Family name of LAURIA from Potenza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
egrbvr
Rookie
Rookie

Family name of LAURIA from Potenza

Post by egrbvr »

Great grandfather was Rocco Luigi Lauria (born 1840's)... emigrated to America around 1880 but returned to Italy several years later. Does this sound familiar to ANYONE? I don't know which area within Potenza.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Re: Family name of LAURIA from Potenza

Post by TriciaFierro »

Do you by chance have the name of his wife and children? I have seen Lauria name in records of Potenza but without the names of other relatives it's difficult to find those pertaining to him. Thank you!
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paolo47 »

Hello, :D
Tricia is right about needing more information.

Here is a manifest for Rocco Lauria from Anzi, Potenza.
First Name: Rocco
Last Name: Lauria
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Anzi, Italy
Date of Arrival: Jun 29, 1893
Age at Arrival: 51y Gender: M Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Weser
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0302
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
egrbvr
Rookie
Rookie

Post by egrbvr »

Yes, I found this info too and believe this is my great grandfather. Unfortunately, there are NO living relatives who ever knew his wife's name nor did I ever hear my dad speak of it. His son, my grandfather, George, was born 5-15-1881 but sadly, no one ever spoke of OTHER children by name. I am just hoping that there is something that can tie this together lacking other dates and names.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Here is your grandfather George's (Giorgio's) birth record from Anzi,Potenza in 1881. His father Rocco Luigi and it appears that his mother's name was Domenica Maria Ciani BUT someone here fluent in reading these documents will need to translate this for you further. I can't read Italian, only bits and pieces of the documents Hope this makes your day! :mrgreen:
[attachment=0]GiorgioLauriaBirthRecord.jpg[/attachment
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

I located Rocco Luigi Lauria's Death record from 1903 in Anzi, Potenza. Again, someone here will need to translate the record for you in it's entirity. Hope this helps you! :D
RoccoLuigiLauriaDeathRecord1903.jpg
Tricia Fierro
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

TriciaFierro wrote:Here is your grandfather George's (Giorgio's) birth record from Anzi,Potenza in 1881. His father Rocco Luigi and it appears that his mother's name was Domenica Maria Ciani BUT someone here fluent in reading these documents will need to translate this for you further. I can't read Italian, only bits and pieces of the documents Hope this makes your day! :mrgreen:
[attachment=0]GiorgioLauriaBirthRecord.jpg[/attachment
This is a birth record for Giorgio Lauria.
Record is dated 15 May 1881 at 9 AM
Rocco Luigi Lauria, 39, peasant farmer, appeared before the official at the town hall to declare that at 11 PM on the 14th of the current month, to his wife Domenica maria Ciani was born a male child to whom they gave the name Giorgio.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

TriciaFierro wrote:I located Rocco Luigi Lauria's Death record from 1903 in Anzi, Potenza. Again, someone here will need to translate the record for you in it's entirity. Hope this helps you! :D
RoccoLuigiLauriaDeathRecord1903.jpg

This is a death record for a child of 6 months of age.
:-(

T.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Thank you Tessa! I'll keep searching for her Rocco's death record. by the way, in case I didn't tell you lately...you ROCK! :)
Tricia Fierro
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

TriciaFierro wrote:Thank you Tessa! I'll keep searching for her Rocco's death record. by the way, in case I didn't tell you lately...you ROCK! :)

AWWW!!! Grazie :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Nice job on the records search, Tricia ! :-D

T.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

I believe this to be the Marriage Bann (Announcement) of Rocco Luigi Lauria and Domenica Maria Ciani from 1866. It will need translating...still searching for death reords. Keeping fingers crossed! :)

Thanks T, I love mining for records! :mrgreen:
RoccoLuigiAntonioLauriaMarriageAnnouncementToDomenicaMariaCiani.jpg
Tricia Fierro
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Hey Tessa do you mind translating this death record before I keep searching? It's for Rocco Lauria and the age appears to be right if the one I'm searching for was born in the 1840's, but I see no mention of his wife Domenica Maria. Although it's possible she had already passed by 1886 herself. Just let me know when you get a chance so that I know if we have a match here or not. Thank you!!
PossibleRoccoLauriaDeathRecord.jpg
Tricia Fierro
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

This record is for a Rocco Lauria, age 46, peasant farmer; and son of Michele and of Rosa Zita... Record date is 6 October 1886

I just translated the marriage banns and Rocco's parents are Salvatore and Maria Benedetto.

Sooo...not the right Rocco yet! :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

TriciaFierro wrote:I believe this to be the Marriage Bann (Announcement) of Rocco Luigi Lauria and Domenica Maria Ciani from 1866. It will need translating...still searching for death reords. Keeping fingers crossed! :)

Thanks T, I love mining for records! :mrgreen:
RoccoLuigiAntonioLauriaMarriageAnnouncementToDomenicaMariaCiani.jpg
This is Record of Publication of Marriage Banns

Dated 27 September 1866 at 8 AM at the town hall in Anzi.

For
Rocco Luigi Antonio Lauria, groom, single, 24, son of couple Salvatore (Lauria) and deceased Maria Benedetto, keepers of cows (?);
and
Domenica Maria Ciani, bride, single, 20, daughter of couple Francesco (Ciani) and Rosa Bonomo, both peasant farmers.

Looks lik the banns were posted first on Sunday, the 16th of September; and second on 23 of September; and there has been no opposition to the upcoming marriage.

T.