I need help reading these postcards

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

I need help reading these postcards

Post by lljg »

Hi everyone! I am new to this site, but I am VERY excited about what I may find out about my ancestors from Italy!! I have 3 postcards that were my Great Grandmother's. I know they were from a priest, but I can't read them. Can anyone help me?

Thank you very much!!

Jean
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: I need help reading these postcards

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jean! Welcome to the forum :-D

We would love to help you...

Scan the postcards and post to an image-sharing site like www.imageshack.com

Copy the direct link code and post it here at the forum.

T.
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Thank you Tessa! Here is the link -- I hope this is what is needed (I've never used this site or anything like it!):

http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php

Thanks again!
Jean
Jean

Researching ancestors/relatives from/in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (and possibly other parts of Italy) - surnames: Vollero/Vollaro, Munno, Russo, de Rosa, Rauso, Santora, Longo
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

SORRY -- I just realized that I got a url -- here it is to access the postcards

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/lljg/

Thanks again!!

Jean
Jean

Researching ancestors/relatives from/in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (and possibly other parts of Italy) - surnames: Vollero/Vollaro, Munno, Russo, de Rosa, Rauso, Santora, Longo
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jean,

Post card # 1 written to Umberto in Pittsburgh
"I will remember you always with much affection. Greetings and kisses to all." signed: Ferdinando D'Amore (sp?)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Postcard # 2 is addressed to Mrs. Mary Vollero in Pittsburgh.

Signed by Father Guido Santoro
He writes that he received her letter about celebrating a mass in honor of the Madonna od Montevergine. He tells her that he said it in the sanctuary on August 20. He mentions that the picture on the postcard shows the new church honoring the Madonna. He sends his greetings and hopes all is good with her, and thanks her for her offering for the mass. One day he will write to her son (?) Giachino (sp?). He signs it with sincere regards.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Postcard #3 is also to Mrs. Mary Vollero from Fr. Santoro

"Memories
Greetings
Good Wishes"

Postcard and postmark are from Montecatini Terme (which is noted for its hot springs/spa)

T.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Tessa78 wrote:Postcard # 2 is addressed to Mrs. Mary Vollero in Pittsburgh.

Signed by Father Guido Santoro
He writes that he received her letter about celebrating a mass in honor of the Madonna od Montevergine. He tells her that he said it in the sanctuary on August 20. He mentions that the picture on the postcard shows the new church honoring the Madonna. He sends his greetings and hopes all is good with her, and thanks her for her offering for the mass. In a few days he will write to her son Gaetano. He signs it with sincere regards.

T.
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

God Bless You Tessa and Livio! I can't tell you what this means to me. Unfortunately, my Grandma passed away when I was 3 years old -- and, of course, I never knew my Great Grandmother as she passed away many years before I was born. I only know how sweet and kind she was, as described by my Mom. I know very little about my Italy family. Thank you for helping me to learn a bit more!!

Sincerely,
Jean
Jean

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I found the following website about the Santuario di Montevergine which is what is named on the postcard above the priest's signature.

http://www.santuariodimontevergine.com/ ... igini.aspx
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The date on the last postcard is 8 September 1960, from Montecatini Terme, Pistoia Province.

The date on the postmark for your second image looks like 22 August 1959, from Mercogliano, Avellino.

T.

edited: The first postcard is from Gibraltar. My guess is that this priest was traveling.
T.
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Thanks maestra36! I should have noticed that! Given what the priest wrote, does this mean that this was his church??
Jean

lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Oh - and if it is his church, could I write to them to find out more about this priest? Is this proper? He obviously had a relationship with my GGM and her family.
Jean

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Santuario Di Montevergine?
83013 Mercogliano AV, Italy

The Sanctuary is located in Mercogliano, Avellino.

On the website I gave you in my other post, there is a place to send an email. You have nothing to lose by trying. The link to email on the website is below:

http://www.santuariodimontevergine.com/ ... tatti.aspx

Since the postmark in 1960 was from another location, perhaps Father Santoro was traveling, as T has pointed out.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

There shouldn't be a question mark after the name of the sanctuary in my post above. Sorry.