Newark NJ Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sophia22

Newark NJ Consulate

Post by sophia22 »

Does anyone have suggestions about how to expedite things there? I submitted my application in August 09 but haven't heard anything. I'm assuming this is normal. . . .

Also, is there any way at all I can go to Italy to apply or is it the case that I must be a RESIDENT of Italy in order to submit my paperwork for dual citizenship? If that's the case, I suppose I must muddle through with those women over in Newark. . . :(

THANKS!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Newark NJ Consulate

Post by mler »

You need to establish residency in Italy in order to apply there. When I was in Newark I was told that the wait would be approximately two years, so you are well within that time period.

They will not contact you until your documents are approved by them and they receive notification that they were registered in your comune. No, there is no way to expedite the process. You wait for an appointment, you submit your documents, and then you wait again. We've all been through it, but if you want Italian citizenship, you need to be prepared for the Italian way of doing things.

BTW, there was a backlog even two years ago when they were less busy. I submitted my application in February of 2008 and retrieved them in September of that year. They had not yet begun processing when I picked them up.
sophia22

Post by sophia22 »

Thanks for your reply. Helped me a great deal. However - I'm still not warmed up to those women in Newark!

They made it sound like they'd call me in days when I hand-delivered my application. Feeling better that this is all to be expected.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

So basically once you have your appointment you are just waiting on them to get back to you? Is there any way to check on your status or its just better to sit back and wait until they contact you?

Alicia
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

They are not too happy about "checking-on-status" calls as you might expect. On the other hand, if the wait is exceptionally long, it may be a good idea to find a reason for another call.

After what I considered to be a too-long wait in NY, my husband went in with an updated amended document and the translations that were not required during our initial application. He brought with him a detailed list of the documents submitted and a succinct explanation of the line of descent. Five weeks later--citizenship.
sophia22

Post by sophia22 »

I hate to beat a dead horse, but is it normal to wait 6 months JUST TO BE GIVEN AN APPOINTMENT? I have a receipt from their office, but have not received email, voicemail, snailmail....anything regarding APPOINTMENT DATE.

Thanks!
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

That does not seem normal. You should get an appointment date immediately. Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you had already submitted your application. Was this the number you called? 973 643 1448 ext. 238
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I recently made an appt with Philly and its a 15 month wait. I dont get in until June 2011!

Alicia
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

The fifteen-month wait is typical. If you've been waiting six months simply to get an appointment, something is wrong.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

What I did was call and left a message on voice mail and sent an email the same day figuring they would get back to me one way or the other. They never called but they did respond to my email.

Alicia
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Did they set up an appointment in their e-mail?
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Yes.They told me the next available date and get back to them with my address and phone number?

Alicia
sophia22

Post by sophia22 »

No, I've never called Newark, but I suppose it's time I do. I went in August with my application and supporting paperwork. She said everything looked good and gave me a receipt. She said they'd contact me by mail for by phone with an appointment date. And so far.....nothing. I will call 973.643.1448 ext.238 between 2:30 and 4 p.m.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Did you leave your documents with her?
lanico

Post by lanico »

My husband sent his application by certified mail Aug 11, 2009 and we followed up with email Aug 24 and received this reply:

Your application was received. Unfortunately at this time the office of
citizenship cannot estimate the wait time for an appointment.
Regards,

So, we still wait for an appointment - seems this is the "norm" for Newark.