Greetings

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
nickintexas
Rookie
Rookie

Greetings

Post by nickintexas »

My father was 1st gen in USA-->GF & GM had 2 children in Casalvecchio di Puglia before having him and another child after emigrating to Milford Massachusetts.

GF+GM+father (younger male) & his siblings in the early '30s

I've got rock solid data on GF (1888-1943) & GM (1889-1951) even though the 1st gen siblings were quite fragmented and very little history on this side of the family was transmitted to the 2nd gen. My father spent 20+ years in the military moving us to different bases every couple of years...and was of the belief that his children should learn English ONLY and that Americanizing us was in our best interest...... :roll:

I've been digging through the previous topics and have found many of the suggested linked sites to be quite helpful/informative. I'll keep trying to mine these resources but am comforted that if (WHEN :lol: ) I run into a brick wall--there are folks like y'all around!
My past is all behind me now.
Looking for Andreola, Fino, Simone, Rossacci & Capece primarily from Casalvecchio di Puglia.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Greetings

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello and welcome :-)

Great photo :-D

Let us know when we can be of help...

T.
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Greetings

Post by Squigy »

nickintexas wrote:My father was 1st gen in USA-->GF & GM had 2 children in Casalvecchio di Puglia before having him and another child after emigrating to Milford Massachusetts.

GF+GM+father (younger male) & his siblings in the early '30s

I've got rock solid data on GF (1888-1943) & GM (1889-1951) even though the 1st gen siblings were quite fragmented and very little history on this side of the family was transmitted to the 2nd gen. My father spent 20+ years in the military moving us to different bases every couple of years...and was of the belief that his children should learn English ONLY and that Americanizing us was in our best interest...... :roll:

I've been digging through the previous topics and have found many of the suggested linked sites to be quite helpful/informative. I'll keep trying to mine these resources but am comforted that if (WHEN :lol: ) I run into a brick wall--there are folks like y'all around!
Great picture.

Same thing with my family. My grandmother is a second generation Italian like yourself, and she never learned Italian. I'll bet signs during World War II like "Don't Speak the Enemy's Language" had a lot to do with that.

However, other than that they didn't try to Americanize to much. My great grandparents were very Italian, and spoke the language frequently to they're siblings and in laws, and passed down phrases which are still used in my family.