Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865
I read "agrimensore" which my on-line dictionary translates into "Land surveyor"
Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865
I'm inclined to agree with Livio, as the looped letter that comes down does look like the letter s which is in the first part of the mother's maiden name-in the part Casa
Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865
Thanks Peg and Tess.
Vico Primo is right around the corner from Vico Secundo - very close. Yes, they do look like alley's too.
So would an agriculturist have a title of a Don? What exactly would an agriculturist do differently than a farmer?
I will post another document later today that may have his profession more readable. Definitely, the Don and Donna are very noticeable on this particular document. Raffaele seems to have a profession I have not seen listed before too. It looks like possidente/passidente.
Thanks, Annette
Vico Primo is right around the corner from Vico Secundo - very close. Yes, they do look like alley's too.
So would an agriculturist have a title of a Don? What exactly would an agriculturist do differently than a farmer?
I will post another document later today that may have his profession more readable. Definitely, the Don and Donna are very noticeable on this particular document. Raffaele seems to have a profession I have not seen listed before too. It looks like possidente/passidente.
Thanks, Annette
Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865
Livio,
I just checked the document I plan to post later today, when I get a chance, and it does look like agrimensore, (land surveyor) like you said. Would that be a type of profession that would get you the title of Don?
Thanks, Annette
I just checked the document I plan to post later today, when I get a chance, and it does look like agrimensore, (land surveyor) like you said. Would that be a type of profession that would get you the title of Don?
Thanks, Annette
Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865
Annette
The new occupation you are looking at is the word possidente which was a landowner.
I don't think an agricoltore would have been a member of the nobility and have the title Don. I do, however, believe that an agrimensore would have had a title, as there was a lot of education involved in being a person who surveyed the land. I think that a person with that occupation had to have studied mathematics and science. I don't think an agricoltore would have been educated. I found in my one Sicilian town that those who were contadini or peasants in the earlier records were called agricoltori in the more recent records. In another town in Sicily the word replaced the word coloni. Coloni were tenant farmers who did not own the land that they farmed. When feudalism was abolished in the early 1800s, the term for the farmers in that town changed to agricoltori. So I believe that agricoltori were members of the lower or peasant class. Your ancestor in the record had the title Don and was not a member of the lower class. Also he appears to have been literate, as he did sign the record. Based on the fact that he could sign his name and his occupation, he was educated.
The new occupation you are looking at is the word possidente which was a landowner.
I don't think an agricoltore would have been a member of the nobility and have the title Don. I do, however, believe that an agrimensore would have had a title, as there was a lot of education involved in being a person who surveyed the land. I think that a person with that occupation had to have studied mathematics and science. I don't think an agricoltore would have been educated. I found in my one Sicilian town that those who were contadini or peasants in the earlier records were called agricoltori in the more recent records. In another town in Sicily the word replaced the word coloni. Coloni were tenant farmers who did not own the land that they farmed. When feudalism was abolished in the early 1800s, the term for the farmers in that town changed to agricoltori. So I believe that agricoltori were members of the lower or peasant class. Your ancestor in the record had the title Don and was not a member of the lower class. Also he appears to have been literate, as he did sign the record. Based on the fact that he could sign his name and his occupation, he was educated.
Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865
Yes, Livio, I would agree with this!liviomoreno wrote:I read "agrimensore" which my on-line dictionary translates into "Land surveyor"
T.
Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865
Thanks for the explanations, everyone!
Here is the document as promised:
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7629/sf186520.jpg
It seems he married someone whose parents have Don and Donna in front of their names too. They appear to be from Oliveto?
Peg, you said that someone signed their name? I missed that. Which document did you see the signature on?
Thanks, Annette
Here is the document as promised:
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7629/sf186520.jpg
It seems he married someone whose parents have Don and Donna in front of their names too. They appear to be from Oliveto?
Peg, you said that someone signed their name? I missed that. Which document did you see the signature on?
Thanks, Annette
Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865
Annette
In the first image you posted, it states at the bottom that the document was signed by us (referring to the town officials-although only one town official's signature appears at the bottom and that the informant signed the document as well (that would be Don Giuseppe Sarricchio, although his signature doesn't appear on the image). Then it states that the witnesses did not sign, as they were illiterate.
I'm in the middle of doing something else right now and don't have time to translate the latest document you posted.
Peg
In the first image you posted, it states at the bottom that the document was signed by us (referring to the town officials-although only one town official's signature appears at the bottom and that the informant signed the document as well (that would be Don Giuseppe Sarricchio, although his signature doesn't appear on the image). Then it states that the witnesses did not sign, as they were illiterate.
I'm in the middle of doing something else right now and don't have time to translate the latest document you posted.
Peg
Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865
Ok, thanks Peg!
We probably can't see the signature as that is part of the processetti. If I order the microfilm for his birth, that would probably show his signature.
Thanks again! You are all amazing!
Annette
We probably can't see the signature as that is part of the processetti. If I order the microfilm for his birth, that would probably show his signature.
Thanks again! You are all amazing!
Annette
Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865
Notification dated 23 January 1865bkworm10 wrote:Thanks for the explanations, everyone!
Here is the document as promised:
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7629/sf186520.jpg
It seems he married someone whose parents have Don and Donna in front of their names too. They appear to be from Oliveto?
Peg, you said that someone signed their name? I missed that. Which document did you see the signature on?
Thanks, Annette
It is clear from this document that the deceased Don Giuseppe Sarricchio was an "agrimensore" (land surveyor) as Livio stated. Raffaele, 34, is a possidente (land owner).
Bride's name seems to be Annunziata Carolina Antonia Fitipaldi (?), 34, daughter of deceased Don Ferdinando (can't read his occupation) of Oliveto; and of Donna Barbara Spagna also of Oliveto.
T.
Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865
Thanks Tess! The last name of the bride is Fittipaldi - I'm pretty sure of that.
I also could not make out the occupation of the bride's father.
Annette
I also could not make out the occupation of the bride's father.
Annette
Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865
Maybe Peg or Livio can figure that one out 
I kept seeing "balaio" and I KNOW that can't be it
And yes, I did finally get Fittipaldi as the bride's surname
T.
I kept seeing "balaio" and I KNOW that can't be it
And yes, I did finally get Fittipaldi as the bride's surname
T.
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865
Don Ferdinando Fittipaldi was a Notary (Notajo) in Oliveto [Lucano]. At least this is what I read.
Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865
Thanks Livio and Tess!
