Sicilian Families in New Orleans

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
laurenpuglia

Sicilian Families in New Orleans

Post by laurenpuglia »

Hi Everyone,

My name is Lauren Puglia and I just joined the site, happy to be here!

I am looking for people to connect with whose families immigrated to New Orleans. I am originally from New Orleans, but now live in NYC).

My paternal side, the Puglia's (other names include Palermo, Musacchia, Marfia and Maniscalco) are from Santa Cristina Gela/Altofonte/Piana degli Albanesi. Then Radosta, Almerico, Catalanatto, Trumuta, Giorgente, Fasula from Villafranca Sicula.

My maternal side, the Fazzio's (other names include Ricca, Salvaggio, DiMaggio) are from Poggioreale. Although, I think the DiMaggio's might be from Contessa Entellina.

I am pretty far back on the paternal side, with many records from Santa Cristina, but am struggling with my maternal side. They have been in the US for a bit longer (mid-1800's). If anyone has tips on researching Poggioreale or information on Fazzio's, or general Italian/New Orleans genealogy, I would love to connect!

Ciao,
Lauren
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Sicilian Families in New Orleans

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to the website

What Salvaggio would you be related to Francesco Salvaggio 1879-1925 married Giuesppa Adelfio from New Orleans and Chicago

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
laurenpuglia

Post by laurenpuglia »

Hi Marty,

My connection is Elenora Slavaggio (1846- 1919) who was married to Giuseppe Fazio in Italy. Likely Poggioreale. I have yet to be able to identify any of her siblings or parents. They had at 6 six children that came to New Orleans and one born there. I believe she came to New Orleans from Sicily in 1888.

Thanks for the reply!
Lauren
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello and welcome! :-D

(HI, Marty :-) )

I'm assuming that the Family Tree on Ancestry is yours since the owners name is laurenpuglia :lol:

When looking at the 1888 ship manifest for Eleonora and Giuseppe, I noticed that the passenger below her (on the last line) is Paola Fazio, age 20; and the next page - top 2 lines list Grazia Fazio, 16, and Giuseppa Fazio, 14. Are these children of Eleonora and Giuseppe? I only noticed 3 male children on the Ancestry Tree...

BTW - there is also a Maria Fazio, 40, and a Giuseppe Salvaggio on the same manifest page...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Your nearest LDS Family History Center has microfilms for your comune for the years 1861 - 1910

Right now the link isn't working... I'll post it when it is. :?

You'll need to locate a Family History Center to order the films
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/

T.
laurenpuglia

Post by laurenpuglia »

Hi Tessa!

I think you were looking at an old tree that hadn't been modified in a couple of years. My active tree is on ancestry.com and called 2011 Puglia/Fazzio Tree. It's set to private, but if you send me your info I can give you access to it.

You are correct, however, Elenora's husband and several of her children are on that manifest. Something that I never understood about that record, is that many of the young children onboard are all listed towards the end, instead of with their families.

lauren

PS Oh, and thanks for those links, I am trying to convince a relative to review the records, because I am abroad because of work for the next two months :)
jparkerupshaw

Post by jparkerupshaw »

hello, my name is Janet. My home is in LA but also live in NY where my husband works. We are in Mahopac, NY. My Italian family is Grosso/Grasso? My gmother is from Palermo. Good news, recently met a neighbor who is from south Italy, just above palermo and is going to call his contacts there to get my info. Send me your info and I will try to get some of your info needed!
kat2412
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kat2412 »

I am also interested in this topic as many of my Sicilian ancestors immigrated to New Orleans or immigrated to NY then moved to New Orleans. My family surnames are Tomasino, Greco and Mistretta. However, around the early to mid 1900's they all moved to Texas. Please let me know if you can find New Orleans immigrant passenger lists from Palermo as I am looking for Vincent Mistretta. Have you (or anyone reading this) had to contact the county clerk in New Orleans for "no record of naturalization" letters? That is the next step for me.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello kat2412 :-)

Without knowing Vincent's date of birth, I was able to locate this manifest for
Vincenzo Mistretta, age 13, arriving Port of New Orleans, November 1882. Last residence listed as Palermo.
Would put date of birth around 1869?

New Orleans Passenger Lists, 1820-1945

Name: Vincenzo Mistretta
Arrival Date: 6 Nov 1882
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Scandinavian
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Last Residence: Palermo
Birthplace: Sicily
National Archives' Series Number: M259_64

Line 108
Click once to enlarge and again to magnify...

T.
kat2412
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kat2412 »

Hi Tessa78 -- thank you for this document and for looking for this for me. But based on the info I have, I don't think this is the right Vincent Mistretta. We know that he was born in Mistretta April 17, 1890 so it seems this Vincent Mistretta is too old to be correct. But I will double-check the dates to be sure. We also know that he came over with Josephine Mistretta so I believe her name would be on the manifest also. Thank you so much!
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

Hi Lauren,
I also have Marfia from Altofonte.

I am happy to share what I have.

Thanks,
Joann