Information on Great-Grandparents from Sulmona

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Hayley

Information on Great-Grandparents from Sulmona

Post by Hayley »

Hi everyone. I've been referred here by an Italian citizenship forum, and I am really hoping someone here can help me! I need some assistance in finding information on my great-grandparents. I believe they were both from Sulmona, but the ship's manifest only confirms that for my great-grandmother, not my great-grandfather.

This is the information I do have:

My great-grandfather's name was Tarquinio Olivieri. On the ship's manifest, his name was spelled Targuinio Oliviero, but I think that may have been a mistake. He was born in 1888 somewhere in Italy... His place of residence on the ship's manifest is "Sre Lucna" but I really have no idea what that means. He came to New York in 1907 and died here in 1943.

My great-grandmother was from Sulmona, born 1893. Her name is a source of confusion. Her name in this country was Antonina Olivieri, and she said her maiden name was Capotoli. However, it is believed she was adopted, and that the adoptive family changed her name. On the ship's manifest, she listed her name as Pasqua Santini. I don't know which would be her "real" name as I try to obtain records.

She came to New York in 1913, and that point she was already married. I'm unsure of when or where she was married, but I would love to find that out. It is believed that Tarquinio went back to Italy at some point to marry, so they had to have been married between 1907 and 1913.

If it's relevant, Antonina died in 1949 here in New York.

Any information you could provide me with would be fantastic! Thanks in advance. :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Information on Great-Grandparents from Sulmona

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Hayley wrote:My great-grandfather's name was Tarquinio Olivieri. On the ship's manifest, his name was spelled Targuinio Oliviero, but I think that may have been a mistake. He was born in 1888 somewhere in Italy... His place of residence on the ship's manifest is "Sre Lucna" but I really have no idea what that means. He came to New York in 1907 and died here in 1943.
I wonder which manifest you are looking at? I found the S.S. Republic, arriving New York April 18, 1907; it appears to me that it says Tarquino's Last Residence was Sulmona and for his place of birth (last column) - well, I am not entirely sure what it says but definitely not Sre. Lucna. What does this look like to you?

He appears to be travelling with two male relatives, Salvatore Ventresca and Pietro Derasmo; I say that becasue the three of then seem to be joining the same person - Tarquino's uncle and Salvatore/Pietro's brother-in-law (column 16).

Tarquino is on line 17 of this manifest. His companions are on lines 18 and 19.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... nifest.jpg

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Hayley

Post by Hayley »

Hi! Thanks very much for this!!

As for where I found "Sre Lucna," I was sent a passenger record (I think from the Ellis Island's search index online?) for Tarquinio by a relative. I believe this is where the mistakes are coming from, because that's the only place I'd ever seen the misspelling or this Sre Lucna residence.

I'm not quite sure what that says in that first image you posted; I believe it could actually be Sulmona?

I really appreciate your research!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Hayley wrote:I'm not quite sure what that says in that first image you posted; I believe it could actually be Sulmona?

I really appreciate your research!
I am not entirely certain. Here is Sulmona from the Last Residence column:

and here is the Place of Birth column:

Same place? Not sure, but I don't think so...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Here is another idea for you.

Since Tarquino died in 1943, he should have had a social security number. His application should show his place of birth, father's name, and mother's maiden name. You can request a copy of his application here: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps9/eFOIA-FEWe ... t/main.jsp

It would be nice if we could find either his WWI or WWII Draft Registration Card, but I am not coming across either one just yet. Where did he live in the US?
Carmine

Hayley

Post by Hayley »

Hmm you're right. They don't look similar!

I'm not sure about him being in World War I but I don't believe he was in World War II. Some of his sons (my grandfather included) were, but I don't think he was.

I'll request his Social Security application. Does it matter whether or not he was a citizen? From what I've been able to find, he was never naturalized.

He lived in Dutchess County, New York.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure that I can order his Social Security application. I only know his year of birth...
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

He should have registered for both the WWI and WWII drafts; it was purely a matter of age. I am surprised that I cannot find him - I wonder if he severely anglized his name, Tony Oliver or something like that...

WWII registration: "The Fourth Registration, often referred to as the "old man's registration", was conducted on 27 April 1942 and registered men who born on or between 28 April 1877 and 16 February 1897 - men who were between 45 and 64 years old - and who were not already in the military."

WWI registration: "This database contains an index and images of World War I draft registration cards completed by approximately 24 million men living in the U.S. in 1917 and 1918. Information that may be found for an individual includes: name, place of residence, date and place of birth, race, country of citizenship, occupation, and employer."
Carmine

Hayley

Post by Hayley »

I know he died Tarquinio Olivieri; it's on his gravestone, at least. I've never heard anything of him ever anglicizing his name.

Thank you for all your help!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The only Olivieri I can find when looking at US census reports for Dutchess County is a 40 year-old unmarried man living in a boarding house with several other people:

1930 United States Federal Census about Alexander Olivieri
Name: Alexander Olivieri
Home in 1930: Dover Plains, Dutchess, New York
Estimated birth year: abt 1890
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
Alexander Olivieri 40
George W Cash 29
Nina B Cash 25
Philip Missick 29
John Schamerto 38
Lewis Schamerto 30
John Delzotto 44
Joseph Abatangelo 30
James Peattie 32

The age would be about right although he is listed as arriving in the US in 1914; do you have any idea as to when your Tarquinio married?
Carmine

Hayley

Post by Hayley »

Hmmm, that's really strange! To my knowledge, that's not the right person--never heard of any of those people.

I'm not sure when he was married, just that his wife, Antonina, (who immigrated under the name Pasqua Santini) was coming to the country in 1913 to be with her husband. So I would imagine that they got married some time around then--1912, 1913, maybe. That's just a guess, though.

I can give you the names of his children if you think it would help?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Carmine

Hayley

Post by Hayley »

Haha, yes it is!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Kudos Carmine!!!!

Great Finds
:D

T.
Hayley

Post by Hayley »

I think I should mention that that is a family website created for the only living relative of the siblings. The pictures are very cool, but it doesn't provide anyone with much information, unfortunately!