dual citizenship question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Lodato3

dual citizenship question

Post by Lodato3 »

so iv been seeing a lot of ppl asking about this so I thought I would ask.
I joined up here to find ways to keep tracing relatives farther back but now im also interested in this dual citizenship....how can i find out if im able to get this?

so heres my info....for my paternal side...

great great grandfather born 1871-Italy - immigration 1906 - Naturalized 1916 (but the 1920 census says PA but still says 1916 as naturalized)(still searching for his 1910 and 1930 census)

great great grandma born 1871-Italy - immigration 1911 - Alien(in 1920) -didnt find 1930 yet

great grandpa - born 1906 in Italy / Immigration 1911 - Alien in 1920 census and unfortunately in 1930 he was in prison - so it doesnt say if he naturalized or not on that record

my grandpa was born 1936 in USA

my father born 1961 in USA

me born 1984 in USA
mler
Master
Master

Re: dual citizenship question

Post by mler »

If your greatgreat grandfather did indeed naturalize in 1916, that would mean that his son (your great grandfather), who was a minor at that time, also naturalized. This meant that the Italian line ended in 1916.

It seems, though, that you are not sure if your gggf did indeed naturalize in 1916, and this is something you should check. In order for you to qualify, you must be able to prove that your greatgrandfather did not naturalize on his own or naturalize as a minor through his father before the birth of your grandfather in 1936.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: dual citizenship question

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I just thought I would add a couple of points here:

1) your great-great-grandmother's status is not an issue in this case. a) even if she had Italian citizenship, she could not pass it to any children born prior to January 1, 1948. b) once automatic US citizenship for spouses ended (1924'ish), a very large percentage of Italian women did not naturalize in the US even though their husbands did; the men did it for better job opportunities and also to get on the right side in the lead-up to WWII.

2) Your great-grandfather may have been a US citizen through derivitive naturalization (that is, because he was a minor when his father naturalized), and not even known it. For this reason, you bear the double responsibility of proving to the consulate that not only did your great-grandfather not naturalize in his own right as an adult (prior to grandfather's birth), but also that your great-great-grandfather did not naturalize before great-grandfather's 21st birthday.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)