Petrizzo family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
capeto2

Petrizzo family

Post by capeto2 »

Looking for information on Michele Petrizzo family. Immigrated around 1901 from Sassano. He was born in 1878 and died in 1922 in Chicago. His wife was Marianna D'Amato also from Sassano. She immigrated in 1905 with two kids. They went on two have 5 more children all born in Chicago. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Petrizzo family

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello :-)

What US records do you have? Census, ship manifest, naturalization?

What are the names of the children? Did they always live in Chicago?

T.
capeto2

Post by capeto2 »

I have the Ellis Island manifest from 1904, although census records say he immigrated in 1901 originally. I have 1910 and 1920 census both in Chicago. I have his death record. Listing his parents as Dominick Petrizzo and Rosa (can't read her last name unforunately.) Their kids were Dominick, Rosie, Mabel, Josephine, Thomas, Joseph and Lewis. I have no idea if they all stayed in Chicago or not. I know Dominick did, my great grandfather he died in 1927 in Chicago.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

capeto2 wrote:I have the Ellis Island manifest from 1904, although census records say he immigrated in 1901 originally...
Hi!
Just for reference, is this the 1904 manifest?
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0021

traveling with his brother and sister (and her family)

It also states that he was in the US 1901-1902 like his census

Valarie
capeto2

Post by capeto2 »

Yes, that is the manifest that I have. I just don't know that those are his brother's and sisters. I can assume that, but I am not sure how I would prove that. Any ideas?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The manifest that Valarie posted shows a notation "bro" next to Michele's name. I think you can safely assume that he is the brother of Demetrio.

They are going to brother Giuseppe...

Then Maria Petrizzo, wife of Francesco Riccio, may be his sister since Francesco has destination as brother-in-law Giuseppe Petrizzo.

Last lines...Vincenzo, Antonia, and Francesco (with their mother Anna Femminella) are going to her husband Giuseppe Petrizzo, so they are probably the nephews of Michele, Demetrio and Maria...

Other documentation would certainly prove it!

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a manifest for 1907 for Domenico, 63, (and son Demetrio, 29) Petrizzo from Sassano, going to Chicago, IL to son Michele.

Lines 17 and 18
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0018

Strangely, Demetrio appears on another page of the manifest on line 1...same ship same date...to brother Michele. Maybe the father didn't sail...

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0001

T.
capeto2

Post by capeto2 »

Thanks again for all the help! I have seen that manifest from 1907 and have had such a hard time reading it, I couldn't make out if it said Chicago or not. It's nice to have different sets of eyes reading the same things. I have had a harder time tracking this family. Even finding death certifiates or birth certificates of their children (once in US) has not been easy. For example I know Dominick Petrizzo (b.1899) married Margaret Doody (b. 1903) but I haven't been able to locate that document. Finding documents have been hard, but enojoyable!