D'URSO, DI GESI

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Genquilts
Rookie
Rookie

D'URSO, DI GESI

Post by Genquilts »

:arrow: TITLE OF THIS DISCUSSION HAS BEEN CHANGED

I am just beginning the search for my husband's ancestry in Italy. His mother who is in her 80s pronounces the name of the town (or region) that HER mother came from as "Bada" and says that the family is "Badrase" This is purely phonetic spelling (as I hear it). She never saw it written. Her mothers name was Nuncia D'urso, and she imigrated to the US through Ellis Island to join her brother Nicolo in NY probably

What I want to know is, is "Bada" most likely Bari? Or is there another location I should look at. When I entered D'urso into the surname locator there were D'ursos EVERYWHERE!

Thank you.
Carol P
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Looking for a starting point

Post by VaDeb »

HI,

You mention she came through Ellis Island. Have you been to that web site and found her arrival on the passenger manifests? If you find it, it will list a town that the family was from.

http://www.ellisisland.org/

or

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html

Debbie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Genquilts wrote:I am just beginning the search for my husband's ancestry in Italy. His mother who is in her 80s pronounces the name of the town (or region) that HER mother came from as "Bada" and says that the family is "Badrase" This is purely phonetic spelling (as I hear it). She never saw it written. Her mothers name was Nuncia D'urso, and she imigrated to the US through Ellis Island to join her brother Nicolo in NY probably

What I want to know is, is "Bada" most likely Bari? Or is there another location I should look at. When I entered D'urso into the surname locator there were D'ursos EVERYWHERE!

Thank you.
Carol P
Hi are an NUNZIA(mistaken Nengia; also Nuncia is mistaken) D'Urso age 16 in 1909 from Toritto town-Bari province
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0396%2ETIF
same year (1909) Nicola D'Urso in travel with Vincenzo D'Urso, coming from Toritto town-Bari province;
are this your ancestors?
Toritto is in Bari province, and the people of Bari are called" Barese/i";
suanj
Genquilts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Genquilts »

I had looked at the Ellis Island records before, but was intimidated by the volume and by not having any sure idea of where Nunzia and Nicola might have been coming from! You have helped a lot...and so fast!

I went to the link for Ellis Island, and the name there doesn't look like Nengia or D'urso, although I did the search again myself and came up with the same passenger number. Maybe there is a glitch in their transcription... I'll work on it.

However, when I talked to my mother-in-law tonight we did some arithmetic and think that her year of birth is more likely 1889. She died in 1936, and Mom says she was 47 years old when she died. That makes Nengia a little young...although still not out of the question!

The Nicola who arrived in 1909 could be her brother, but there is more differnece in age than she thinks there should be. I am going to look for a marriage license that is at Mom's somewhere. I know it only had "Italy" as her birth place, but there may be some other information.

Thank you for your help so far! At least now I know I am looking at Bari, either the provence or the town.
Carol
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

If she immigrated as a D'Urso, then what was her surname when she married... ?

If a census could be found, it would give us some hint as to when she immigrated...
Genquilts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Genquilts »

What an exciting day! I had dinner with my MIL (Mother In Law) tonight and told her what I had found out from this site. After dinner she went to the closet and pulled out a box she said had some "stuff" in it! It did indeed!

There were the marriage certificates, both civil and church for her parents: Nunzia D'urso, daughter of Maria Di Gieso, and Saverio D'urso of Toritto, Bari!
and Vincenzo Pipio (which has become Pepio today) Son of Giovani Pepio and Grazia (?) of New York, New York.

The civil certificate named her Nuncia Turzo!. Her parents were married in a civil ceramony in 1911. They were married in church in June, 1912. Mom's eldest brother was born in December, I think that same year, and Mom says her mother was only 18 yrs old... so that looks good for our Nengia D'urso from the Ellis Island records!

Thank you again for all your help... I definately have found my starting point!
Carol
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Genquilts wrote:What an exciting day! I had dinner with my MIL (Mother In Law) tonight and told her what I had found out from this site. After dinner she went to the closet and pulled out a box she said had some "stuff" in it! It did indeed!

There were the marriage certificates, both civil and church for her parents: Nunzia D'urso, daughter of Maria Di Gieso, and Saverio D'urso of Toritto, Bari!
and Vincenzo Pipio (which has become Pepio today) Son of Giovani Pepio and Grazia (?) of New York, New York.

The civil certificate named her Nuncia Turzo!. Her parents were married in a civil ceramony in 1911. They were married in church in June, 1912. Mom's eldest brother was born in December, I think that same year, and Mom says her mother was only 18 yrs old... so that looks good for our Nengia D'urso from the Ellis Island records!

Thank you again for all your help... I definately have found my starting point!
Carol
Hi Carol, I'm happy for you, sure Nengia(Nunzia ) D'Urso on ellis island is your ancestors, also Toritto town is just!
Many regards,
suanj
Genquilts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Genquilts »

My search has become more complicated!

A Nunzia D'urso (16 yr old) traveling with a Nicolo D'urso (12 yr old) has been found leaving mother Maria Di Gesi in Toritto, Italy to meet father Savier D'urso in New York in April, 1909. This sounds much more like the Nunzia I have been looking for, but I was under the impression (as was my husband, and many of the family) that Her brother Nicolo came first. I asked about it at dinner last night, and my mother-in-law agrees that Nick (Nicolo) might have been younger than Nunzia and that they MIGHT have come together.

I am now looking for Maria Di Geso who is probably meeting her husband Savier, and might be traveling with a daughter Francesca D'urso. I have started looking for the census records in New York, and know that I now need to find death records for Savier D'urso, Maria DiGeso (I think) and Francesca D'urso.

It has been quite an adventure!!! Thank you for all your help!
Carol
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Jen wrote:
I am now looking for Maria Di Geso who is probably meeting her husband Savier, and might be traveling with a daughter Francesca D'urso.
I wrote from another post somewhere....
Here's a manifest of interest though...a Maria DiGesi and Saverio D'Urso couple... though not M. Michaela as you mention... I can see that this surname does create a research challenge...

First Name: Maria Francesca (mother in Italy is Maria Nicola Palumbo?) will check this name further...

Last Name: DiGesi
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Toritto, Italy
Date of Arrival: April 28, 1915
Age at Arrival:  48y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  M  
Ship of Travel: San Guglielmo
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0024

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0864%2ETIF

and page 2

Going to New York to be with her husband Saverio D'Urso.

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0353120212

mfjp
According to this manifest, this would have been Maria Francesca's first trip to the USA... and not traveling with her daughter. Are you now looking for a second manifest?

:?: mfjp

p.s. Were you ever able to review the manifest of Nunzia linked by suanj? above? If not, I will try to relink...
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hope this helps... was it just my browser?? but I kept getting someone else instead of Nunzia... obviously the links weren't working... created this link for you to review....

http://img63.exs.cx/img63/408/durso4lb.jpg

This manifest shows that Nicola and Nunzia were aliens held for special inquiry... so there must be another manifest within these records somewhere which I will also look for.

The cause of detention is LPC.... which is something I will also look up...

This family does get more and more interesting...

but please stick to this "thread"... I have been jumping from post to post...

:P mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

This manifest shows that Nicola and Nunzia were aliens held for special inquiry... so there must be another manifest within these records somewhere which I will also look for. The cause of detention is LPC.... which is something I will also look up...
info and quoted from...
http://www.jewishgen.org/InfoFiles/Manifests/bsi/

"The most common exclusion was "LPC" or "Likely Public Charge," taken from the section of law which excludes anyone who might become a burden on the public. Many LPC cases were coupled with Medical Certificates, because it was a medical condition or physical disability which caused officials to think the immigrant would not be able to earn their own living. U.S. Public Health Service officials issued the Medical Certificates during medical inspection. The doctors saw the immigrant first, so if a certificate was issued it would be known to the Immigrant Inspector who saw the arriving passenger next. Sometimes, the fact that an immigrant was held on the basis of a Medical Certificate would also be annotated on the passenger list."

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Jen, just for the record....these are the manifests you are speaking of.... lines 20 and 21...

Nunzia is 16, Nicolo is 12... mother Maria is in Italy, father Saverio in USA....

page 1

http://img219.exs.cx/img219/7642/nicolodurs8pt.jpg

page 2

http://img219.exs.cx/img219/1448/nic2dur8ht.jpg

mfjp
Genquilts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Genquilts »

This family does get more and more interesting...

but please stick to this "thread"... I have been jumping from post to post...

:P mfjp[/quote]

Thank you so much for all the information you and sunj have found! I'm sorry I didn't see this post before I put another note on the Italian Geneology Fourm... or I would have put everything here!

One part of the story I have not been able to put together is what my mother-in-law said about Nunzia's younger sister Francesca. I see that the Maria DiGesi who I THINK is Nunzia's mother, has the middle name of Francesca. My mother-in-law was given Frances as her middle name in honor of this aunt.

According to the family story, Francesca died at a young age. There was some sort of scandel surrounding her death. Mom isn't sure if it was that she died in childbirth outside of marriage, or if she committed suicide. But the family never spoke of her.

I have not been able to find her on the manifests either.

Can you explain to me why there are both typed copies of the manifest, and hand written ones? I think, from your discussion above, that the typed ones are because there was a 'hold' placed on the persons listed. Is there ever any documentation as to why they were eventually allowed to enter?

I am going to copy my post that was put on the Italian Geneology Forum, and post in this forum from now on!
Thanks again. You have been so helpful!
Genquilts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Genquilts »

This post has been copied from it's original site on the Italian Geneology Forum in order to keep everything together. Thanks again for all the help!

Essgee wrote:
How about telling us where Saverio was in the US? Did he remain here or go back to his wife in Italy? What were the names of the children who arrived in 1909?

If we can find him in the census, we might be able to tell when he arrived. Did he go by a different name then Saverio? There are no Saverio's or Xaviers that I can find with that last name.

Let us know.........

From the history I got from my mother-in-law, the family settled in New York, New York near Mott Street. The daughter, Nunzia (Nengia) who I believe arrived in April of 1909 with her younger brother Nicola, was married in a civil ceremony Feb 2, 1911. . A copy of her marriage certificate gave her address as 129 Mott Street, NY City. I also have a copy of the church certificate from "Parrocchia Italiana di S. Gioacchino" on Roosevelt Street NY, May 9, 1912. Parents were Saverio D'Urso and Maria DiGieso of Toritto prov. di Bari

Thank you so much for all your help!
Genquilts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Genquilts »

I am planning a trip to the Family History Library to see if I can find the information on Nicolo and Nunzia Durso. I think I am looking for the right Microfilm, but since this is the first time I have tried this, I would appreciate a little guidance!

I looked at the catalog on line, and found the Registri dello stato civile di Bari 1866 - 1929. (the estimated birth year for Nunzia is circa 1893.) Toritto is listed as a locality which may have their own civil registry.
So I think I am looking for (Film) Nati 1870 - 1893 - FHL INTL Film [1659730] and Nati 1894-1900 - FHL INTL Film [1659731]

I have printed up a word list to help me interpret what I find there.

Do I need to reserve these microfilms to have them sent to my local FHL, or do they have them there already? And I know I read in a forum somewhere that most of the Libraries have memberships to ancester.com, I am going to look at the 1910 census for NY to see if I can find Savero with Nunzia and Nicolo. There is an address on the Ellis Island manifest that looks like 312 E (44?) St, and the address I have from Nunzio's marriage to Vincenzo Pipio on Feb 2, 1911 says she was "of 129 Mott Street" NY, NY so I'm thinking they should be found in that area.

My time off next week is Thursday morning, so I have a little more time to plan this first trip. Any hints will be greatly appreciated. Everyone here has been SO helpful! :D