Help With Sicilian Ancestors

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Help With Sicilian Ancestors

Post by jjulian14712 »

I have traced the ancestry of two branches of my family back to two specific towns in Sicily, but writing to them has not yet produced results. Here are the two families:

PANEPINTO: Antonino Panepinto and two of his children, Vincenza (Jennie) and Calogera (Carrie) arrived at Ellis Island from Valledolmo in 1899. Antonino's wife, Salvatora Martina, and their three remaining children, Antonina (Lena), Gandolfo (Frank) and Felice (Thomas) arrived at Ellis Island from Valledolmo and joined the rest of the family in Buffalo, New York the following year. When I requested information from Valledolmo, they wrote back with the fact that more than one Antonino Panepinto was born in 1852. The choice I'm leaning toward for Antonino's father is Gandolfo, since that's what Antonino named his first-born son.

DIFORTE: Calogero DiForte and his wife Luigia Palermo came separately to Ellis Island in the 1890s from Marianopoli, and were joined by their sons Fillippo and Salvatore from Marianopoli around that same time in Buffalo, New York. Marianopoli responded to my letter by saying that they do not have a record of either Calogero ar Luigia being born in the years listed on the ship's manifest, but that's probably because the dates are approximate. I'm starting to learn that dates and ages are often inaccurate.

I would like to discover ancestors who lived further back into the past, but for both of these branches of our family, I am not able to proceed any further. I know that there are many experts on this forum who have a great deal of knowledge, and if any of you would be willing to use your skill to help me take my research to the next level, our entire family would appreciate it very much.

Thanks,

Jeff Julian
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Help With Sicilian Ancestors

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jeff,

When you wrote to Valledolmo requesting Antonino's birth record, did you also include information about his marriage to Salvatora Martina?

I looked at your Family Tree on Ancestry and found the 1900 US Census which states that Antonino and Salvatora had been married for 22 years at that time. That would put a marriage date of approximately 1878.

Why not write again to Valledolmo requesting his marriage record? If you state his wife's name, and the approx. year, there should be no mix-up with the other Antonino Panepinto. The marriage record will confirm (or reject) your thoughts about his father's name being Gandolfo...

Meanwhile----
You could begin your own search for the documents at your nearest LDS (Mormon) Family History Center.
They have microfilmed the civil records of Valledolmo (years 1820 - 1910) and have them available to rent and view...
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... +Valledolm++

For the nearest center...
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

BTW -
The 1900 US Census that you have on your Family Tree has Antonino and Salvatora, with one child, Calogera (14) in Buffalo.

You stated:
PANEPINTO: Antonino Panepinto and two of his children, Vincenza (Jennie) and Calogera (Carrie) arrived at Ellis Island from Valledolmo in 1899. Antonino's wife, Salvatora Martina, and their three remaining children, Antonina (Lena), Gandolfo (Frank) and Felice (Thomas) arrived at Ellis Island from Valledolmo and joined the rest of the family in Buffalo, New York the following year.

Also - and I'm sure you noticed - the family right above them in the census (and the bottom of previous page) is Martina. :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Looked at the manifest you have attached to Antonino's record on Ancestry and although it is for an Antonino Panepinto - he is 29!

Found this record (same month and year - May 1899) for Antonino Panepinto, 48, and daughters Vincenza, 20, and Calogera, 14.
He is joining someone named Calogera Panepinto in Buffalo, NY at #21 Seventh St.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0019

Good guess would be that the person listed as "Salvatora - wife" on the census is actually daughter Vincenza. May have misunderstood the census taker, or the census taker misunderstood - or assumed!

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The manifest you have on your tree for Salvatora and children is not the one on which they sailed - You can see that their names have been crossed out.

Here is the ship on which they sailed, November 1900 - SS Karamania
They are listed as Martina, Salvatora; Martina Panepinto, Antonia; Martina, Felice. There is no Gandolfo with them that I can see.
They are going to husband/father Antonino Panepinto at 226 Terrace St., Buffalo, NY. Last residence was Valledolmo.

Lines 26, 27, 28
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0028

T.
annekellergeraci

Post by annekellergeraci »

OK, I'm going to throw this out here because I see that your ancestors were headed for <<Antonino Panepinto at 226 Terrace St., Buffalo, NY>>.

Is there actually a Terrace St. in Buffalo? I have seen many, many records in Ellis Island from people headed to Terrace St. in Buffalo - I think that it was a "default" address suggested for people who didn't have anywhere else to go. I've attached one from my relatives. Any thoughts on this?
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjulian14712 »

Tessa,

Thank you very much for your efforts on my behalf. I'm going to take your advice, then post the results here as soon as I get them. The situation with Salvatora and her children being detained, then Gandolfo being left off the manifest actually coincides with a story passed down through our family. Gandolfo was sick, so they wouldn't let him on the ship. The rest of the family decided to leave him behind until he recovered, and I've seen the manifest showing him making the trip by himself. There was also something about him losing a shoe overboard.

Anne,

That's really interesting. It turns out that there actually is a Terrace Street in Buffalo. It's possible that the reason so many Italian immigrants listed it is because it's located down by the docks, where many of them worked. Maybe our ancestors were neighbors! Buffalo's public television station is located there now.
jflombardo

Post by jflombardo »

Jeff,

I have found two DiForte's in my ancestry. My great, great, great, great grandfather was Giovanni DiForte. His daughter was Vincenza DiForte and she married Michelangelo Alessi. They had a son Gandolfo Maria Alessi who married Teresa Vella. They had a daughter Salvatrice Alessi, who married Prospero Tabbone. They had a daughter Rosaria Tabbone, who married Michele Lombardo. Their son, Salvatore Lombardo was my grandfather. All of them appear to have been born in Marianopoli. My grandfather emigrated to the United States, where they appear to have settled in Jamestown, NY before moving to Buffalo, NY. They may have spent some time in Pennsylvania prior to moving to Jamestown, although I don't have that part of the picture very clear. My father's name is Joseph Lombardo (Giuseppe Lombardo, to be be accurate from birth records), and who still lives in Buffalo.

Since I do not have the names of my ancestors siblings, I find it often difficult to find where one may be related but by a different branch of the family tree. So, I offer this information on the DiFortes I was able to find in my ancestry in case it is of any help to you.

Best regards,

Joe

Joseph Lombardo
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

jflombardo wrote:Jeff,

I have found two DiForte's in my ancestry. My great, great, great, great grandfather was Giovanni DiForte. His daughter was Vincenza DiForte and she married Michelangelo Alessi. They had a son Gandolfo Maria Alessi who married Teresa Vella. They had a daughter Salvatrice Alessi, who married Prospero Tabbone. They had a daughter Rosaria Tabbone, who married Michele Lombardo. Their son, Salvatore Lombardo was my grandfather. All of them appear to have been born in Marianopoli. My grandfather emigrated to the United States, where they appear to have settled in Jamestown, NY before moving to Buffalo, NY. They may have spent some time in Pennsylvania prior to moving to Jamestown, although I don't have that part of the picture very clear. My father's name is Joseph Lombardo (Giuseppe Lombardo, to be be accurate from birth records), and who still lives in Buffalo.

Since I do not have the names of my ancestors siblings, I find it often difficult to find where one may be related but by a different branch of the family tree. So, I offer this information on the DiFortes I was able to find in my ancestry in case it is of any help to you.

Best regards,

Joe

Joseph Lombardo
Hi Joe! :-)

Should you have the inclination to find out about your ancestor's siblings...
FREE site http://www.familysearch.org has some online records for Marianapoli (1866-1910) :-)
https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D1946840

T.
annekellergeraci

Post by annekellergeraci »

Jeff:

OK, I think I can help you with the Penepinto family. Both sides of my father-in-law's family came from Valledolmo, and actually I have been quite successful in finding birth records and family heritage from this community using the microfilms from the LDS. What I did was to go to an LDS Family Center and look up "Valledolmo" in their index. They have the entire set of records. You will probably need a number of different rolls, and you'll need to learn some basic Italian (or get the help of one of the volunteers at the center). I found this to be much more efficient than the "send a note to Valledolmo" method - it's much cheaper (about $5 per roll), and less of a shot in the dark. I did the Italian letter and it took about 3 months. Before I got the answer back, I was able to find the information myself on the microfilms - plus much more.

What I did find about this family, and pretty much everyone who came from Valledolmo is that (1) They intermarried quite a bit (2) They all ended up in Rochester or Buffalo, NY.

I believe that the Penepinto family probably ended up in Rochester (near where I live), as I have a Charles Penepinto who married Vincenza Teresi (from Valledolmo), but he died around 1905. She remarried, but there I know of at least two Penepinto relatives.

I have a couple of documents that you can download from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rs23dv9ai0gjq ... ations.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/om31ri57s9w1t ... Family.pdf

... which come from a book that I put together on my husband's family. I have a private tree on Ancestry.com if you would like to see it. You can send me an e-mail at annegeraci at hotmail dot com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

- Anne Geraci
jflombardo

Post by jflombardo »

T. Thanks for the link to Marianopoli documents.

Anne, my grandmother came from Valledolmo and settled in Buffalo, which is obviously is close to Buffalo. Her name was Gioachina D'Anna. She married Salvatore Lombardo, who was born in Marianopoli. My uncle tells me that descendants of those who came from Valledolmo hold a festival each year in Buffalo.