nati of groom

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

nati of groom

Post by oilman19 »

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9092 ... rr1900.jpg

Can anyone read where Gennaro was born? :?

Thank you
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: nati of groom

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
I can see that he was born in a section of Naples. They give the name which starts with S. (for Saint) but I can't make out what follows that. Where it says he was a "resident in," its says sezione (chiesa, I think), so I'm guessing the previous part is the name of a church. Need to investigate further to determine the name of the church.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

My best guess is San Ferdinando. Possibly someone has a better idea.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

actually I just found in a google search that there is a sezione san ferdinando
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Peg

I did notice Naples and then I got stuck.

Just a note: This record came from the Ancestry file. It appears that these records do not have a high mega pixel count because you can't expand them very much without distorting them. I find I am using my magnifying glass more frequently.

Thank you for helping.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
I saved it in my photo program by right clicking with my mouse on the image and then I was able to use the zoom option in that program to magnify the record.
Peg
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

It didn't distort on you?
Jim

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
No, it didn't distort. You know when Carmine posted an image from ancestry's San Gregorio Matese records the other day for me, the first time I tried to save it, it distorted. Then I tried again and it didn't. It also enlarged the second time just by clicking on it on the screen, which it didn't do the first time I tried. I honestly can't explain the reason, but I now have a very clear image and no distortion when zooming in.
Peg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

At this site...

http://www.filcoo.com/en/italy/tg/chies ... _guide.htm

"San Ferdinando is the neighborhood of Naples, southern Italy that includes, among other landmarks, the Royal Palace, the large adjacent square named Piazza del Plebiscito, the San Carlo opera house and the church of San Ferdinando, for which the area and adjacent small square are named. (Technically, the square is now called Piazza Trieste e Trento but is commonly referred to by the older name.)

The church was originally a Jesuit house of worship and was opened in 1665. It was originally dedicated to St. Francis Xavier (“San Francesco Saverioâ€
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

good link, T

Peg
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi T.

Great info. I think I am getting it now. :)

Thank you
Jim

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

maestra36 wrote:Jim
I can see that he was born in a section of Naples. They give the name which starts with S. (for Saint) but I can't make out what follows that. Where it says he was a "resident in," its says sezione (chiesa, I think), so I'm guessing the previous part is the name of a church.
Peg
It says (as already pointed out) born in Napoli, sezione San Ferdinando and residing there ("ivi"), sezione Chiaia.

San Ferdinando and Chiaia are two districts of Napoli,

http://www.danpiz.net/napoli/mappe/Quartieri2.htm
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

That link is quite helpful. I can better understand what I was trying to read.

Thank you
Jim