Unknown Soprano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Unknown Soprano

Post by Amansolillo »

Hello. My great-grandmother was Elizabeth Fusco (nee DelBonis). She had two sisters, Teresa DiVona, and another sister whose name is unknown. It is known she married a Soprano, whose name is also unknown. They had two children, a daughter apparently named Rosetta, and an unknown-named son. I would appreciate any knowledge on the identities of these Sopranos. Thanks.
Towns of interest: Panni, Itri, Ceprano, Pontecorvo, Prata Sannita, Canicattini Bagni
Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Unknown Soprano

Post by Amansolillo »

Bump
Towns of interest: Panni, Itri, Ceprano, Pontecorvo, Prata Sannita, Canicattini Bagni
Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Amansolillo »

I recently found that my great-grandmother's sister was Brigida DelBonis, and her husband was Antonio Soprano. Antonio immigrated to the United States around 1910 with his sister Rosalia Soprano. The ship manifest states that he left Brigida in Italy and that he and Rosalia were going to stay at the homes of Biaggio and Antonio DelBonis, their brothers-in-law. I can't find anything about Antonio Soprano after the 1910 census, and it appears Brigida may have died in Italy. Allegedly, according to a family tree on Ancestry.com, Antonio died in Brazil, but that information has no sources to validate this. Additionally, I am unsure whether Brigida and Antonio had children that came to America (if they even had any at all). I would appreciate any information that could help solve this mystery.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Can you post the link to the 1910 manifest for Antonio Soprano and his sister Rosalia, please?

T.
Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Amansolillo »

Rosalia is on line 12 and Antonio is on line 13. Just to clarify, Biaggio DelBonis and Antonio DelBonis are Brigida's brothers. Antonio DelBonis's wife was Luigia Soprano, the sister of Antonio and Rosalia Soprano.

http://imgh.us/MAT843_121-0738.jpg
http://imgh.us/MAT843_121-0739.jpg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Amansolillo wrote:I recently found that my great-grandmother's sister was Brigida DelBonis, and her husband was Antonio Soprano. Antonio immigrated to the United States around 1910 with his sister Rosalia Soprano. The ship manifest states that he left Brigida in Italy and that he and Rosalia were going to stay at the homes of Biaggio and Antonio DelBonis, their brothers-in-law. I can't find anything about Antonio Soprano after the 1910 census, and it appears Brigida may have died in Italy. Allegedly, according to a family tree on Ancestry.com, Antonio died in Brazil, but that information has no sources to validate this. Additionally, I am unsure whether Brigida and Antonio had children that came to America (if they even had any at all). I would appreciate any information that could help solve this mystery.
Thank you for providing the ship manifest links.

To clarify:
On the manifest...
Line 12 - Rosalia Soprano, 18, single, was going to "brother Paolo at 1717 Cranston St., Providence"
Line 13 - Antonio Soprano, 32, married, was going to "brother-in-law Antonio De Bonis" at same address.
Line 14 - Francescopaolo Saccoccio, 18, single, was going to his "brother-in-law, Biagio De Bonis" at same address.

Francescopaolo's sister (line 3) Maria Saccoccio, was joining "her husband Biagio De Bonis, at 1717 Cranston..."

Have you made any searches for Antonio and Rosalia Soprano's brother, Paolo, after 1910?

I assume this is the 1910 Census you referenced...
Name: Antonio Soprano
Age in 1910: 35
Birth Year: abt 1875
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1910: Cranston Ward 4, Providence, Rhode Island
Street: Vewena Street
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1907
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Marital Status: Married
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Native Tongue: Italian
Industry: Farm
Employer, Employee or Other: Wage Earner
Naturalization Status: Alien
Able to Read: No
Able to Write: No
Years Married: 2
Out of Work: N
Number of weeks out of work: 3
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Antonio Delbonis 37
Luigia Delbonis 32
Giovanni Delbonis 10
Giuseppe Delbonis 8
Filomena Delbonis 4
Rocco Delbonis 2
Giovanni Notarianni 35
Antonio Soprano 35
Paolo Soprano 25
Roslina Soprano 23
Carlo Delbonis 26
Mariannia Delbonis 20
Loretta Delbonis 1

EDIT TO ADD***

I have located a ship manifest for a possible brother of Antonio Soprano, which may place Antonio STILL in Providence in 1913...
Brother, Benedetto Soprano [line 4], arriving from Marseilles, France on the SS Germania, 1 June 1913.
Benedetto lists his place of birth as Itri, but his last permanent residence as Marseilles.
He leaves his wife Antoinetta (cannot read her surname) in Marseilles.
He is joining his brother Antonio Soprano at 1717 Cranston St., in Providence.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/8758/RI ... 188_5-0056

http://interactive.ancestry.com/8758/RI ... 188_5-0057

T.
Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Amansolillo »

I tried looking for both Antonio and Paolo Soprano beyond the 1910 census, but I haven't found any leads. According to a family tree I found on Ancestry.com, they also had a brother Pasquale Soprano and a sister Angelina Soprano. Rosalia died sometime in between 1916-1920 (she and her husband Vincenzo Soscia had a daughter in 1916 and by 1920, Vincenzo was remarried to Teresa Fusco). Allegedly, Antonio Soprano and Brigida DelBonis had a daughter named Rosetta and a son whose name is unknown. This information came from word of mouth, and I can't find anything to verify the existence of their children. Also, Benedetto Soprano's wife was Antonetta Lepizzera.
TERESINE

Post by TERESINE »

I am related to Antonio Soprano. My father was Benedetto Soprano, Antonio's younger brother. I would be very interested in sharing information about the Soprano family. my email is teresine35@gmail.com. I hope to hear from you.
Alexandra1215

Post by Alexandra1215 »

@AMANSOLILLO I believe that the Rosalia Soprano that you write of was my grandmother. She married Vincenzo Soscia and had 4 children. The first was Maria Civita Soscia, followed by Gaetano (Danny) Soscia, then my mother, Anna Maria Soscia and finally Filomena Soscia. Rosalia died in the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic and her infant daughter Filomena died as well. My mother was 18 months old at the time. Vincenzo Soscia remarried Theresa Fusco DiBiase whose husband had also died in the epidemic. She had 4 children with her first husband: Costantino DiBiase (nicknamed Mutt), Cosmo DiBiase (Thomas), John Dibiase, and Graciela (Rasmi) DiBiase. Vincenzo and Theresa went on to have two more children together: Filomena Soscia (they named her after the deceased infant), and Rosalia Soscia (named after Vincenzo's first wife).
I know that Rosalia Soscia is buried in St. Mary's cemetery in Cranston RI. My Aunt Rosie nee Soscia is now the only surviving child of both of Vincenzo Soscia's marriages. I wish that I had more information about Brigida and Antonio for you but I don't. However I will ask my Aunt Rosie what she might remember...she is 95 years old now but very sharp.
I know there were some DelBonis family members living on Vervena Street in Cranston RI and that I was related to them as well through the Soprano side. Two of my mother's cousin's who grew up on Vervena Street were Mary DelBonis (who became a nun and who I believe is still alive and may be living in Bristol RI) and Filomena DelBonis who married Mike Lepizzera. I don't know if she is alive.
It seems like you and I are relatives of some sort! :-)
TERESINE

Post by TERESINE »

Hi, My maiden name is Soprano, the daughter of Benedetto and Antoinetta Soprano. I have found through your posts that my Uncle Antonio did emigrate to America as well as his other siblings. He did emigrate to Brazil then, way before my time and nothing was ever said about him while I was growing up so I never knew anything about him except that my father had a brother Antonio. The address that he and Rosalia are said to have come to no longer exists on Cranston St. My brother owned the building at 1717 until it was torn down. our family all grew up next door at 1715 where my parents had a grocery and meat market for many years. both buildings were torn down to build the senior apartments that are there now. I think that the Pasquale Soprano you mention and Paolo Soprano were one and the same. My father had a brother Paolo but no brother Pasquale. My uncle Paolo lived on Phenix Ave . I do not know when he died except that he died before I was born (1935). I remember the Mansolillo name from my childhood in Knightsville. The family lived on Phenix Ave. I believe that they were distant relatives but i'm not sure. I do remember visiting there a couple of times with my mother when I was little. Also I see the Sinapi name on your post and I think that my grandmother Soprano and their grandmother were sisters. Any information that you are willing to share about the Soprano family would be greatly appreciated. Of course If I can answer any questions you may have I would be happy to do so. Regards, Theresa