Can't find a birth certificate for GGM

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Can't find a birth certificate for GGM

Post by sceaminmonkey »

So the commune got back to me to let me know they can't find the records. They found someone else born a year later with a different fathers name and I'm sure it's not her I don't know what to do. would chur h records or ship manifest help? I don't know if the churn will have them either. What can I tell the consulate ? I'm applying through my ggf in NYC and she is my ggm does it matter? Help please!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Can't find a birth certificate for GGM

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Most consulates, including NYC, do not even look at documents from the non-direct line.

I applied GF -> Father -> Myself. In mid-2008, the New York consulate showed no interest at all in my mother's birth certificate nor my GM's birth and death certificates.

If I were you, I would forget about your GGM for the moment and concentrate on more important documents. If/when you have the time, you can continue researching your GGM for posterity's sake, but I really doubt you will need it for your jure sanguinis application.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gianna75010 »

Carmine,

I'm glad to hear your information about the non-italian line because I have a similar question. I am applying in Newark through GGF-> GF -> Father -> Myself. On my grandfather's birth certificate his mother's name is listed as "Teresina" However, her original birth certificate and marriage certificate from Italy say "Teresa." My grandfather's marriage and death certificate say "Theresa" As I have to amend his marriage and death certificates for other reasons, I intend to change his mother's name to "Teresina" to match his birth certificate. I figured that would be easier and faster (my appointment is in November) than trying to amend his birth certificate to then amend his other documents. Do you think having the differences "Teresina" on my grandfather's records and "Teresa" on my GGM's records from Italy will pose a problem?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I don't think Teresina / Teresa would be a problem with anyone who understands Italian names. Teresina is, literally, "Little Teresa" and it would be perfectly reasonable for Little Teresa to use "Teresa" as an adult, especially if she had added more than the appropriate number of pounds (or inches) as she grew. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gianna75010 »

I definitely agree that Teresina and Teresa are clearly the same person. I'm just worried that the Consulate may require me to amend everything to match the birth certificate from Italy. I have heard them being sticklers for even the tiniest discrepancies so I'm just trying to prepare myself for anything they can bring up.

I'm just hoping that they don't ask for my GGM's birth certificate or my GGF's marriage certificate from Italy. Then they will not notice that they say "Teresa" instead of "Teresina."

It's actually funny that she used "Teresina" when she was older - maybe she was just trying to stay young. :-)
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

Hi sceaminmonkey

I just had my appointment at the NYC Consulate this past Friday the 10th. I was only asked for my GGM birth certificate when a discrepency came up. I didn't have one, and it did not cause any problems.

I was not asked for any of the spouse birth certificates. However, it would be good to have them just in case.

Best,
Marie
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

well the commune provided a letter to explain their efforts. I am asking the service I ordered them through to request the letter from the commune to present to the consulate in a more official form. I am worried about my GGF though as he was from naples and it was apparently the most bombed city in italy in WWII. pray for me! and thanks for sharing your experience I feel way less anxious. Marie keep us updated on your application status I read your thread and it is similar to my situation.

Thanks,
Dave
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

The Newark consulate will be unlikely to make an issue of a diminutive of an Italian name. I found them to be quite reasonable. Let us know how your appointment goes. Best of luck.