Looking for Saverio D'Urso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Genquilts
Rookie
Rookie

Looking for Saverio D'Urso

Post by Genquilts »

I am looking for information on Saverio D'Urso from Toritto, Bari. I have been unable to find his manifest in the Ellis Island Records.
I know he left his wife Maria Francesca DiGesi with at least three children in Italy.

I know he arrived before 1909 because I have found the manifest of his children coming to meet him in April of that year.

I have posted in two other threads on this board, and I thank everyone who has helped me get this far! Any suggestions on where to go from here?
Thanks!
Carol
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Looking for Saverio D'Urso

Post by suanj »

Genquilts wrote:I am looking for information on Saverio D'Urso from Toritto, Bari. I have been unable to find his manifest in the Ellis Island Records.
I know he left his wife Maria Francesca DiGesi with at least three children in Italy.

I know he arrived before 1909 because I have found the manifest of his children coming to meet him in April of that year.

I have posted in two other threads on this board, and I thank everyone who has helped me get this far! Any suggestions on where to go from here?
Thanks!
Carol
Hi Carol: an Saverio D'Urso from Toritto came in 1902, age 40... can be??? see please( the name is very mistaken, but from reading of ship's manifest really is Saverio D'Urso from Toritto):
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipm ... 2745022206
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Have you ruled out the manifest for Stefano D'Urso who arrived from Toritto in 1905 at age 54 with his wife, Maria?
Donna Pellegrin
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

How about telling us where Saverio was in the US? Did he remain here or go back to his wife in Italy? What were the names of the children who arrived in 1909?

If we can find him in the census, we might be able to tell when he arrived. Did he go by a different name then Saverio? There are no Saverio's or Xaviers that I can find with that last name.

Let us know.........
Genquilts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Genquilts »

DonnaPellegrin wrote:Have you ruled out the manifest for Stefano D'Urso who arrived from Toritto in 1905 at age 54 with his wife, Maria?
This is not the D'urso I am looking for. He came first, alone, two of his children came here to meet him, leaving Maria in Italy in 1909.
Genquilts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Genquilts »

Essgee wrote:How about telling us where Saverio was in the US? Did he remain here or go back to his wife in Italy? What were the names of the children who arrived in 1909?

If we can find him in the census, we might be able to tell when he arrived. Did he go by a different name then Saverio? There are no Saverio's or Xaviers that I can find with that last name.

Let us know.........
From the history I got from my mother-in-law, the family settled in New York, New York near Mott Street. The daughter, Nunzia (Nengia) who I believe arrived in April of 1909 with her younger brother Nicola, was married in a civil ceremony Feb 2, 1911. . A copy of her marriage certificate gave her address as 129 Mott Street, NY City. I also have a copy of the church certificate from "Parrocchia Italiana di S. Gioacchino" on Roosevelt Street NY, May 9, 1912. Parents were Saverio D'Urso and Maria DiGieso of Toritto prov. di Bari

Thank you so much for all your help!
Genquilts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Genquilts »

Hi Carol: an Saverio D'Urso from Toritto came in 1902, age 40... can be??? see please( the name is very mistaken, but from reading of ship's manifest really is Saverio D'Urso from Toritto):
regards, suanj
Suanj, You are amazing! I tried searches on the Ellis Island site, and could never find anything! But when I look at this manifest, it might very well be the one I am looking for! The age seems right, and certainly where he came from was correct! I cannot read the name in the column 'relative left from'. Normally, would that have been the name of his wife?
Thank you again for all your help!!!! :D
Carol
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

On same manifest, line 3, is joining a D'Urso......

wldspirit
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Genquilts wrote:
regards, suanj
Suanj, You are amazing! I tried searches on the Ellis Island site, and could never find anything! But when I look at this manifest, it might very well be the one I am looking for! The age seems right, and certainly where he came from was correct! I cannot read the name in the column 'relative left from'. Normally, would that have been the name of his wife?
Thank you again for all your help!!!! :D
Carol
who tries.... finds
in the column that you mentions I read that he joining in NY with an friend Casamapimo/Casaprimo/Casamassimo or similar surname, I read no well... for me, this Saverio D'Urso on ship's manifest , is he... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Suanj,

Re: "Savesio Di Urso" manifest...

You found a great manifest!! :P

I checked a list of Toritto passengers to Ellis Island and the name you transcribed could probably be

Fo...(Francesco?) Casamassima (many from Toritto with this surname)

There are 4,880 manifests for "Toritto "spelled correctly... I had never heard of the town before... but look how many people left Italy!! It is almost frightening to see this many leave from a town.

saluti suanj!!
mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mfjp wrote:Hi Suanj,

Re: "Savesio Di Urso" manifest...

You found a great manifest!! :P

I checked a list of Toritto passengers to Ellis Island and the name you transcribed could probably be

Fo...(Francesco?) Casamassima (many from Toritto with this surname)

There are 4,880 manifests for "Toritto "spelled correctly... I had never heard of the town before... but look how many people left Italy!! It is almost frightening to see this many leave from a town.

saluti suanj!!
mfjp
Thank you mfjp!
when the search is difficult, is necessary to think as an american could interpret, read and transcribe an Italian name, so to have some idea, and to search manually .....about:
Fo.. Casamassima, could be...
saluti e baci
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH