Grave inscriptions - a link

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Grave inscriptions - a link

Post by carolinechurch »

A new website, collecting, indexing and providing free, photos of graves.
So far it is mainly UK based, but there are a lot of links to USA sites, and cemeteries worldwide. Maybe someone has some Italian links or photos they could share?

http://www.gravestonephotos.com/index.php
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Grave inscriptions - a link

Post by Tessa78 »

Great site!

Thanks for sharing :-D

T.
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

I spent a few happy hours yesterday photographing and indexing an initial batch of graves at my local cemetery - I now have 60 photos with 200 individual records from the 1880's to add to the site and am aiming to do this every couple of weeks.
I am also adding some old grave photos taken in the 1970's where I know for a fact that the inscriptions have now gone completely, so it's very fortunate they have been saved.
I'm just hoping to find someone has done 'my' family graves one day!
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
Cbontemps1

Post by Cbontemps1 »

Thanks for the link to the grave site.

Have you tried www.findagrave.com I have been recording there for years now, they have many many cemeteries all over Europe. Of course the most is here in the US.

Thanks for transcribing your local cemetery.

Cathy
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Thanks Cathy I will keep an eye on this site too. I don't have any USA people to search for, but I'm pleased to see they have more UK records than last time I looked.
Caroline.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Carolyn,

As I am going through the Napoli records I found one that may or may not be your family. The spelling of the name is slightly different. In this record it is spelled COCCIA. It is a record of marriage of a Catello Coccia whose father is Saverio Coccia and mother Emmanuele Maio. The marriage takes place in 1810.

If this is by chance your family let me know. I am posting a copy of the marriage record.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8644 ... iage18.jpg

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Thank you Lilbees, how interesting, and I wonder if it is a possibility.
Of the two brothers I have, the older is also Saverio.
Raffaele seemed to be fairly literate, always wrote his name beautifully, and definitely spelled it Ciaccia, but I wonder who taught him to write, and was he correct...
If there were any other records for Coccia in the same parish, ie: baptisms for Saverio around 1783 or Raffaele around 1792 that would be a deciding factor.
Thanks so much for taking an interest!
Caroline.