Non Direct Line Ascendants

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

Non Direct Line Ascendants

Post by jennabet »

Our consulate is asking for a simple foto copy birth certificates of non direct line grand-mother and non-direct line father.

Birth certificate for grand-mother in Italy -- no problem. We've got it.

Birth certificate for father born in Okalahoma another matter entirely. Reason being, father of father is unknown. And sur name of mother is also unknown. Oklahoma is not an open records state and doesn't want to cooperate.

We do have death certificate for non-direct line father and would like to substitute a simple foto copy of death certificate for simple foto copy of birth certificate. Will this fly? Remember it is non-direct line.

By the way, even on death certificate, issued in 2008, mother's sur name is unknown. Can you believe that?
mler
Master
Master

Re: Non Direct Line Ascendants

Post by mler »

That's really unusual. I think, though, that the consulate cannot really turn down your application for failure to provide non-citizen line documents. Many consulates ask for them, but ultimately if you are unable to obtain them, they can't really say you're ineligible if you prove the Italian line.

If it's truly impossible to get these documents, a letter from Oklahoma stating this may be sufficient.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

One has to wonder, what is the point of simple (uncertified/untranslated/unapostiled) photocopies? They can't be used for any legal purpose and are not going to be sent to Italy for registration (precisely because they are uncertified/untranslated/unapostiled).

I would suggest that you do the best you can and then simply say, "I am so sorry, we were unable to locate that document" for the missing ones.

Of course, I have no idea how the consulate will react..
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Correct, uncertified/untranslated/unapostiled photocopies cannot be used for any legal purpose so I think they may be solely to identify the other side of the family, should there be any questions about them. There have been cases where descendants of Italians have returned to find themselves involved in an old vendetta.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Also, information about the other side of the family is useful for inheritance rights, which you will have automatically when you are recognized as an Italian citizen.
dalemma

Post by dalemma »

Which consulate are you using? I'm using Detroit and don't know if they'll take non-direct photo copies. Thanx