manifests were used as a log for that type of information.
Do consulates always want census records?
Re: Do consulates always want census records?
Thanks for all of your insight on this! I have used his birth name, Giovanni, and what he later went by, John, on all requests along with the places where he lived at different times. There is no indication on the ship manifest of a petition number. The ship manifest actually shows my p-GGM traveling back from Italy with 3 sons born in the U.S. and another born in Italy. All are marked "Non Immigrant Alien" returning to their husband/father.
It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't naturalize, since the area where he was living was small and rural. In a county of approximately 25,000 people, at the time there were 5,000 Italian immigrants. It would be easy to 'blend in' in that situation. Unfortunately there has been no way to either prove or disprove this theory. I guess I'll just keep searching.
Thanks!
It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't naturalize, since the area where he was living was small and rural. In a county of approximately 25,000 people, at the time there were 5,000 Italian immigrants. It would be easy to 'blend in' in that situation. Unfortunately there has been no way to either prove or disprove this theory. I guess I'll just keep searching.
Thanks!
Re: Do consulates always want census records?
Many Italians served in the U.S. military, and many, but not all, naturalized at that time. If your ggf did so, it may explain why his naturalization records are not found in the standard places.
Re: Do consulates always want census records?
Do you have any idea, then, where these records could be found?mler wrote:Many Italians served in the U.S. military, and many, but not all, naturalized at that time. If your ggf did so, it may explain why his naturalization records are not found in the standard places.
Re: Do consulates always want census records?
That seems a good source. If your ggf did naturalize with the military, it seems the documents would be filed in the county of the military base.
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Do consulates always want census records?
www.ericfisher.org/blog/?postid=204 may be of interest6 since it describes the "HOW TO" in the process of US naturalization while serving in the armed forces. =Peter=
~Peter~
Re: Do consulates always want census records?
Thanks Debbie, mler and Peter. From what I have heard, he did not serve in the military, only signed up for the draft. Would this change where I look? Here is a copy of the filing:
1918 Draft Registration.
Also, I have checked all of the Vermillion County records from around 1900 to 1950, and there is no naturalization record (the county sent all records to the State Archives years ago, and this is where I did my research).
1918 Draft Registration.
Also, I have checked all of the Vermillion County records from around 1900 to 1950, and there is no naturalization record (the county sent all records to the State Archives years ago, and this is where I did my research).
Re: Do consulates always want census records?
Sorry, I misunderstood. If he did not serve in the military, then WWI military naturalizations will not help you. I don't know how you can tell if someone served from their draft card - I don't believe you can.
Debbie
Debbie


