Response from Citta di Amantea - Any Ideas?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

Response from Citta di Amantea - Any Ideas?

Post by jennabet »

I just received a letter today from Citta di Amantea, Prov. di Cosenza. They have no birth certificate for Teresa Mannarino. I gave her birth-date as August 1896 or 1897 and the name of her parents, Antonio Mannarino and Francesca Veltri both from Amantea.

Upon further research, I found that Teresa Mannarino's birth date is actually August 26, 1895. So I was one year off but I think the Comune di Amantea would have found her anyway if she were actually born in Amantea.

Can anyone help me out with in which Comune her birth certificate might be filed? This is the last document I need. She died in the US in 1989 at the age of 94 and supposedly she came to America when she was 3 or 4 years old so I would need somebody to check a ship record for me if at all possible. Thanks much in advance.
jalapeno89
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Response from Citta di Amantea - Any Ideas?

Post by jalapeno89 »

i had a similar issue, my great grandfather was from Colliano, Salerno. Both his marriage certificate and certificate of naturalization state that he was born in Colliano. I contacted Colliano, they had records of my great grandmother, but none for my great grandfather. I was confused at first, but then contacted the Province of Salerno - they quickly responded that they could not find his birth certificate but that they had his military records which had place of birth (Colliano) and his date of birth. I called the consulate that i am going through (Houston) and asked if this would be enough, they said yes. So i guess long story short, contact the province, they should be able to help.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Thank you. I will give the province a try.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

supposedly she came to America when she was 3 or 4 years old so I would need somebody to check a ship record for me if at all possible.
Here is a 1903 ship manifest for Francesca Veltri, 32, from Amantea, traveling with daughter Teresa (Veltri crossed out and "Manirini" written over it), age 7.
Going to husband/father Antonio Mannarino, in Rynedale, PA.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0029

T.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Yes, that's them. Thanks very much, Tessa.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

My pleasure :-)

T.