Antonio Scialla nascita

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

Re: Antonio Scialla nascita

Post by oilman19 »

Thank you both. You are wonderful. :)
Just a couple of questions, please.
1. Maria was a single housewife (never married)?
2. I didn't understand Maria's parents. Were they residents of S.M.?
3. From everything you see in the document, Antonio will probably continue to carry the surname Scialla?
Thank you again for your help. :)

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

the document says she was a nubile which is an unmarried woman, so yes, that means she was not previously married
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

it states that both of her parents, when they were alive, were residents in Aversa.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
That info appears on lines 3 and 4 of image #3.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Peg,
I didn't understand Aversa as a location.
So, only Maria was a resident of S.M.? That may be why I haven't been able to connect her to the Scialla's on my family tree.
Thank you for your quick response.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
I haven't been able to access the family history center library catalog the last few days to look at the list of microfilms available for SMCV. I wanted to see if there were any acts of recognition on these rolls of film -either a notary's record or other legal record which would state that his surname was legally changed. Also, what year do the marriage records for this town go to on the microfilms? I am wondering if there would a marriage record for him on the films and what the surname on that record would be?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Aversa is in the Campania Region of Caserta Province
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Just a question...

I can see where Agostino was a resident of Aversa, but can't find Aversa attached to Teresa Gravino's name...only "in vita" with a word after it...
:-?

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

the word after in vita is ivi which means there
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Ahhh, yes ! :-D

Thanks.

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I think I have a reasonably clear picture now, due to the great help you folks have provided me. I couldn't get to 1st base on that document.

Peg, I think the LDS Library site is down for a while. I was unable to get in while at my LDS center on Tuesday. No one knew why.
You mentioned looking for a marriage record for Antonio. Did I miss something, or was there a notation somewhere about his marriage?

Thank you Tessa and Peg. You are the greatest!

Jim
Jim

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
I mentioned looking for a marriage record for Antonio only because you would get to see what surname he used on it. There is no mention of his marriage in either his birth record or his parents' marriage record. That does not mean, however, that he didn't marry in the town. Births records for an individual do not always have marriage notations on them. I was just trying to be creative in my approach to determining whether or not his surname ever was changed. I was trying to leave no stone unturned, so to speak.
Peg
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Peg,
I just wanted to be sure I hadn't missed anything. I will try to remember his name as I review my films, but without any clue as to whether he ever got married, or when, that could be a challenge in a town as large as S.M. I can't remember how many matrimoni's are listed every year but the nascitas exceed 700/year.
However, if I see Scialla, I will scan it. So, the challenge is to remember his father's surname which I had not been seeking.
In addition, it is looking like his ancestral ties to S.M. (and to my Scialla's of S.M.) are very vague. I have been able to link most Scialla's in S.M. to my family tree. The few that haven't yet qualified are probably cousins. Antonio's only connection seems to be that his mother lived there when he was born. I haven't discounted the fact that his grandfather could have been born in S.M. and moved out when he got married. Still have lots of possibilities. Please excuse my ramblings. I sometimes get carried away when thinking out loud.
Thank you again, Peg. Your insight is always appreciated.

Jim
Jim

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
If the marriage records have indexes on them, and he used the father's last name, Caliandro, he would probably be the only person in the town with that surname and easy to find.
Peg
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

You are right and some do have indexes. Unfortunately, my experience has been such that I review the nascita and morti indexes and not the matrimoni indexes. They are the hardest to read. The participants names are jammed into a space designed for one name and it makes for quite a challenge to decipher what it says. I have found that reviewing each atti di matrimonio record serves me best because there are 3 places where the name appears. With my limited skills at reading Italian script, I have a better opportunity to recognize a name I am seeking.
However, I will keep a lookout for that name.
I am confident this question will be answered eventually and I will watch the names carefully.
I have discovered a few more strange happenings on my records I am reviewing that will probably require the expertise of the forum members. I will post them on a new thread later on. They are the kinds of things that I keep saying to myself "that isn't supposed to happen" and there it is. So, I guess the more records I find, some mysteries will be solved and more will take their place. I'd better retire so that I may be able to spend more time on this adventure. :)

Thank you, Peg.

Jim
Jim