Searching for info on grandfather from Celico (Consenza Cala

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dianesato

Searching for info on grandfather from Celico (Consenza Cala

Post by dianesato »

I have been looking for any information on Ercole Dozzino (Ettore Dozzino) 1887-1964. He is my grandfather. He changed his name to Ercole Rozzoni when he settled in Kenosha Wisconsin in 1912. I am trying to find his family in Italy. It said that he was taken in by the Mantuano family and raised. I have searched any info I could in the last 5 years and have found nothing. He married Dorothea Casomino and had lived in Rota Greca with their daughter Maria Gesella Dozzino before departing to the US. I would appreciate any help that anyone could provide.
Thank you!
Diane
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Searching for info on grandfather from Celico (Consenza

Post by Seraphina »

Hi Diane,

Have you seen the Ellis Island record for 10th June 1913 when his wife and daughter arrived in NY from Naples on the "Berlin"?

I just mention it in case you weren't aware of it. His wife travelled under her own name (spelt wrongly on the Manifest) and their 4 year old daughter under her own name, Maria Dozzina.

Seraphina
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Did a quick check.

The surname Dozzino or Dozzina does not exist now in Italy.

The surname Rozzoni occurs exclusively in northern Italy - Lombardia - (with the exception of 1 in the far south of Puglia, southern Italy) - and these are in and around Milano.

I don't know if this helps at all.

Seraphina
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

dianesato wrote:...He married Dorothea Casomino and had lived in Rota Greca with their daughter Maria Gesella Dozzino before departing to the US.
Diane,

Based on the June 13, 1913 manifest, your grandmother's name was Casimira (given name) Dorotea (surname). The manifest seems to be quite clear on this point. See lines 27 and 28 below.

They were coming to meet Casimira's husband / Maria's father, Ercole Rozzino.

Maria's birth name appears to be Dozzina, not Dozzino.

Manifest page 1: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... apage1.jpg

Manifest page 2: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... apage2.jpg

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
dianesato

Post by dianesato »

Thank you both..I have seen this info all except where the Rozzonis reside in Italy now. My family is from the far south as the faliy has said. Seraphina might be on to something. Johnny thank you for your help. If you can come up with more detail I might consider speaking with you.
Diane
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, I believe that for to find your Ettore/Ercole Dozzino/a birth you can search in Celico civil records by LDS microfilms
Registri dello stato civile di Celico (Cosenza), 1809-1910 Celico (Cosenza). Ufficio dello stato civile
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... ++di++Celi++

this surname, also in various spelling, never existing in all Cosenza province from 1800 to 1900 and also currently, nobody have this surname or surname versions in all Italy, so, only searching in Celico birth you can descover more abt your ancestor ...
hoping helpful,
suanj

PS however by ancestry.com seeming that Ercole died in 1965:

Wisconsin Death Index, 1959-1997
about Ercole Rozzoni
Name: Ercole Rozzoni
Sex: M (Male)
Birth Date: abt 1888
Death Date: 22 Feb 1965
Certificate: 004257
maybe Ercole/Ettore born in Celico as by ship's manifest and raised from Mantovano family in Rota Greca ( no Mantuano); in Rota Greca was 2 families Mantovano surname;
households:
Mantovano Camillo b. 07/04/1864 ROTA GRECA
Mantovano Dionisio b. --/--/1853 ROTA GRECA
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
dianesato

Post by dianesato »

Hi Suanj,
After looking at your post more clearly, I noticed that you stated that there was NO Mantuano family? But there was a Mantovano family that raised Ercole? Is this correct and his step parents names are:
Could they just spelled the Mantuano named incorrectly when they came on the boat? I am confused that there are no Dozzina family in all if Italy or has ever been. That is what his records states when he arrived in the states..hmm
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi dianesato,
I said that in Rota Greca was not Mantuano surname, but Mantovano surname:
Also by Cosenza archive I found 2 households in Rota Greca:
but I NO SAY that one of this people was the stepfather of your Ercole.
because I cannot know abt that... also I know not if the Mantuano family came in USA, I no searched abt that....

Just my opinion, by my experience.. :
I believe that Ettore was a foundling and had Dozzino surname given from civil records officer...
as in use , the Major giving the foundling to a family, paying for to raise the child...

For that I adviced of to search in LDS microfilms, so you can read exactly if Ettore/Ercole had parents or not, and if yes who was the names....

only by this way you can find more infos abt your Ettore/Ercole...
this is a necessary step: to search in the microfilm....
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Hi Diane,

Suanj is correct.

However, I would put money on Dionisio being the "foster" parent.

Look at it this way:- Ercole (Hercules in English)
Ettore (Hector in English)

Dionisio (Dionysius in English)

All names of Greek Gods etc. Or is this too much of a coincidence?

Seraphina
dianesato

Post by dianesato »

I have been posting on here for a few years and done exactly what everyone has said to do to find my grandfather families information and to no avail I have not found out anymore then when I started this search. I have wrote for the LDS Microfilms from Celico, and Rota Greca, I also sent letters to the government 2 times and nothing. Each time waiting months and months. I will give a little re-cap of my grandfather's story:
His name was Ercole/Ettore Dozzino/ia, he was born on Dec 20, 1887 in Celico Rota Greca, Calabria, Italy. I have heard from the family that he was a orphan/ fondling. I also know that a family by the name of Mantuano/Mantovano took him in as a baby and raised him. Hw was in the Italian Military abt 1905/06. Then after he married my grandmother Dorothea Casimira in or around Dec 3 1908. They had one daughter on Sept 7 1909 named Maria Gisella "Jessie" Dozzina. He came to the states on May 9 1912 on the ship SS Madonna from Naples to NY joining brother-in-law Vincenzo Migliano in Kenosha WI - born in Celico (Cosenza Calabria
I have tried to find out who or what his real birth name was and his parents names were. I truly need some help! I have gone over and over all the info I have collected over the years and all the information that I have been given off of this site and others. I am lost! Please help!

Thank You in advance,
Diane Sato
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

Try this website, it is free to register.

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.fac ... B7C4.node1