Searching for manifest info for Vincenzo DE LUCA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Searching for manifest info for Vincenzo DE LUCA

Post by Rodio »

I am searching for info on my GGGF, Vincenzo (aka James) DE LUCA. I have received previous info about him searching for other family members on this website. I already have his 1900, 1910 and 1920 census info.

I am wondering if someone could find a manifest for his arrival into the US; census records list year of arrival as 1895 or 1896. He was living in Uruguay in 1889; his daughter was born there. His wife and children arrived in the US in 1901 from Centola, Salerno. I think he was born in Italy, lived in Uruguay for a while, moved back to Italy, then came to the US--but I am only guessing about this. He may have come to the US straight from Uruguay as well.

The 1900 census lists his probable DOB as Aug 1859. The 1910 census also has 1859. The 1920 census lists he was born in approx 1860. He lived in the Hazleton, PA area. He likely emigrated from the Campania region in Italy.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have no info on his place of birth, any naturalization records (if they exist) or his date of death--before 1930, as he is not on that census, but his wife is, and she is listed as a widow.
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Searching for manifest info for Vincenzo DE LUCA

Post by Rodio »

OK, I found his info on castle garden. He arrived on the ship SUEVIA from Naples, on 30 Apr 1895. Can anyone find a copy of the manifest for me, please? I would like to know if his city of last residence is listed on the manifest. Thanks.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the manifest you requested.
However, the De Luca listed is Gius. (Giuseppe). Passenger #397
Early manifests provide only the country of origin, usually not the city. :(

T.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7990/d ... st1895.jpg
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rodio »

Thanks, Tessa!
bbfuoco

Post by bbfuoco »

In the Indice Decennale di Matrimonio 1886-1895, for Centola Italy, there is an 1894 marriage between Vincenzo Di Luca (son of Giuseppe) and Carmela Pacelli. The Pacelli family of Centola had many members in Hazleton and wrote a wonderful family story which includes histories of Hazleton and Centola. It is available online. http://www.hermes.campania.it/0308/Pace ... istory.pdf

Films which would have a copy of the marriage record I referred to are available at your local LDS Family History Center. There are several films from Centola which will help you with birth, marriage and death records for your family.