Minor "auto" Naturalization?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mescea

Minor "auto" Naturalization?

Post by mescea »

Sorry if this question is redundant, but I couldn't find a specific answer to this.

You and your parents immigrated to America when you were a minor. Five years later, you and your siblings are listed on their naturalization papers - you're still a minor. Did you "auto-naturalize" at the same time, e.g. naturalize on account of being a minor and subject to your parents' national status? What recourse do you have, now that you're an adult, to reclaim your Italian citizenship and perhaps even pass it on to your children?

My understanding is that you'd have to file your intent for residency in Italy, and live there for at least 6 mos before you could attempt to re-register at the commune of your birth. Does anyone know a loophole or alternate stateside approach through a consulate?

Thanks in advance!
Brian :)
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Minor "auto" Naturalization?

Post by JJ313 »

Brian,

The answer to your "auto" naturalization question is dependent on additional facts that are not posted. I will assume that you and your parents are Italian citizens (all by blood not by marriage) and are not citizens of any other country until the naturalization event. You lived with both parents continuously until reaching the age of majority and you were not an emancipated minor prior to the naturalization. The naturalization occurred prior to April 27, 1983. If all this is true then you would have lost Italian citizenship as a minor and would qualify for expedited procedures for reacquisition. This would not be retroactive so previously born child of yours would not acquire citizenship when you do. I am not aware of any loopholes but perhaps someone else does.
mescea

Post by mescea »

Thanks JJ313, your assumptions are correct. Would you please expound on "expedited procedures for reacquisition"? I am not familiar with what that means or what it entails.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

Take a look at the following link to the NY Consulate instructions for reacquisition:

http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/NR/exe ... =Published
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Note that the consulate states that you will not need a visa if you will be leaving Italy within three months. This is because the process generally takes much less than three months to complete; I would guess four to six weeks.