Dondero from Genoa

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mariemaye
Rookie
Rookie

Dondero from Genoa

Post by mariemaye »

How can I find out more about my Dondero ancestors in the Genoa region? Ancestry.com seems to focus on when the ancestors come to America. I want to know about the Dondero's BEFORE they came to the US.

Thanks,
Marie
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Dondero from Genoa

Post by Tessa78 »

Can you provide any details about these "Dondero ancestors?"
First names, DOB, immigration details?

T.
mariemaye
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariemaye »

Sure Tessa. This is what I know:

My great-great-great grandmother was Arcangela Dondero. DOB: Sept. 19, 1855. Suanj tells me that she's pretty sure Arcangela is from Genoa, Genova, Liguria, Italy. We found the ship's manifest from 1867. The ship, "Panchito" left Genoa, Italy and arrived in NYC on April 12, 1867. Listed on the manifest are:
John Dadero (sp) age 38, DOB about 1829
Mary Dadero (sp) age 35, DOB about 1832
Arcangela, daughter, age 12, DOB about 1855
Rose (?), daughter, age 10, DOB about 1857
Louise (?), daughter, age 9. DOB about 1858
Joseph, son, age 7, DOB about 1860
Ermenegildo (?), age 3, DOB about 1864
Domenica, (?), 6 moths, DOB about 1866.

On this same manifest we also find my great-great-great grandfather:
France (should be Francesco) Radarano (should be Badaracco), age 23, DOB about 1844.

We also found the marriage license for Arcangela and Francesco. New Jersey Marriages 1678-1985:
Hoboken, 3rd Ward, Hudson, New Jersey
Groom: Francis (sp) Badarana (sp), DOB 1844, age 25
Bride: Arcangela Daudaro (sp), DOB July 1, 1851, age 18
Marriage date: October 6, 1869
Both Groom and Bride's fathers names are listed as John.

I can then track Francesco (who became Frank) and Arcangela (who became Angela) in US censuses.

Inconsistencies:

According to my uncle who went to the cemetery and read the gravestone:

Arcangela M. Donoaro DOB: Sept. 19, 1855 Died: August 13, 1912 (in New Brunswick, NJ).

I cannot find anything on any of Arcangela's parents/siblings in the US after the ship's manifest. I would love to know that and more importantly, about the family in Italy that they left.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, Marie
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Thanks for the update, Marie :-)

We'll see what we can do...

T.
mariemaye
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariemaye »

Thanks Tessa!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

This looks like a POSSIBILITY for a 1900 Census for John Dondero and family in New Jersey...
Wife is Mary...
Sons Joseph and Dominic are correct ages...
Rest of family includes wives of the sons and grandchildren...

1900 United States Federal Census
about John Dondaro
Name: John Dondaro
[John Dohman]
Home in 1900: Landis, Cumberland, New Jersey
Birth Date: Jan 1833
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1881
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's name: Mary Dondaro
Marriage Year: 1860
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 40
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
John Dondaro 67
Mary Dondaro 63
Joseph Dondaro 40
Domonic Dondaro 35

Josphine Dondaro 37
Rosa Dondaro 33
Mary Dondaro 16
Elizabeth Dondaro 15
Rosa Dondaro 11
Louisa Dondaro 8
John Dondaro 6
Amilia Dondaro 3
Charles Dondaro 11/12

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/9517 ... census.jpg

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Possible 1920 Census for Joseph Dondero, the son, still in Landis, NJ
Wife - Josephine
Children:
Louis Dondero 19
Frances Dondero 16
John Dondero 26
Margaret Dondero 19
Natale Dondero 1 month

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/3665 ... census.jpg

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

There are no online resources that can provide what you want to know about the Dondero family in Italy.

Microfilmed records for Genoa/Genova only begin in 1866 (you might be able to find the 1866 birth for Domenico. You can view these at your local LDS Family History Center
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... i+Genova+2++

There are currently 60 listings in the Italian Phone book in Genova. If you decide to write to one or more, here is help with letters.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... #relatives

T.
mariemaye
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariemaye »

Thanks Tessa for all of your help!
Marie
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Hi, just for information........I had been doing research for some of my family who came to the U.S. I had birth records, marriages, etc. While looking for these individuals in the U.S. I learned where some were buried after making contact with a family member.

I received pictures of the headstones and much to my surprise, birth dates were somewhat different, incorrect spelling of names.

I believe that when the headstone were prepared 1. information was given incorrectly 2. The preparer did not understand what was being said or 3. the person giving the information to the preparer did not know the true information.

Headstones are great but like census and death records, they can be quite inaccurate.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
mariemaye
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariemaye »

Thanks, Lilbees! I was beginning to think the same thing. My uncle is adamant about the spelling on Arcangela's gravestone, but there is no such name as "Donoaro" found anywhere in Italy. It has to be a typo.

Tessa,
I found the censuses that you referred to and I think Arcangela's parents and siblings must have settled in Vineland, Cumberland County, NJ (a large farming community). The names and approximate ages match up pretty consistently. However, according to the ship's manifest of the "Panchito", they all emigrated in 1867. The censuses all say that they emigrated in 1881, 1883, 1885, etc. not even close to the date of 1867. Is this common? How sure can I be that Joseph Dondero is the brother of Arcangela?
Thanks,
Marie
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

mariemaye wrote:Thanks, Lilbees! I was beginning to think the same thing. My uncle is adamant about the spelling on Arcangela's gravestone, but there is no such name as "Donoaro" found anywhere in Italy. It has to be a typo.

Tessa,
I found the censuses that you referred to and I think Arcangela's parents and siblings must have settled in Vineland, Cumberland County, NJ (a large farming community). The names and approximate ages match up pretty consistently. However, according to the ship's manifest of the "Panchito", they all emigrated in 1867. The censuses all say that they emigrated in 1881, 1883, 1885, etc. not even close to the date of 1867. Is this common? How sure can I be that Joseph Dondero is the brother of Arcangela?
Thanks,
Marie
Did you notice how the approx. date of immigration gets later and later with each 10 year census? Memories weren't always accurate, especially if they were somewhat illiterate immigrants, or someone who didn't know the correct date was providing the answers to the census questions. Dates were hard to get right!
I would say, if you have the manifest, that would be the date....

As for Joseph as Arcangela's brother... you will have to locate other documentation to confirm or reject that. Based on what you have...he is PROBABLY her brother, but not positively her brother.

T.
mariemaye
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariemaye »

Thanks Tessa. Will look more deeply into Joseph.
Marie
mariemaye
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariemaye »

I am unable to find any census info/documentation on my great-great-great-great grandparents, Giovanni and Maria Dondero, other than the ship's manifest in 1867 and 1900 NJ Census. I have pored through the censuses and find nothing. I am wondering if they had more children once they settled in the US.
Also, I believe several of the children they emigrated with may have died. If the daughters married, how could I find them?
Can anyone direct me as to where else I can look?
Thanks,
Marie