No church in comune?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

No church in comune?

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I cant seem to find a church in Stella Cilento in Salerno? Either Im looking in the wrong places or there really isnt one. If thats so, where would people have been married in baptized near there?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: No church in comune?

Post by Tessa78 »

When searching the Italian phone book for a church in Stella Cilento, it returns the Parish of S. Antonio in Omignano, an adjacent town.

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... lento&ind=

Yet, on the official site for the comune, if you click on Sightseeing (Gite Turistiche) you will find many churches listed... probably in the surrounding comuni, since Stella Cilento has only 354 families.

T.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

This is what i dont understand...354 families? How busy can they be yet they repeatedly ignore my requests for records and Ive been trying for a year. I thought I would go through the churches
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

La chiesa di San Nicola is located in Stella Cilento. There are also two chapels located there: Cappella S. Antonio and Cappella S. Rocco. Go to http://web.tiscali.it/stellacilento/Storia/storia.html to view photos and info.
John Armellino
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

There are two Parishes in Stella Cilento
1 Ss. Pietro e Giovanni

2 S. Nicola di Bari

see http://www.parrocchie.it/gear/qlist.htm ... d_cognome=
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Have you tried emailing the URP of Stella Cilento and asking what civil records they have? LDS don't appear to have any and the town was known by the name of Porcili before 1870.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Italysearcher wrote:Have you tried emailing the URP of Stella Cilento and asking what civil records they have? LDS don't appear to have any and the town was known by the name of Porcili before 1870.
Really? Thats very interesting that it had a different name! Im looking for records from around 1875. Ive emailed and wrote letters with no luck. Its such a small town though. Im wondering if they hold their own records or another town keeps their archives.

As far as the churches listed above, I was hoping to contact them for records.Is there any way to find out how old these churches are so I know if they were around when my family was there?
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

JohnArmellino wrote:La chiesa di San Nicola is located in Stella Cilento. There are also two chapels located there: Cappella S. Antonio and Cappella S. Rocco. Go to http://web.tiscali.it/stellacilento/Storia/storia.html to view photos and info.
Thats a nice link. My family is supposedly from Amalafede. They said only 30 people live there today and they are all old. There is an old pic too.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Is there any way to find out how old these churches are so I know if they were around when my family was there?
There is a painting in the Museo Diocesano di Vallo della Lucania by Andrea Sabatini of Porcilli, which is dated to 1520. This painting was originally located in la chiesa di San Nicola. So it would seem that the church dates back at least that far. In addition, Porcili apparently dates back to the 10th or 11th century; chances are that la chiesa di San Nicola (who is the patron saint of the comune) is very old.
John Armellino
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Thank you John , thats wonderful information. So now Im wondering, why did it change its name from Porcili to Stella Cilento? Is it common for comuni to change names over time?
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

So now Im wondering, why did it change its name from Porcili to Stella Cilento? Is it common for comuni to change names over time?
Many comuni changed their names at the time of unification. It seems that many comuni were using the same name throughout the newly unified peninsular. Thus, names were changed (Porcili to Stella Cilento, perhaps) or altered (Martina to Martina Franca) to prevent confusion.

Of course, there were other reasons such as when towns were merged. In the case of Ripalimosani, the original comune of Ripa changed its name to Ripalimosani to honor the inhabitants of the comune of Limosano, who had sheltered them when Ripa was attacked by the Romans. A nice story.

So why did Porcili change its name? Well, there are three frazioni that have the same or similar name as Porcili: Porcele in the comune of Ruoti, Porcele in the comune of Valbrevenna, and Porcili in the comune of Cetraro. Then again, perhaps they just wanted to change its name from "pigsties".
John Armellino
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

LOL! That name is based on piggies!!??
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Era chiamata fino alla fine del XIX secolo "Porcili", per l'elevata presenza di allevamenti di suini; siccome tale nome dava un'immagine poco gradevole del luogo, l'amministrazione lo modificò in Stella Cilento, con riferimento al vicino monte: il Monte Stella. La specifica Cilento identifica la zona.

Yes, it was called Porcili [literal translation: pigsties] because of the presence of many pig farms, but was later changed because of the negative impression that the name made. The name Stella Cilento was chosen because of the proximity to Mount Stella and its location in the Cilento zone or area. It appears to be a very beautiful area.
John Armellino
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

You are very informative John. This is great stuff your teaching me! So, is it safe to assume then at some point, in that part of my family, there were pig farmers? And my family was in the frazioni amalafede supposedly. Does that word mean anything?
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

The frazione of Amalafede was originally called Bonafede. I don't know the meaning of each name, but...

ama means loves
la fede means faith
bona means good

bona/fede = good faith?
ama/la/fede = love the faith?

Just guessing...I have no idea.
John Armellino