Tessitore from Caizza Caserta Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
skarandy

Tessitore from Caizza Caserta Italy

Post by skarandy »

I am looking for information on Domenico Tessitore who was born about 1868 in Caiazzo, Caserta Italy. His father was Antonio Tessitore. He had at least one brother, Stephen. His wife was Luica. She died in Italy, but Domenico died in Schenectady, NY --an accident while working on the railroad. Does anyone have any information on this family?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Tessitore from Caizza Caserta Italy

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum! :-)

What kinds of information are you looking for? What research have you done? Do you have the census records, immigration records, etc?

edit: There is a Family tree for Domenico Tessitore on Ancestry, is that yours?

We will be happy to assist you in any way we can.

T.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

skarandy wrote:His wife was Luica
just in the case you didn't know... :D

Lucia's maiden name was Milano.... I noticed that Domenico Tessitore, at his 1904 arrival in NYC stated he was joining his brother in law Domenico Milano in Schenectady...
Then I found two 1907 arrival manifests for a Lucia Milano:

the first one, january 1907:

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0024

All names are crossed out so they didn't traveled on that boat....

and this other, august 1907:

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0009

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0009

Her name is crossed out, it means she didn't travel on that boat...
However her dates are correct:

Milano Lucia, age 38, married, from Caiazzo, leaving in Italy her sister Teresa Milano, travelling with her child Tessitore Stefano (age 9) and Tessitore Luigi (age 6) joining her husband Domenico Tessitore in Schenectady...

Laura
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Great find Laura! Way to get us rolling... :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a manifest for Antonio Tessitore, 15, from Caiazzo, leaving mother Lucia in Caiazzo. He was in US in 1907-1908 in Schenectady, NY. His destination is to his father Domenico, in Roundout, West Virginia.
SS Cretic arriving NY 17 September 1911

Page 1 (line 10)

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4056 ... anifes.jpg

Page 2

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4056 ... anifes.jpg

T.
skarandy

Post by skarandy »

Thanks so much for replying. When they crossed out names does that mean they made a reservation for the boat, but did not ultimately get on the boat? That might be why I always heard that Lucia Milano never came to America. I heard she also went blind. I know that either Stephano or Luigi came over later for a visit.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Seems that there was another son, Antonio who came here as you can see from the above manifest. In fact, Antonio is listed on line 25 of the FIRST manifest link that Laura posted for you. Brothers Stefano and Luigi on lines 26 and 27.
Still looking for the manifest for Stefano or Luigi arriving USA.

Usually "crossed out" on the manifest means they did not sail...for any number of reasons.

T.
skarandy

Post by skarandy »

Yes, Antonio is the grandfather of my husband. He lived here in Schenectady, NY for many years. His father Domenico was killed when Antonio (Anthony) was about 13. He was killed working on the railroad and the train ran over him. Antonio was left here with no mother or father. Domenico Milano (relative of Lucia Milano?) was the person they lived with when they first arrived and I think Antonio lived with Domenico after his father died.
Is there any way to find out more about Domenico Tessitore's father Antonio Tessitore? Where he lived, etc.?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You can write to the Stato Civile (town hall) in Caiazzo, Caserta and request the birth record of Domenico Tessitore. That will tell you who his parents were. Here is a link that provides information about the process and form letters in Italian to make your request.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... ello2.html

Address for City Hall in Caiazzo is written as follows:
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazzeta Martiri Caiatini, 1
81013 Caiazzo (CE)
ITALY

T.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

You might want to also request the death record. I know he died in USA but often the Italian Consulate was informed about the death of Italian nationals. I found tow death records for the same family who died in accidents in USA: They gave details of the cause of death, name of funeral parlour, cemetery, hospital they died in etc. Amazing!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
batessitore

Post by batessitore »

i am wondering if this is a relative of my husband's father, stephen tessitore from schenectady, ny also...his father was joseph and also worked on the railroad....my father in law had 4 brothers..dominic, anthony, louigi, patsy....patsy was born in italy and the rest of the brothers were born in ny....must be related i would think...
batessitore

Post by batessitore »

Well, since my last post, we are now living in Caiazzo and just met Domenico Tessitore who is the grandson of the Domenico who died in Schenectady. He told us about it yesterday. He is about 83 I think and he has restored some paintings or murals in the cathedral here that were damaged. We are in the process to find out exactly where the family connection is to my husband. We have met so many Tessitores here! All really wonderful people!
justinfrombklyn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by justinfrombklyn »

hi i just saw this post. i am related to the tessitore's as well as many other families from caiazzo in caserta italy. i private message you my number please call me i can provide more information.
Justin