Musto, Rinaldo matrimoni

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

Musto, Rinaldo matrimoni

Post by oilman19 »

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/8318 ... rr1876.jpg

I am struggling with some parts of this Atti di Matrimonio. :( I need some guidance.

On 6 May 1876, Luigi Rinaldo 21 born in Melito di Napoli of ???? and Sabata Chiariello married Marta Musto 34?? born in SMCV of Lorenzo and Luigia Sbordone in SMCV.

Aside from not being able to read the given name of the groom's father, is it likely that a 21 year old man is marrying a 34 year old woman? Also, I have Luigia born abt 1826 from previous documents and having children between 1854-1859. This would mean she started having children in 1842 at age 16. While I know none of this is impossible, how likely is it.

Any help and/or opinions?
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Musto, Rinaldo matrimoni

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jim,

I'm not seeing "Napoli" after Melito.
I AM seeing "sudetto" after Melito (each time after the first Melito), and also after S. Maria (each time after the first S. Maria). "Sudetto" means "as stated"...

You have Maria's age correct at 34, and Luigi's age is correct at 21. As to whether that was common...not really...but not unheard of.

As to having children at 16...very likely. Girls could have been married at 13 with parental consent (usually with parents wanting a "good" match).

Groom's father's name looks like Stefano to me. :-?

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

From Rudolph Bell's book"

"Female villagers (at least those who are not substantially older than their husbands) give two reasons for marriage by a younger man to an older woman: (1) the nuptial arrangement gave primacy to matters of inheritance; (2) the older woman was pregnant."

It goes on to state:
"...landowners, and to a lesser degree shopkeepers, artisans, and town officials were far more likely to marry women older than themselves than were agricultural workers."

That being said...I wasn't able to read Luigi's occupation...have you?

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I picked up the "di Napoli" from my Google search. Do you think they are 2 different places?
I wanted to make it Stefano but couldn't get "St" out of those 1st 2 letters. The "S" doesn't seem to match any other capital "S" in the document. However, I haven't any other solution.

Thank you T.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I agree, the ST is a guess...the "efano" looks clearer..

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

That whole word is a mystery to me. :? I've tried every combination of letters and nothing comes close.
Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Try saving the image from the screen, view it in your computer's picture viewer...you can enlarge quite a bit without much distortion...
:-)

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I scan in 300 dpi to enable significant enlargement, but I can't make any sense of that word. It has to be a word I have never seen.
Jim

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Luigi's occupation looks like the word industriante to me. I usually don't see that occupation in that form, but it looks like those letters to me. I also see Stefano for the father's name. Have no idea either what else it could be.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I would agree Peg :-)

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Thank you very much. :)
Jim