Cuoco

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bizzyb

Cuoco

Post by bizzyb »

Would anyone have heard of the Cuoco family from Marigliano, Italy? One member, Saverio, settled in the Bergen/Hudson counties of New Jersey.
bizzyb
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Cuoco

Post by adelfio »

Welcome Bizz how about a little info on your family,birth years names of parent grandparents and there are plently of people here to help you.
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
bizzyb

Post by bizzyb »

My grandfather, Saverio Cuoco, who changed his name to Samuel Cook came over in 1904/05. He settled in the northern NJ areas of Fort Lee, Edgewater, Fairview and West New York, NJ.
All listings for him said he came from Naples but recently I found new information in which he listed his hometown as Margliano, Caserta, Italy. When I checked, I found out that the town is really Marigliano. That was typical Grandpa because he was always dropping vowels because he spoke "broken english."
I know that he was born in 1881, had siblings (not sure how many or where they lived) and his family had a vineyard large enough that the grapes/wine were taken into Naples for sale, etc. His marriage certificate lists his parents as Frank and Mary Fredricka. He was very good with his hands and worked most of his life on the ferry boats on the Hudson River.
I've also been told that he had cousins further out in NJ possibly in the Morristown, Montclair area. I'm not sure if they've anglicized their names though.
Thanks, in advance, for any help offered.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

neither ellisisland nor castle garden indices have any record for SAVERIO CUOCO so where did you get this information about his name and arrival at NYC???? =Peter=
~Peter~
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Here is one Saverio Cuoco I found on Ellis Island, but he was going to Brooklyn. We need to have an estimated year of birth in order to track down a passenger list for him. This individual was not from the town you mentioned.

First Name: Saverio
Last Name: Cuoco
Ethnicity: Italy, South
Last Place of Residence: Avellino, Gesualdo
Date of Arrival: Oct 06, 1906
Age at Arrival: 46y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Italia
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0021
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I dismissed him outright Maestra because he did not meet the criteria..I suspect the inquirers infomation is limited or in error.

Happy New year in anyh event!!!! =Peter=
~Peter~
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Happy New Year, Peter-
I even tried searching just doing a sound search of his first name and a sound search of the town name on the stevemorse.org website. No one in the town of Marigliano comes up with that surname or any variation of it. Even in the current Italian white pages, there is no one in that town with that surname, but the surname does exist within a 15.45 km range even as del Cuoco.

Yes, the passenger list info I posted does not meet the criterion of the ancestor's age. Even the following does not meet that criterion

Cuoccio, Saverio Bitonto, Bari age 38 b 1871 arrival 1909

Anyway, hopefully additional information from the poster will help us track down this individual

It also might help with we had some other first names with which to work. Were his parents in the U.S., for example, or any known siblings?

Peg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Let's start with a 1930 Census... Is this your Sam Cook?
Widower with 3 daughters, he was a machinist for the railroad...
Lists year of immig. as 1900, and is listed as Naturalized...

1930 United States Federal Census
about Samuel Cook
Name: Samuel Cook
Home in 1930: West New York, Hudson, New Jersey
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1881
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Race: White
Household Members:
Name Age
Samuel Cook 49
Bella Cook 19
Adalaide Cook 18
Edith Cook 13

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/4459/cook1930.jpg

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Good find, T.

If this is the correct family, I see them on the 1920 census living at 50 Walker Street in Fairview Borough, Bergen County, NJ. His place of birth is given as Naples, Italy on this census. Wife's name given as Isabella, age 34, son Francis, age 11, daughter Isabella, age 9, daughter Adelaide, age 7, daughter Edith, 3 /12, it looks like

year of immigration for him on this census is 1905

I also see this family on the 1910 census with just him, wife, and son Francis-in Ft Lee Boro, Bergen County NJ. I believe they are on Water Street

his year of immigration on the 1910 census is difficult to read
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Saverio Frank Cuoco
Name: Saverio Frank Cuoco
Birth Date: 1 Nov 1881
Birth Place: Margliano Coserta, Italy
Residence: Hudson, New Jersey
Race: White

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/9954/cuocowwii.jpg

T.
bizzyb

Post by bizzyb »

First of all, thank you all very much for your input, you really are fast.! I'll answer all of you at the same time.
No, Saverio Cuoco is not listed at Ellis Island. Not only have I checked the website many times, I have visited there and never found anything. And yes, you did find the correct Samuel Cook census info .... all three listings plus the WWII draft registration card which is the latest information I found and which I am banking on.
In February 1942, after Pearl Harbor was attacked, everyone of a certain age that hadn't become a citizen, or started the process, had to register with the U.S. Govt. as an illegal alien. This applied to everyone from the Axis Powers of Germany, Japan and Italy. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Am ... internment
My grandfather didn't have to go to an internment camp but he did have to register. He was 61 at the time and died 3 years after the end of WWII.
While the dates on all the other forms of information I've found have varied, I know his birthdate on this one is true --- Nov. 1, 1881. This is also where I learned about Marigliano. Previously, he had always said Naples but here, he was very exact. People have a tendency to tell the truth when the Govt. is looking over your shoulder .... especially back then and especially during war time.
According to my mother, his job was to take the grapes/wine into Naples and one time he just kept going. I don't think he stowed away, I think he worked his way over and when they got to NY, he just jumped ship.
While at Ellis Island, I saw a movie about the immigrants and it said that the ships docked at the piers in NYC to let off the first-class passengers and then the others were loaded onto another ship and taken across the harbor to Ellis Island. So my grandfather had a perfect opportunity to jump ship and meet up with some cousins who were already over here. They must have known the ship he was coming over on because back then there were no handy telephones and the distance between NYC and Morristown or Montclair was not a short one to be undertaken by a person never here before.
I know there are other Cuocos in Italy, even contacted one of them in Sicily but he was not related (that we could tell) to my branch. I know that WWII did a number on Italy on both vital records and people so I'm not surprised that, if any still exist, the family members are scattered.
I was going to try to get his birth certificate to see if I could gather any further information from that as to the confirmation of his parents' names. I am pretty sure the "Frank" listed as his father stands for Francis or Francisco because my grandfather's middle name is Francis and he in turn named his son, Francis, as you can see from the 1910 and 1920 census reports.
I just thought I'd ask on this website about the family name and whether anyone had ever heard of Marigiliano, Italy. I know it's there because I googled it but, not having heard of it before, don't know how long it has been around.
Thanks again, everyone.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello bizzyb! :-)

Thanks for the update!

As for requesting Saverio's birth record, you can write directly to the comune (town) of Marigliano...

Address:
Uffico dello Stato Civile
Corso Umberto
80034 Marigliano (NA)
ITALY

You should write your request in Italian...
Help with form letters...
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords

T.