Ancestor Birth/Marriage Records Information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sierra172

Ancestor Birth/Marriage Records Information

Post by Sierra172 »

Hi there, I hope that someone can please help me with a problem. My ancestor, Felice Bombacie (or a variation of that name like Bombacio or Bombaci or Bombace) was born in Italy on Oct 2, 1841 (my relatives tell me that they feel he was from Bari, Italy but this is not verified). He married Maria Sofia Pollio born in Italy also about December 1863. They were married in New York City, NY on November 26, 1887 and I do have a copy of their marriage certificate. This is what it shows:

Full name of groom – Felice Bombacio
Place of Birth – Italy
Father’s name – Ferdinand
Mothers Maiden Name – Maria Santorro

Full name of bride – Maria Sofia Pollio
Place of Birth – Italy
Father’s name – Ferdinando
Mothers Maiden Name – Carolina (no last name but I suspect it is either Cirollo or Cerutto as I have found 2 sisters in the USA)

I cannot find any records of birth for Felice or his parents. I even tried to search out his parents names and go from there but I am not sure when they were born or when they were married. Since Felice was born October 2, 1841 I was searching for his parents marriage from 1820-1850 with no luck. Maria Santoro Bombacie was born in December 1863 and I am unable to find a record of her birth either. I would love it if anyone can help me find any of these ancestors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance! :D
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Ancestor Birth/Marriage Records Information

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Sierra 172 :)

When you say you have searched for the birth records...where specifically have you searched?

Have you used the LDS Family History Center microfilms?

Or have you concentrated on online sources?

We will help you in whatever way we can...

T.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Are you absolutely sure they were coming from Bari (Apulia region)?

this is because I found out that both Bombace and Pollio lastnames are mainly present in the Campania region...
Full name of bride – Maria Sofia Pollio
Place of Birth – Italy
Father’s name – Ferdinando
Mothers Maiden Name – Carolina (no last name but I suspect it is either Cirollo or Cerutto as I have found 2 sisters in the USA)
if these are the sisters you're referring to:

Maria Luigia Pollio
Female Family
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: , , Italy
Christening:
Death:
Burial:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: Ferdinando Pollio
Mother: Carolina Cirolli
Marriages:
Spouse: Germano Cantolupi
Marriage: 27 JUN 1881 Manhattan, New York, New York

Maria B. Pollio
Female Family
Event(s):
Birth: , , Italy
Christening:
Death:
Burial:
Parents:
Father: Ferdinanta Pollio
Mother: Carolina Cerutto
Marriages:
Spouse: Antonio Savarese Family
Marriage: 02 OCT 1884 Manhattan, New York, New York

then, what about this 1899 arrival manifest for:

Carolina Cerullo, age 77, married, coming from Positano (Salerno Province, Campania region) going to NYC to join her child Salvatore and Raffaele Pollio (there is a notation telling she had 7 children in NYC...?)

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0005

Usually immigrants used to marry people form the same towns or areas they came from...

It's just a little advice.... :wink:

Laura
Sierra172

Post by Sierra172 »

Hi Laura,

I think you found the correct Carolina! I guess she never was from Bari. I do know the name Raffaele Pollio as that was the name of one of the marriage witnesses on their certificate. What do you think happened to her husband, Ferdinando? Do you think he passed away previously?

Also, what are your thoughts on Ferdinando Bombacio and Maria Santoro? I have not been able to find anything on them. Do you think they may have been from the Bari area?

Thanks so much for your help!
Sierra172

Post by Sierra172 »

Hi Tessa78,

I have only checked online for this information but I do have a Marriage Certificate in hand that I ordered and received from the city of NY. I do not know where to go from here regarding Ferdinand Bombacio (grooms father) or Maria Santoro (grooms mother). I think that the Carolina Cerullo (mother of the bride, Maria Sofia Pollio) found by Laura above is the correct Carolina but I don't know what happened to her husband, Ferdinando Pollio (father of the bride). Any thoughts?

I know that Ferdinand and Maria's son, Felice came to the USA in the 1880s. From where in Italy, I do not know though. My relatives tell me Bari but that cannot be confirmed. I am not sure if he had other siblings either.

Thanks for your help!