Could Census Natulalization Record Be Wrong?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Could Census Natulalization Record Be Wrong?

Post by ande »

Hi Again,
I might be able to save myself a lot of trouble if my father's father was not naturalized as I originally thought. I've been on the forum several times regarding the discrepencies in my mother's maiden name. On my father's side this wouldn't be a problem. You see, I've been basing all this from a notation on the 1930 census showing he was naturalized before my father's birth but now I hear that this could be wrong. A shortcut would be to get his naturalization record if it exixts. My grandfather Cataldo Puleo arrived in 1896 (listed as Castaldo Puleo)at Ellis Island. On the 1930 census from Newark, NJ( the only place he ever lived) he's listed as Gaetano Puleo and there is a notation NA 1904.
How could I confirm this is correct or not? Is there a way to get the Naturalization records? Where?
Thanks, Ande
mler
Master
Master

Re: Could Census Natulalization Record Be Wrong?

Post by mler »

The records for NJ should be filed with NARA if he naturalized in a federal court. You may want to try them first.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

NARA site for genealogical records...

http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/naturalization/

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I am sorry to say that there are all sorts of problems here...

1) Naturalizations which took place prior to September, 1906, are not copied to the United States Citizenship & Immigration Service - the USCIS. So, you cannot rely on this ultimate source for copies of the records.

2) Some consulates - New York and San Francisco that we know of, plus most (?) non-US consulates - enforce the "1912 rule" which these consulates interpret as meaning that an Italian citizen who took on another nationality prior to July 1, 1912 did so for all of his minor children regardless of where or when born. The San Francisco consulate puts it quite succinctly:
ANCESTORS NATURALIZED BEFORE JUNE 14, 1912 CANNOT TRANSMIT CITIZENSHIP (EVEN TO CHILDREN BORN BEFORE THEIR NATURALIZATION)
(the law was passed June 14, 1912 with an effective date of July 1, 1912. The San Francisco consulate seems confused on this point)

3) In the absence of proof of naturalization, most consulates require certified copies of censuses. Once they see that "NA 1904", they are going to want the naturalization documents to back it up.

4) If your ancestor did naturalize in 1904, the only place you will likely find the records is at the state or county archives. I suggest you check here: http://www.njarchives.org/links/guides/cescp005.html
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ande »

Thanks Carmine. I think the question is that it's possible that he didn't naturalize prior to my father's birth in 1915. If I can find the record then I'll know if I can go through my father's side or not.
Ande
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

my GGF naturalization and petition to naturalize are riddled with errors. yet these are sealed together showing they are the same person. so yes they can be wrong. Remember a lot of our GGF and GGM were illiterate.
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ande »

Yes, all my grandparents were illiterate and spoke only a little English. It's the date of naturalization that I'm trying to confirm though.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

I just went down to the Supreme Court Record Room in Brooklyn (Kings County) to look for some of my other grandparents. I did not know if they naturalized, when they naturalized or if in Brooklyn or Manhattan. (I had found nothing in all the databases I searched online.) They were happy to do a search for me, but first they themselves checked the online databases! I let them do it since I thought they might catch something that I hadn't. The guy said that the only naturalization documents they have that are not online are ones created before 1907. I imagine it's similar elsewhere. They were able to search by name.