I am impatient and anxious. help me write this letter.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

I am impatient and anxious. help me write this letter.

Post by sceaminmonkey »

so I cant wait anymore because it is driving me nuts. its been three months and now I am going to write a letter to my commune of registration to see if I am registered there yet. does anyone have a such a letter already that I can use as a template? in italian of course.
UpstateNY

Re: I am impatient and anxious. help me write this letter.

Post by UpstateNY »

I would email the consulate.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Alot of people say don't and they will not know if in registered until my commune tells them to and I've worked with my commune before and they are very busy and very slow
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

I have been waiting over 18 months, geee 3 months is nothng.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

WOW 8O that shut me up! wait a minute what consulate did you go through? and why 18months? why are we all getting different wait times? have you followed up? 18 months is crazy!!
UpstateNY

Post by UpstateNY »

Don't listen to people who tell you not to ask..you will end up waiting 18 months lol. The wheel that squeeks gets the grease...
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I don't think I have ever heard that expression before. I like that. And I dunno the consul officials do seem tempermental
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

If you applied in NY, and I believe you have, there is no need to write to your comune. New York is one of the few consulates that notifies you of the acceptance of your application (either by e-mail or letter) as soon as they approve it and at the same time that your documents are sent to the comune.

So you will probably have the information even before the comune does. Once you have the letter from the consulate, you can apply for a passport immediately. I would tend to advise against bothering them. Squeaky wheels may sometimes be greased, but they may sometimes be replaced by other wheels. In other words, if you annoy them too much, they may place your file at the bottom of the pack.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I called the Philly consulate once a month for a status update because I was not renewing my lease and was moving to Italy instead so I needed my passport.

Screaming, if you are going to Italy for a stay longer than three months, do call the consulate and tell them about your plans. But also be prepared to provide them with a copy of your plane ticket.

If you're going to Italy for less than three months, you can use your American passport.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Jennabet makes an important distinction. The consulates will try very hard to accommodate an applicant with a pressing need--someone who is relocating to Italy, attending school in Italy, has a job in Italy, etc. But if you're not planning an extended stay in Italy, you can use your American passport with ease, and there is no need to bother them. They do not like being bothered unnecessarily.

The Philadelphia consulate is a really good one. For a time, we resided in its jurisdiction and were quite pleased. I like Newark too, but for applicants, there is sometimes a longer wait because they insist on a complete registration at the comune before they will register you in AIRE and permit you to get a passport. That they don't do this in NY is a real plus, although, from what I've been hearing, they have other issues.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

wow with all this I dont know what to think. they told me three months but is it possible it will be over a year?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You'll probably hear soon.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

would you all mind posting your overall wait times? just to give others an idea. My bit*hing thread might as well be of use to others. and I do plan on going to italy this summer in may for a study abroad program. I do not plan on staying longer than three months though. however I would like to travel to italy with an italian passport.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It's nice to be able to travel in Italy on an Italian passport, but since you are planning to stay fewer than three months, it's not urgent that you have it. Wait times vary, and I'll be pleased to give you mine, but it was several years ago and a different situation. (One year after our first visit, and five weeks after my husband's visit on our behalf.)