Foglio di Congedo di Ilimitato

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Foglio di Congedo di Ilimitato

Post by maestra36 »

I'm sorry, but I don't see that word as permanent, but I am still trying to figure out what it is.

As to changing periodo to perioda, I didn't write the Italian language or Italian dictionary. There is no such word, as far as I can tell. The word is masculine or neuter and not feminine and does not end in the letter a. Sorry, Carmine. I know that makes sense in the document, but I am not convinced that it is the correct transcription.

Peg
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Foglio di Congedo di Ilimitato

Post by pink67 »

"Arruolato quale inscritto di leva del compartimento marittima(?) di Reggio Calabria con la classes 1895 per la periodo di anni tre"
Per la ferma di anni tre

It's an usual term to indicate the period of military service...

Laura :D
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Foglio di Congedo di Ilimitato

Post by Tessa78 »

Thanks Laura :-)

Do you think the other word starts with an "f" as well?

Or maybe a form of "permanere?"

T.
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Foglio di Congedo di Ilimitato

Post by pink67 »

I believe the first phrase is:

Arruolato quale inscritto di leva del compartimento marittimo di Reggio Calabria con la classe 1895 per la ferma di anni tre quale aggiunto essendo stata pronunciata la dichiarazione di renitenza.

Laura
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Foglio di Congedo di Ilimitato

Post by pink67 »

Tessa78 wrote:Thanks Laura :-)

Do you think the other word starts with an "f" as well?

Or maybe a form of "permanere?"

T.
Prego Tessa! :D
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Foglio di Congedo di Ilimitato

Post by maestra36 »

Thanks, Laura.
Peg
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Foglio di Congedo di Ilimitato

Post by pink67 »

Prego Peg... :D

My best guess for the last period:

Rinviato in congedo illimitato.........................................li (the date)
Trasferito al R. [Regio] Esercito Distretto Militare di Reggio Calabria al numero 38205 di matricola R.E. [Regio Esercito] in virtu' del R.U.?? [maybe Regolamento ufficiale but I'm not sure] sulla leva marittima approvato con R.D. [Regio Decreto] 28 luglio 1932 n. 1365 art. 9
.............................................li (the date)

Laura
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Foglio di Congedo di Ilimitato

Post by johnnyonthespot »

maestra36 wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't see that word as permanent, but I am still trying to figure out what it is.

As to changing periodo to perioda, I didn't write the Italian language or Italian dictionary. There is no such word, as far as I can tell. The word is masculine or neuter and not feminine and does not end in the letter a. Sorry, Carmine. I know that makes sense in the document, but I am not convinced that it is the correct transcription.

Peg
Peg, I am sure you are correct.

FWIW, WordReference.com lists "perioda" as:

'perioda': 2nd Person singular present imperative of the verb 'periodare'

'perioda': 3rd Person singular present indicative of the verb 'periodare'

Of course, I suppose this wouldn't work because I am not looking for a verb...

Interestingly, Googling "la perioda" turns up a number of hits, including it seems, the Periodic Table of the Elements. Unfortunately, I don't think these hits are in Italian.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Foglio di Congedo di Ilimitato

Post by maestra36 »

Carmine
I was only looking at the word as a noun when I said it didn't exist as perioda. Also I can't find periodare in any of my Italian dictionaries-what exactly is it supposed to mean as a verb? I don't honestly believe it is an Italian verb. Anyway, I am happy that Laura came to our rescue concerning the document.

Peg
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Foglio di Congedo di Ilimitato

Post by maestra36 »

Okay, I found the conjugation in word reference online, but when you try to translate the verb into English, it comes up with no translation. Very odd.
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Foglio di Congedo di Ilimitato

Post by johnnyonthespot »

pink67 wrote:I believe the first phrase is:

Arruolato quale inscritto di leva del compartimento marittimo di Reggio Calabria con la classe 1895 per la ferma di anni tre quale aggiunto essendo stata pronunciata la dichiarazione di renitenza.

Laura
This makes the most sense so far. If I interpret correctly, the normal term of service (one year? two?) was extended to three years as punishment for havng evaded the draft by leaving the country at age 17.

Makes me wonder - did he return to Italy in 1915 of his own free will, or was he rounded up and dragged back, kicking and screaming?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Post Reply