Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Post by chrisdamato »

I have previously written about my great grandmother Antonette. She was born in Laurenzana, Italy in 1888. We do not yet know when she died, although it is believed to be sometime around 1920. NYC has no death record for an Antonette Fernandes (she married Aniello Fernandes). There is an Anna Fernandez that died right about the time we believe she would have died.

Anyway, there are two interesting items that have recently surfaced. First, I found her actual birth record from Laurenzana. She was born May 13, 1888. Her birth is record #42 for that year. I know her mother's name was Rosa Esposito. However, on the birth record, it appears that her father is not listed. Can somebody take a look at it for me and confirm this?

Also, I checked the marriage records for NYC and found an Aniello Fernandez with bride Antonette in May of 1912 (cert #11611). Unfortunately, the bride Antonette has maiden name Aragusa. Maybe there is a mistake?? Could her name have been Aragusa instead of Missanelli? If so, why is her mother listed as Massanelli on death certificate but as Esposito on ship manifest when they came to America?

HELP!!!
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Re: Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Post by chrisdamato »

Tried to add attachment but it doesn't work for me. Any suggestions?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

chris, in the births of Laurenzana of 1888 I cannot find the Antonietta Massanelli birth record....
here the index of all children born( surname starting with "M") in the 1888 in Laurenzana
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/8840 ... enzana.jpg
you sure abt the year?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ahhhh... Antonietta was born in ANZI and the surname is MISSANELLI and the mother was Rosa MISSANELLI single; the baby girl was born from Rosa with union with a man, single, that no recognized the baby

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

Sorry about the confusion. So, we don't know the father's name because he didn't want anything to do with Rosa and the baby????
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

and who know abt that... simply: no recognized the child... and no name...
nothing....
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

That's too bad. That branch is probably going to be a dead end. Where do you think the name Aragusa came from? I don't know if that's my Antonietta, but as soon as I get the record from NYC, I'll know for sure. Perhaps an adopted name?
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

Also, she must have married somebody by the name of Missanelli. Otherwise the baby would have been Antonietta Esposito.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

chrisdamato wrote:Also, she must have married somebody by the name of Missanelli. Otherwise the baby would have been Antonietta Esposito.
me too think so... I searched until 1890 and no marriage for Rosa Missanelli, maybe she married after ...
but if you read the 1900 census

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2866 ... census.jpg

Rosa is listed with her maiden surname .. and is the mother of Joannah(?) Mento wife of Vincenzo Mento...
Joannah marriage:
Mento Vincent Apr 29 1895 6491 (1895) Manhattan
Massanello Giovennina Apr 29 1895 6491 (1895) Manhattan

so Rosa had another daughter.....

I no understand why you say that Rosa was Rosa Esposito and not Rosa Missanelli... maybe Rosa married in USA???

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Suanj
There was another thread by the same author for the same ancestors. The thread was called Massanelli Ancestors. That thread should have been continued with this new mystery because now you are duplicating some of the info already posted on the other thread. If you read through the other thread, you will see why he is stuck on the name Rosa Esposito. It was only a suggestion based on a passenger list I found. He was supposed to find documentation to prove that Rosa's maiden name was Esposito, which I don't believe he has.
Peg
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

chrisdamato wrote:Also, she must have married somebody by the name of Missanelli. Otherwise the baby would have been Antonietta Esposito.
Hi Peg, because on the thread chris mentioning Rosa Esposito as mother of Antonietta Missanelli( real surname), I explained that I no understand where the Esposito surname came in, because in 1900 census no doubts that Antonietta Missanelli mother was Rosa Missanelli, having Rosa the her maiden name....
if I added the marriage record abt Antonietta sister, it is only for better explain.. you know that chris had some trouble in the find of Antonietta birthact, because she was born in Anzi and not in Laurenzana, so my reply was not for to make a duplicate info, but just for understand better abt
Antonietta...
I know IG forum very well and I had no intention of to make a duplicate info, just i replied at chris abt my doubts...
all the best,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Suanj
I'm sorry, but I think you misunderstood me. I was just trying to tell you why Chris thinks that Esposito is Rosa's maiden name. The surname Esposito was on a passenger list that I had found. On that passenger list, Rosa Esposito was traveling with a daughter named Giovannina (but there was no last name Giovannina on the passenger list). This Giovannina was born about the same year as Rosa Missanelli's daughter who married Vincent Mento. There also was a child named Antonetta Missanelli on the same passenger list. The last names on the passenger list were in alphabetical order, so I couldn't tell who the child Antonetta was traveling with.
I wasn't saying that you made a duplicate thread. I was saying that Chris did.
Peg
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Peg,
thanks for explaining...
I wish to think abt that, but I believe that Rosa Esposito was no Rosa Missanelli, maybe she accompanied Antonietta in USA from sister or mother, because she coming from same town, and maybe friend or related in some way...
the ship's manifest was made by passports, so her name must be Rosa Missanelli; in 1888 she was unmarried.. and until 1890 I no found marriage record, but I wish search again after 1890...maybe I can find some helpful clue...

she died as Rosa Missanelli so maybe never married... maybe finding Rosa Missanelli arrival before or after 1892.... the mystery can be solved...
all the best,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

Hi everyone.

I apologize for having duplicate threads. I guess I didn't realize that I should have use the old thread instead of creating a new one.

I am understanding that you are not convinced that Rosa's surname was Esposito. I based that on the fact that Giovannina was accompanying her and the ages matched, as well as the fact that Antonietta was on the same manifest. I had already known about her sister, so I assumed it was the proper person.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Chris: by birth act of Antonietta Missanelli the mother was Rosa Missanelli, unmarried.. and because
- the italian birthacts are all very precise and no doubts abt that
-because the ship's manifests was made by passports the possibilities are two:
1. or Rosa Missanelli married no in Anzi between 1888 and 1892
2. or the Rosa Esposito is only a person that accompanied Antonietta in USA ....
but Rosa Missanelli died under her maiden name; also she declared that was widow... but that is impossible, because in Antonietta birth she was single, and no married in Anzi until 1892..
- also I searched the birth of Giovannina and nobody Giovannina or Giovanna Missanelli result born in Anzi from 1874 to 1879...

so something in this search is wrong... also the fact that a Aniello Fernandes resulting married at Antonietta Aragusa seeming strange....
I found a marriage of a Antonietta Misonelli married at Jerry Galoppa:
Galoppa Jerry Jul 16 1906 6293 (1906) Kings
Misonelli Antonetta Jul 16 1906 6293 (1906) Kings
but you said that Antonietta was married at Aniello Fernandes...

I know not all complete story of your ancestors, so I cannot go back to first records...
if you want, you can explain us better as you started the search?

What sure data you had and the steps of search?
If you already made it in other thread let me know.... so I can read abt that.
Because something matching not...
It are several Missanelli in Potenza area and maybe also some other Antonietta Missanelli....

all the best,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH