Salvatore Martora immigration

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
oilman19
Master
Master

Salvatore Martora immigration

Post by oilman19 »

I have been seeking the immigration and possible census reports for my 1C2R Salvatore Martora. He must have arrived around 1900 because his older brother Matteo was going to see him on one of his trips to U.S.
I have good info on Matteo and his family but not on Salvatore. At some point, he changed his name to Martire in U.S (as did his brother Matteo). He settled in Pittsburgh, PA, and was born 15 Feb 1888 in Santa Maria C.V. I don't know when, where, or who he married. No records I have found seem to match up to the info that I know to be correct.
Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Salvatore Martora immigration

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Jim,

The dates seem a bit odd to me only because I would not expect Matteo to say he was coming to the US to visit his brother who was then ~12 years old. Certainly Salvatore wasn't living on his own at that age?

Sorry; just doesn't ring true for me...

Ahh, I found Matteo's manifest and see that he came over in June, 1910. So, Salvatore would have been 22 years old and could have arrived as late as early 1910; not 1900.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I'm sorry I goofed up that date. Matteo came over a couple of times and I messed up on which trip he had noted to see his brother.
Thank you for your patience.
Note: Carmine, this is the Matteo you found in the 1930 census for me. It was after he changed the spelling of his name to Martire, and I could no longer locate him.
Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jim,

No success yet finding a manifest or census record, but did locate this WWII registration card.
Salvatore Martire, born 15 Feb. 1888 in Santa Maria, living in Pittsburgh.

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/5166 ... rewwii.jpg

T.

Edit:
Also found this WWI reg. card for Salvatore Martoro in Pittsburgh with birthdate of Feb. 1888. Could be him?

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9389/mar ... orewwi.jpg

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

This sure looks like him. Any guess on who Mrs. Kiton Salvatore is? Same address.
I can't figure out why he seems so elusive. I know he lived and probably died in PA. I don't know when his surname change occurred.
It is a mystery.
Thank you,

Jim
Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Jim,

Found this 1930 Census from Pittsburgh which may be Salvatore, but listed as Samuel martire. Wife's name here is written as "Guytana" and on the WWII card is written "Kiton". Similar sounding for someone not familiar with the name Gaetana and trying to write it phonetically. In 1930 there are 3 children, all born in Pennsylvania. Samuel (Salvatore)'s age is given as 43 (so born about 1887-88), and immigration year about 1905.

edited link: OOOPPSSS! :?

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1313/m ... 930cen.jpg

T.

edit:
I think the "Kiton Salvatore" is an error. Probably should have been written Gaetana Martire. Looks like someone got frustrated with the spelling/understanding of the name.

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Tessa,
Could you edit the image you sent. I got the ww1 registration card again.
Thanks,

Jim
Jim

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Jim, FWIW, it may be possible to obtain a much clearer copy of the WWI draft card at a reasonable ($5) cost. See http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... t=tip.html
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Carmine, that was an interesting thread. Thank you for sharing it with me. Is your son overseas in the military? My wife's son in law is in Iraq but he is due to come home in a few months.
Tessa, as usual, thank you for your help. Any theories on why that 1905 immigration can't be found? Also, it would appear from the census that he would have been married about 1912, probably in U.S. Is there any way to track marriages is PA? I am going to try to speak with Salvatore's nephew today. I will try to verify some info. I don't know what he knows about his uncle.

Jim
Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Based on the information in the census (Gaetana immigration in 1913), I would guess that they were married in Italy. Of course, there is no way of telling right now if it was in SMCV.

If they WERE married in Italy, then there should be a manifest for Salvatore around 1912/1913, don't you think?

I'm thinking there are MANY variations of the Martora name to be viewed!

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

oilman19 wrote:Carmine, that was an interesting thread. Thank you for sharing it with me. Is your son overseas in the military? My wife's son in law is in Iraq but he is due to come home in a few months.
He was recently home on a 2 week leave but has returned to Afghanistan. He, along with 700 other Connecticut National Guard deployed to Afghanistan early this year, hopes to complete his tour before Thanksgiving.

Thanks for asking. All the best to your wife's son-in-law.
Carmine

oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I spoke with Salvatore's nephew. That is definitely his uncle on the census. Those are his children. He didn't know anything about the name Samuel. They weren't a close family. I think he only met him once. When Ralph (the nephew) came back from WW2, he took his father to PA to visit his uncle. It was the only time he went to PA. He thinks they were married in Italy. That was all I was able to get from him.

Jim
Jim

oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Thank you Carmine. I hope they all stay safe.

Tessa, I didn't see that immigration date. You are right. I don't know if I have that film to check for a marriage. I don't think I do. I am going to go with that assumption until I can check the film. It seems like Salvatore made more than 1 trip from Italy. He hasn't left a very good trail, has he.
I have something to start with for now.
Thank you,

Jim
Jim

jamielaw

Post by jamielaw »

Its very interesting thread
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I believe that this could be the 1920 census:
1920 United States Federal Census
about Salvatore Maturo
Name: Salvatore Maturo
Home in 1920: Pittsburgh Ward 12, Allegheny, Pennsylvania
Estimated birth year: abt 1888
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's name: Ciatoni Maturo
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of immigration: 1908
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Salvatore Maturo 32
Ciatoni Maturo 28 imm. 1913 alien
Jermiah Maturo 5
Josephine Maturo 0
[1/12]
Joseph Caroff 28
Luigi Roco 40

http://img201.imageshack.us/i/1920salvatore.jpg/

the surname is mispelled as a well Gaetana first name, but I am positive that is the right family...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH