Death translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
chickenwoman
Veteran
Veteran

Death translation

Post by chickenwoman »

Besides the translation could you tell me what is meant by Cappuccini?

http://yfrog.com/3tgiuseppesalvatorelopdeaj

Thank you,
Diane
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Death translation

Post by Tessa78 »

This records the death of twins Giuseppe and Salvatore, sons of Giovanni LoPiccolo and Rosa Anello. They were 6 days old.
Looks like they were "buried at the Capuchin Catacombes." (sepolto ai Cappucini)

T.
chickenwoman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by chickenwoman »

I noticed there are two dates. August 31, 1873 and August 3. The 31st date would make them older than 6 days. Did they die on the 3rd and were buried on the 31st?
Diane
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Well...
I was trying to figure out the date of birth on the baptism record because they were baptized the day they were born. It looks like the baptism was on 28 luglio (28 July)...
The morti states that they died and were buried on the 3 August. (That would be 6 days later)...
My guess is that it was entered into the church register on the 31 August 1873.

I'm sure others here will take a look and let us know what they see :-)

T.
chickenwoman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by chickenwoman »

Thank you. I didn't realize that it would take them so long to enter it on the records.
Diane
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi Diane ,
the Capuchin Catacombes are in Palermo? They are famous because the body of dead people was "mummyfied". A documentary was done by National Geographic about these mysterious art and the mummy.
try this link: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/s ... b-Photos/5

Try this link for wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capuchin_c ... of_Palermo

BEST REGARDS.

Vincenzo
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
chickenwoman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by chickenwoman »

Thank you Vincenzo. I will check out the website. Do you know if there are catacombes in Monreale as well?
Diane
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi Diane,
there isn't catacombs in Monreale but there are "crypt" in some churches.
let me know if you need other informations.

best regards.

Vincenzo
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

It is 8 km (4.9 miles) from Monreale to the catacombs in Palermo.

T.
chickenwoman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by chickenwoman »

Hi Vincenzo,

I have gotten online and looked at the pictures. We have been to a place like that in Mexico.

You live where I hope to someday visit. My GGrandparents and Grandparents left from Palermo to come to America. I'm sure we have family there.

Tessa thank you also for your information.

Thank heaven for angels like all of you who do this. :D
Diane
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi Diane,
have you found on ellis island records when your grandparents left Palermo? Do you know if them had ralatives ? If you think you are related with a family in Palermo maybe you can try to contact them before you visit my hometown. If you need help send me a message. What is the name of the place in Mexico you visited?

have a nice day

Vincenzo
chickenwoman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by chickenwoman »

Hi Vincenzo,
Sorry I didn't get back with you sooner, we were busy for the holiday.

Yes, I have found the records for my family that left from Palermo. Unfortunately, with one it listed my greatgrandfather that was already here. On the other one it had my grandfather's father listed and I don't think he ever came to America. I have never been able to find out when he died. I have looked at films up to 1910.

It's just been within the last 8 months or so that I have been ordering the films from the LDS church, so I am learning some new names. My grandparents have been gone for sometime and all of my aunts and uncles are gone also. I wish I would have asked more questions while they were alive.

The place in Mexico that we visited with mummies was, Guanajuato. Very interesting.

I see you are looking for relatives that came to America. My greatgrandparents and grandparents ended up in Chicago also. I was born in Chicago.

Good luck with your search. Do you have Ancestry? If there is something you would like me to look up I would be glad to do so.

Also, did they take a periodic census in Sicily. It sure would help if they did. Especially if they named all of the people in a household.

Thank you once again for your help. :D
Diane
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi Diane,
i see that you lived in Chicago and now you are in California like my relatives. Unfortunately sheet census in Italy are not public and anonymous. I try this way to have informations about my ggf but without success. currently i don't have Ancestry because i found some documents on it some years ago. Recently i found other documents witth Familysearch and footnote.

have a nice week end

Vincenzo.