Scilipoti- Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dsillyp

Scilipoti- Sicily

Post by dsillyp »

I am looking for the family of Scilipoti Domenica directly from Bafia Sicily, but may have been born in the neighboring Castroreale or Barcellona. Married to Scilipoti, Mario. I have his family but cannot locate her, partially because I don't know her parents. Domenica's maiden name is Scilipoti as well as her married name, but they aren't related at all! Her fathers name may have been Carmello, Carmen or her mothers name may have been Carmella. Domenica was orphaned early in life. Her brother was Salvatore who remained in Bafia till death.

I've been to ellisisland.com but since I don't know her line I really can't say who those people are.

I've emailed the commune at Castroreale, but no answer. I saw a post that suggests mailing so I will, but in the meantime, anything online that can be done??

Thanks!
bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao ciao ciao!
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Scilipoti- Sicily

Post by brujaojos »

dsillyp wrote:I am looking for the family of Scilipoti Domenica directly from Bafia Sicily, but may have been born in the neighboring Castroreale or Barcellona. Married to Scilipoti, Mario. I have his family but cannot locate her, partially because I don't know her parents. Domenica's maiden name is Scilipoti as well as her married name, but they aren't related at all! Her fathers name may have been Carmello, Carmen or her mothers name may have been Carmella. Domenica was orphaned early in life. Her brother was Salvatore who remained in Bafia till death.

I've been to ellisisland.com but since I don't know her line I really can't say who those people are.

I've emailed the commune at Castroreale, but no answer. I saw a post that suggests mailing so I will, but in the meantime, anything online that can be done??

Thanks!
Hi,

There is microfilm that you can order and rent from your local Family History Center for the town of Castroreale. It usually costs about $3.50 a roll and you can check for the birth act.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

I hope this helps.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
dsillyp

Post by dsillyp »

Thanks much for the info. I have copied and will hit the family center nearest me.

I have my grandmothers SSN. I understand I can get her SS5 for $27. Has anyone actually gotten one of these for their ancestors? If so, did it have the names of the applicants parents?
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Was PA the state they settled in?

Have you seen a census record for them?

I did check for a manifest ... there was a Mario who traveled to the USA in 1921... Am really hoping that Domenica made it into the USA 1924 or sooner, as Ellis manifests online are up to 1924.

First Name: Mario
Last Name: Scilipoti
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Castroreale, Sicily
Date of Arrival: May 09, 1921
Age at Arrival:  23    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M  
Ship of Travel: Patria
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0004

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0491%2ETIF

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

1930 census
http://img217.exs.cx/img217/2859/mario0jy.jpg

Name:   Mario Scilipati
Estimated birth year:   abt 1897
Birthplace:   Italy
Relation to head-of-house:   Head
Spouse's Name:   Dominica Scilipati
Race:   White
Home in 1930:   Baltimore, Baltimore (Independent City), Maryland

Domenica and daughter both immigrated in 1928... :?

mfjp
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

dsillyp wrote:Thanks much for the info. I have copied and will hit the family center nearest me.

I have my grandmothers SSN. I understand I can get her SS5 for $27. Has anyone actually gotten one of these for their ancestors? If so, did it have the names of the applicants parents?
Hi there,

A Social Security Application does not have the parents on the document. It should have the exact place of Origin, but you can't count on that either.

If you have are Death Date, do you have her Death Certificate? That could have the parents names on it.

Was she married in the USA? If so, try to get her Marriage Application for that too will list her parents.

Keep us posted how you make out with the microfilm.

Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mfjp wrote:1930 census
http://img217.exs.cx/img217/2859/mario0jy.jpg

Name:   Mario Scilipati
Estimated birth year:   abt 1897
Birthplace:   Italy
Relation to head-of-house:   Head
Spouse's Name:   Dominica Scilipati
Race:   White
Home in 1930:   Baltimore, Baltimore (Independent City), Maryland

Domenica and daughter both immigrated in 1928... :?

mfjp
Hi mfjp, many regards from ITALY!
and also: Domenica SCILIPOTI
Birth Date: 8 Apr 1900
Death Date: Nov 1980
Social Security Number: 217-05-4566
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Maryland

Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 21224
Localities: Baltimore, Baltimore (City), Maryland
Canton, Baltimore (City), Maryland
Colgate, Baltimore (City), Maryland
Eastpoint, Baltimore (City), Maryland
Eastwood, Baltimore (City), Maryland
Highlandtown, Baltimore (City), Maryland

Death Benefit Localities
Zip Code: 21224
Localities: Baltimore, Baltimore (City), Maryland
Canton, Baltimore (City), Maryland
Colgate, Baltimore (City), Maryland
Eastpoint, Baltimore (City), Maryland
Eastwood, Baltimore (City), Maryland
Highlandtown, Baltimore (City), Maryland

suanj
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

HI,

I have ordered copies of SS applications for ancestors and the form did require the applicant to list names of parents, including mothers maiden name. The applications I have written for were completed late 1940's.

But, life is never that easy. Names are not always written out. I have one that mother is listed as Unknown, not even a first name. And as mentioned by Trish place of birth may have a city and county or may just say Italy. These applications seem to be a $27 roll of the dice. But, when you are looking for every scrap of information, sometimes you need to try.

Debbie
dsillyp

Scilipoti / Fedeli

Post by dsillyp »

Thanks to all for the help on nonna Scilipoti.

Still haven't gotten her birth certificate but am getting closer.

Through this research I found I am eligible for dual citizenship on my maternal grandfathers side. His name is Guido Fedeli. I have his birth certificate, naturalization paper, death certificate and marriage as well as the info I need on my mom. The one piece I don't have is the date Guido arrived in America. His brother Attillio arrived Baltimore April 30,1920 on the Regina d Italia. Their home town was Sant' Elpidio a Mare.

My question is if there is any way to search the entire manifest of the ship. I did go 10 pages each way, but this will take forever that way. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks again for everything, this site is priceless.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: abt Guido Fedeli.. was married when came in USA? birthyear...? suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
dsillyp

Post by dsillyp »

Thanks Suanj,

Guido was a single man when he came to America. He married in Baltimore 18AUG1924 to an American citizen. His dob is 3Oct1898 provincia of Ascoli Piceno, Sant'Elpidio a Mare.

I don't know for a fact that the Attillo that came in 1920 to be his brother. I just did the math and this Attillo was the same age and came from the same town. Although Attillo did not stay in this country.

Again, I do appreciate your time. I realize you actually make a living helping people find their relatives and for you to do this free is just unbelievable. Same with everyone on this site that are doing the same.
dsillyp

Post by dsillyp »

suanj
Where did you get the info on Domenica's dob? We have always celebrated it on April 1. Thanks,
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hello,
My question is if there is any way to search the entire manifest of the ship. I did go 10 pages each way, but this will take forever that way. Any suggestions would be welcome.
What name were you searching with to have you go forwards/backwards each way?

Guido.... did he have a middle name? I am guessing that he could have used the name "Guy" in America?

I did find a 1910 census record of a Guy Fedeli (BD 1887)... but birthdate is off by a few years... Guy worked as a carpenter in a brewery in Ohio.

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

dsillyp wrote:suanj
Where did you get the info on Domenica's dob? We have always celebrated it on April 1. Thanks,
on Mormons website.. suanj
PS: to purpose, in my experience i see that the birthdate on SSDN Mormons about ancestors, is exact always...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
markrobinson

Re: Scilipoti / Fedeli

Post by markrobinson »

dsillyp wrote:Thanks to all for the help on nonna Scilipoti.

Still haven't gotten her birth certificate but am getting closer.

Through this research I found I am eligible for dual citizenship on my maternal grandfathers side. His name is Guido Fedeli. I have his birth certificate, naturalization paper, death certificate and marriage as well as the info I need on my mom. The one piece I don't have is the date Guido arrived in America. His brother Attillio arrived Baltimore April 30,1920 on the Regina d Italia. Their home town was Sant' Elpidio a Mare.

Thanks again for everything, this site is priceless.
Hi there. Although this topic seems fairly old I am hoping someone could help me out. All of the Fedeli's I have in my family are from the Sant'Elpidio area and Porto San Giorgio towns in Italy. The first Fedeli's in my family came over at approximately this time through Ellis Island however Ihave no listing of a Guido Fedeli. My great grandfather Giacomo Domenico Fedeli came to the United States with his wife Giorgina Serroni on Feb 8 1914 and they went to Canada where their children were born. They ended up going to the Lake Worth, Florida area to setup a dairy farm however not many years later they went back to Porto San Giorgio.

I am hoping that you can help me with some information. I belive my Great Grandfathers fathers name was Giuseppe Fedeli and I see you said you had Guido's birth certificate.

Do you have any information you can share?
Thanks so much!