ancestry. com Potenza, Basilicata records

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
vj
Master
Master

ancestry. com Potenza, Basilicata records

Post by vj »

ancestry. com has added this to their list of new records

Potenza, Basilicata, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1861-1938
Source Information
Ancestry. com. Potenza, Basilicata, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1861-1938 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry. com Operations, Inc., 2010.

Original data: Tribunali di Lagonegro e Potenza, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1866-1938. Civil records collected from various towns throughout the province of Potenza, Basilicata, Italy.
This database contains births, marriages, marriage banns, deaths, allegati (enclosures or supplemental records), and citizenship records for comuni (towns) in the southern Italian province of Potenza from 1866-1938. Due to privacy laws of the Italian government, records that contain any information dated within the last 100 years (after 1910) cannot be displayed online. Death records, however, are exempt from this restriction and are available in this database through 1938. A copy or a certificate of a record can be requested from the local town hall. See samples of letters for requesting certificates in the learning center on this website.

The keeping of vital records for the unified Kingdom of Italy started in 1866. In the southern part of the country, formerly under the Kingdom of The Two Sicilies, it started in 1809 with the exception of Sicily in 1820.
---

Many libraries and some Family History Centers offer the Ancestry. com Library Edition for free on site. Many libraries list their free databases on their website.
This is from Ancestry's partner ProQuest:
http://www.proquest.com/en-US/catalogs/ ... /ale.shtml
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: ancestry. com Potenza, Basilicata records

Post by maestra36 »

Thanks for the information, Valarie. I haven't needed a subscription to ancestry in years, but am helping one cousin and one close friend with their Italian ancestries.

I'm looking for marriage information for a Marco Pacella and wife Maria Paradiso, married around 1890 or 1891. The only town name we have comes from the 1893 passenger list I found for them, and it is Avigliano, but this was their last residence and not necessarily their place of birth. Marco's father was probably a Vincenzo, but I need the date of marriage as well as the parents' names for both spouses.

Another thing I am looking for is in the town of Bella. I know the microfilmed records for that town only go to 1865 or 1866. I am looking for a marriage date for Giuseppe Martone and Lucia Vitello, around 1875. Have already emailed the anagrafe office, but nothing yet. It's been close to a month, so may have to send a second email. Also looking to find all of their children born in the 1870s and 1880s. Already know of the ones in the early 1890s.

If anyone can help with either of these, it would be most appreciated.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Valarie
I was so excited with the news that I posted my searches to this thread when I shouldn't have. I apologize.
Peg
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Thank you Valarie!
hugs,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi Peg :D ,
I think this post is fine for your question.
I looked at the records. The marriage records are there but not indexed. 1890 is about 70 pages.
If I were better at reading Italian records :? I'd page thru them for you.
Valarie

Hey suanj :D ,
It looks like ancestry. com is really making progress!
Valarie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

yes Valarie, ancestry.com is the best!

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
dzarello
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dzarello »

That is good news!!! Im hoping I can find information on my gggrandfather Vincenzo Zarriello who was born in Muro Lucano in 1868. I am so excited, I cannot contain myself!! :D
Researching surnames Zarello, Zarriello, and now Crusco
One of my greatest accomplishments was finding out for sure that I am of Italian descent.
My greatest mystery is finding out who Vincenzo Zarriello was.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

maestra36 wrote:Thanks for the information, Valarie. I haven't needed a subscription to ancestry in years, but am helping one cousin and one close friend with their Italian ancestries.

I'm looking for marriage information for a Marco Pacella and wife Maria Paradiso, married around 1890 or 1891. The only town name we have comes from the 1893 passenger list I found for them, and it is Avigliano, but this was their last residence and not necessarily their place of birth. Marco's father was probably a Vincenzo, but I need the date of marriage as well as the parents' names for both spouses.

Another thing I am looking for is in the town of Bella. I know the microfilmed records for that town only go to 1865 or 1866. I am looking for a marriage date for Giuseppe Martone and Lucia Vitello, around 1875. Have already emailed the anagrafe office, but nothing yet. It's been close to a month, so may have to send a second email. Also looking to find all of their children born in the 1870s and 1880s. Already know of the ones in the early 1890s.

If anyone can help with either of these, it would be most appreciated.
Peg
I found the banner of marriage of 13 march 1891:
groom: Marco Pacella, farmer, age 21 born and resident in Sant'Ilario ( Atella) son of late Vincenzo and of Domenica Maria Tolefini( no much readable the surname) both of Sant'Ilario;

bride: Antonia Paradiso, farmer, age 16 born and resident in Avigliano daughter of unknown parents

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2922/marcopacella.jpg
so they married after the date of banner marriage... I searched until the 18 june 1891 and no marriage act... maybe married after or in Sant'Ilario( Atella)
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

WOW :D suanj
What a terrific find
Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

dzarello wrote:That is good news!!! Im hoping I can find information on my gggrandfather Vincenzo Zarriello who was born in Muro Lucano in 1868. I am so excited, I cannot contain myself!! :D
Oh my,
It appears that for 1868 in Muro Lucano so far only the death records are posted
If you haven’t written to Muro Lucano for your gggrandfather’s 1868 birth record yet, the following may help
Valarie
---

Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Address:

Comune di Muro Lucano
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Roma 39
85054 Muro Lucano PZ
ITALY

http://www.tuttitalia.it/basilicata/58-muro-lucano/
---

Website for finding comune addresses:
http://www.nonsolocap.it/

Valarie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

thank you Valarie! and thanks for helpful new abt Potenza, Basilicata, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1861-1938... it are many towns but no all... but is very helpful equally!
Hugs,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Suanj
I am speechless. and I know my close friends will be as well when I give them news about their ancestor. Thank you so much for locating the information for me. Her complete first name was Mariantonia, I am not surprised that she is of unknown parents, as they told me that the family story is that she was raised in a convent by nuns. Thank you so much again.
Peg
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Happy of to help!
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

They are really doing an amazing job with Italy, I love my Ancestry World membership! These 1866-1938 original images are not even available through the LDS church.
dzarello
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dzarello »

vj wrote:
dzarello wrote:That is good news!!! Im hoping I can find information on my gggrandfather Vincenzo Zarriello who was born in Muro Lucano in 1868. I am so excited, I cannot contain myself!! :D
Oh my,
It appears that for 1868 in Muro Lucano so far only the death records are posted
If you haven’t written to Muro Lucano for your gggrandfather’s 1868 birth record yet, the following may help
Valarie
---

Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Address:

Comune di Muro Lucano
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Roma 39
85054 Muro Lucano PZ
ITALY

http://www.tuttitalia.it/basilicata/58-muro-lucano/
---

Website for finding comune addresses:
http://www.nonsolocap.it/

Valarie
Val,

Thanks for checking for me. Its too bad that they dont have any of the births listed for that year. Oh well, at least they are making huge progress. :) Hopefully soon they will have that info. available.
Thanks again Val. Your always a big help! :D
Researching surnames Zarello, Zarriello, and now Crusco
One of my greatest accomplishments was finding out for sure that I am of Italian descent.
My greatest mystery is finding out who Vincenzo Zarriello was.