Desperately Seeking: Janni and Gagliardi Families

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Freethinker

Desperately Seeking: Janni and Gagliardi Families

Post by Freethinker »

Sorry my story is so long, but i have to say this to someone, as i have never said it or wrote it out loud..... to anyone.

My mother and father left me with my paternal grandparents who were english, in St. Charles Michigan, in 1959 when i was just 6 months old.

Growing up they forbid me to have contact with my "other side". My whole life i have always felt so lost and abandoned. I have such a strong need to belong to someone, and that is what brings me here. I am so PROUD of my Italian heritage, and that's where i feel I belong.

I met my maternal grandfather, Orlando Janni once when i was 10. My paternal grandparents let me spend the day with him. I never saw him again until he passed away when i was 18. He was so handsome and kind, and he loved me so. I remember i held his big soft hand most of that day and when it was time for my return, i was crying i did not want to go back.

At that meeting, he made me promise i would never forget him, he loved me so and if he had his way i would come live with him. This is what he wanted most in this world, as Alma Janni, his daughter was his only child, and i (Dottie Spencer) was his only grandchild. I can still see him sitting there and i can hear his soft words telling me this. I kept the promise i made that day....i only wish i had some pictures, any pictures of him, or any family members.

All help in finding information on these two families would be very appreciated and cherished, and Thank you for reading this.

I have tried looking by myself and i haven't gotten very far, but the following is what i did manage to get:

Orlando Janni (son of Saverio Janni and Fortunata Gagliardi) was born 1908. He married Marie.

Notes for Orlando Janni:
He was self-employed, owning a party store in Flushing, Michigan

Children of Orlando Janni and Marie are:
Alma Janni. <Alma is my mom.

My Great Grandparents (maternal)
Saverio Janni (b. March 28, 1881, d. October 19, 1971)
Saverio Janni was born March 28, 1881 in San Pietro, Italy, and died October 19, 1971 in Saginaw, Michigan. He married Fortunata Gagliardi on November 14, 1904 in Italy.

Notes for Saverio Janni:
first lived in Hibbing Minnasota where they recieved their naturalization papers
They then moved to Birch Run, Michigan

More About Saverio Janni and Fortunata Gagliardi:
Marriage: November 14, 1904, Italy.

Children of Saverio Janni and Fortunata Gagliardi are:
+Mario Janni, b. May 15, 1918, d. March 23, 1995, Hagerstown, MD 21740.
+Orlando Janni, b. 1908.
+Fiore Janni, b. 1909, d. 1986.
+Victoria Janni, b. 1911.
+Raymond Janni, b. 1915, d. November 1976.
+Belinda Janni, b. 1920.
+Albert Janni, b. July 1922.
+William Janni, b. March 11, 1925.
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Desperately Seeking: Janni and Gagliardi Families

Post by Squigy »

Freethinker wrote:Sorry my story is so long, but i have to say this to someone, as i have never said it or wrote it out loud..... to anyone.

My mother and father left me with my paternal grandparents who were english, in St. Charles Michigan, in 1959 when i was just 6 months old.

Growing up they forbid me to have contact with my "other side". My whole life i have always felt so lost and abandoned. I have such a strong need to belong to someone, and that is what brings me here. I am so PROUD of my Italian heritage, and that's where i feel I belong.

I met my maternal grandfather, Orlando Janni once when i was 10. My paternal grandparents let me spend the day with him. I never saw him again until he passed away when i was 18. He was so handsome and kind, and he loved me so. I remember i held his big soft hand most of that day and when it was time for my return, i was crying i did not want to go back.

At that meeting, he made me promise i would never forget him, he loved me so and if he had his way i would come live with him. This is what he wanted most in this world, as Alma Janni, his daughter was his only child, and i (Dottie Spencer) was his only grandchild. I can still see him sitting there and i can hear his soft words telling me this. I kept the promise i made that day....i only wish i had some pictures, any pictures of him, or any family members.

All help in finding information on these two families would be very appreciated and cherished, and Thank you for reading this.

I have tried looking by myself and i haven't gotten very far, but the following is what i did manage to get:

Orlando Janni (son of Saverio Janni and Fortunata Gagliardi) was born 1908. He married Marie.

Notes for Orlando Janni:
He was self-employed, owning a party store in Flushing, Michigan

Children of Orlando Janni and Marie are:
Alma Janni. <Alma is my mom.

My Great Grandparents (maternal)
Saverio Janni (b. March 28, 1881, d. October 19, 1971)
Saverio Janni was born March 28, 1881 in San Pietro, Italy, and died October 19, 1971 in Saginaw, Michigan. He married Fortunata Gagliardi on November 14, 1904 in Italy.

Notes for Saverio Janni:
first lived in Hibbing Minnasota where they recieved their naturalization papers
They then moved to Birch Run, Michigan

More About Saverio Janni and Fortunata Gagliardi:
Marriage: November 14, 1904, Italy.

Children of Saverio Janni and Fortunata Gagliardi are:
+Mario Janni, b. May 15, 1918, d. March 23, 1995, Hagerstown, MD 21740.
+Orlando Janni, b. 1908.
+Fiore Janni, b. 1909, d. 1986.
+Victoria Janni, b. 1911.
+Raymond Janni, b. 1915, d. November 1976.
+Belinda Janni, b. 1920.
+Albert Janni, b. July 1922.
+William Janni, b. March 11, 1925.
Dottie,

You say he died when you were 18?

Name: Orlando Janni
Birth Date: 5 Jun 1908
Death Date: 25 Feb 1987
Residence: Saginaw, Saginaw, Michigan
Place of Death: Flint, Genesee, Michigan

According to this, you would be 28.

Also, Severio's death index:

Name: Saverio Janni
SSN: 367-20-8370
Last Residence: 48734 Frankenmuth, Saginaw, Michigan, United States of America
Born: 28 Mar 1881
Died: Oct 1971
State (Year) SSN issued: Michigan (Before 1951)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

maybe you already have abt:
Victoria Janni
Birth 23 Aug 1911
in Hibbing, Minnesota
Death 24 Jul 1988 in Saginaw, Michigan Burial in Birch Run cemetery, Birch Run, Michigan

spouse: Nicola DiBerardino (1897 – 1964)
marriage: 1934 6 Jan Bridgeport, Michigan

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi!
Thank you for the very complete post
A couple of questions?
Do you have all of your US records? If not, do you need help looking for anything?
Are you interested in researching your family in Italy? We may be able to direct you on how.
Thank you, Valarie

Hi Squigy and suanj!
nickintexas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nickintexas »

Ahhh! After reading through your story, I now understand with great depth your reply to the post with my GF in military uniform. Good luck with your search :)
My past is all behind me now.
Looking for Andreola, Fino, Simone, Rossacci & Capece primarily from Casalvecchio di Puglia.
Freethinker

Post by Freethinker »

Hi everyone and Thankx for the posts! Ok, will get right into it:

Squigy, honestly that death date has to be wrong, i was 18 when Orlando passed. I remember it so vividly because i was yelling at them, "i am 18 now" and there was nothing they could do as i wanted to go to his funeral. I was born April 15, 1959 and i had my oldest son in 1986, i was 26. How can they have it wrong? and now i'm kinda freeked. It should be 1977 the year i graduated high school, i was 18. Strange eh?

Suanj - tyty no i did not have that info....GREAT score! Victoria was my grandpas sister and i will add it to my stuff.

Valarie - #1) No records of any kind. #2) Yes, i would love any/all help. #3) Very interested, i have a shiny new passport that i would LOVE to use. That would be so so fantastic, if i could find a family i belong to. I saw on a post here about teaching English to gradeschoolers in the countryside...ah that is such a beautiful dream, i have done nothing but think of that since i read it.......i could pack my clothes in a tad!
Just think, they wanted to come to America....the land of opportunity and freedoms....I am trying to go (and stay)over there because i loathe what america has become. I honestly feel i would be more free there, and opportunity has left here long ago. Sad isn't it.

Nick - Thank you for your kind words of hope. It is very refreshing to know someone is really listening you to....your a GREAT listener Nick! All of you here are GREAT listeners...that you for helping me. If i could just have one pic of my grandpa or just a pic of anyone, it would mean the world to me. I can still see him, but his face is blurry.

This is so emotional for me. I have been angry for so many years. I feel so CHEATED by not being given the opportunity to know my "other side", which now i fondly call my "better side". I would give anything to go to the real Opera or play some bocci.

Here's one more for you: I was married to Gene Heffron for 18 years before he passed away in 2002. When he was three years old, his mother changed his name to Gene Heffron, but he was born Albert Eugene Camerota Jr. in Henrietta, NY, 1953...then his family moved to Syracuse some time later. Talk about disfunctional....can we put the FUN back in that? LOL....here is a pic of us. Of course everyone called him Geno...do we look Italian?
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Place of birth is probably San Pietro a section of Amantea.

Here is a possible manifest for a Fortunata Gagliardi. Dates are not quite right, but take a lok and see what you think. Apparently she didn't sail, so there is no real info listed.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0001
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Dottie,

I don't believe there is a mistake, also here is an MI death index that has the same exact information:

Death Date: 25 Feb 1987
Residence: Saginaw, Saginaw, Michigan
Place of Death: Flint, Genesee, Michigan

Are you absolutely sure it was 1977?
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

And if that still doesn't convince you, here's the kicker, public records for him in 1984:

Address: 4055 W Michigan Ave Apt 180, Saginaw, MI, 48638-6648 (1984)
[6069 Dixie Hy, Bridgeport, MI, 48722 (1984)]
[2218 N Michigan Ave, Saginaw, MI, 48602-5669]
scannavino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by scannavino »

Is any of Orlando's siblings alive? like Albert or William? Do you have any other italian family members to contact?

I know this might sound very disturbing, but maybe they just told you that he died, so you didn't go out looking for him, when in reality he was still living.....The social security death index is completely LEGIT. I'm not sure how they would make such a mistake.....

Good luck to you in your research!!!!!!
Freethinker

Post by Freethinker »

Please accept all apologies as you can see in my profile i do have Chronic Lyme Disease and i suffer from CRS=Can't Remember Squat! I wanted to Thank you for helping me on my quest.

Anyway Squigy you are so right. i got confused between the families. Orlando didn't die in 77~ i just remembered wrong.

I did however find a 2nd cousin!!! His name is Kevin Janni and he is Raymond's son! Our grandfathers were bros! Wow, how nice!

GOTTA LOVE FACEBOOK!!!!

p.s. i will write more later, as i am very sick today and not feeling well.

p.s.s. Also a quick note: I found my husbands family in Syracuse. He had a brother he never met OR even knew about. So excited! i found him on FB as well....he is only 43 and is the spitting image of Gene. I will post more as i feel better.

Bittersweet~
Seeking info for la familia: Janni - Gagliaridi -Camerota - Dolfi - Diberardino
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Freethinker wrote:Please accept all apologies as you can see in my profile i do have Chronic Lyme Disease and i suffer from CRS=Can't Remember Squat! I wanted to Thank you for helping me on my quest.

Anyway Squigy you are so right. i got confused between the families. Orlando didn't die in 77~ i just remembered wrong.

I did however find a 2nd cousin!!! His name is Kevin Janni and he is Raymond's son! Our grandfathers were bros! Wow, how nice!

GOTTA LOVE FACEBOOK!!!!

p.s. i will write more later, as i am very sick today and not feeling well.

p.s.s. Also a quick note: I found my husbands family in Syracuse. He had a brother he never met OR even knew about. So excited! i found him on FB as well....he is only 43 and is the spitting image of Gene. I will post more as i feel better.

Bittersweet~
Congratulations, Dottie. I'm so glad you found some family members!
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
tlcass99

Post by tlcass99 »

Hi FreeThinker, this is so cool I found your info on FB which brought me here. Saverio and Fortunata were my great grandparents. I find some of the info on these post to be somewhat wrong or maybe they are just things I'm not aware of. Raymond Janni was my grandfather and as far as I'm aware of he only had two girls, my mom and her sister, so I'm really not sure if the Kevin Janni's father Ray Janni is the same one? I guess it's possible, that would be cool if that's the case. My brother kept in contact with Belinda quite a bit, she passed away last year I believe. My mom and aunt went through a similar situation as you. They were raised by their maternal aunt and uncle and only got to visit the Janni family once in a while in Frankenmuth. If you go to the Baverian Inn website, there is a room dedicated to the Janni family and gives a brief history of our family. Hope you get this and repond. This would make us 3rd cousins I believe. If you go to my FB name Tricia Cass, you can request me as a friend. I tried requesting you but it wouldn't let me. I can't wait to hear from you. I too am PROUD of my Italian heritage and would like to know more. Take care and write back soon
tlcass99

Post by tlcass99 »

Hi, Raymond Janni was my grandfather. Never knew him, he died before I could ever meet him. As far as I'm aware he only had two children, my mom and my aunt. Not sure who Kevin is? Very strange that Raymond and my real grandma didn't raise my mom and aunt either. My mom recalls going to their grandparents(Sam and Fortuanta) in Frankenmuth and having a lot of fruit and nuts with every meal. My brother know's a lot more about our family heritage and we are very Proud as well of our Italian Heritage.
SheilaDiBerardino

Post by SheilaDiBerardino »

Hi Dottie,
You can contact me if you need information on the Janni family. I may have pictures of your grandfather Orlando "Jeff" Janni. If I can find them, you are welcome to them.
Sheila DiBerardino