Town/Village Missing from Death Certificate

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sangerine
Rookie
Rookie

Town/Village Missing from Death Certificate

Post by Sangerine »

Hi,
Once again I'm turning to you for help. I obtained the Death Certificate for my Grandmother who died in Trenton, N.J. (Anora was not her first name as I first thought) Maria Soriero (her maiden name)and it doesn't list the town/village of where she was from it only states Italy. Maria Soriero (Acquisto married name) was born Oct.1887 and died Oct. 1923. I learned her father's name was Saverio Soriero and found him on the Ellis Island Passenger list but it did not name the town or village. Her mothers name was Maria A. Gamiaruzzi or Gambruzzi (photocopy of my grandmother's death certificate very dark and streaked) and couldn't locate her on the Ellis Island Passenger list and I checked all the names beginning with Gam's. I also searched Familysearch.org no luck. I called the Funeral Palor where she was buried from but he is very sick and can't climb to the attic to check the records but told me he will retire some time next year and will let me know when so I could look through the boxes for the years I want to research (the funeral palor is in Trenton, N.J. and I'm in Honesdale, Pa). But is there a way to find the name of the town/village Maria Soriero was from? Could she have been from the same town as my grandfather Francesco Acquisto, Castelermini? I think I've exhausted every means. Any help would be appreciated.
Again, thank you.
Sangerine (Sandi)
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Town/Village Missing from Death Certificate

Post by PippoM »

Don't know if this can be of any halp, but I found a manifest with Maria Soriero (recorded as Sorrero in the DB) from Sarno, 21 years in 1906, going to Syracuse to her brother-in-law (or simply brother, I'm not so sure) Salvatore. If it can be of any interest, it is here:

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0029
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

PippoM wrote:Don't know if this can be of any halp, but I found a manifest with Maria Soriero (recorded as Sorrero in the DB) from Sarno, 21 years in 1906, going to Syracuse to her brother-in-law (or simply brother, I'm not so sure) Salvatore. If it can be of any interest, it is here:

Nice find!

Looks like the "brother-in-law" belongs to the passenger below Maria :-)
Maria is going to an "uncle" (Antonio) at the same address, with same last name as Antonia's BIL (Salvatore) - looks like PAPPACENA
Can you read Antonia's surname? Does it look like LANZIERI to you?

BUT - I think the Maria on this passenger manifest is actually SOVIERO and not Soriero :(

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

In the 1930 Census for Francesco Acquisto and wife Mary living in Trenton NJ (children: Stella, Carmella, Domenica - and a child Mario DeLucia)
Francesco's age is listed as 41 - making DOB about 1889
Mary's age is listed as 30 - putting her DOB about 1880 - but you have stated her DOB as 1887 :?:

If this is the correct census, can you clarify Mary/Maria's DOB?

T.
Sangerine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sangerine »

Hi,
Thank you all for your fast response. I checked the Ellis Island Manifest but I don't believe that's my grandmother because Maria Soriero's first marriage was to Carl DePativo and their first son was born Dec. 21, 1906. But I wouldn't rule that out because their son died 1992 in N.Y. The 1930 Census for my grandfather Francesco Acquisto and wife Mary was his second marriage. The daughter Stella was my mother. If someone could e-mail the address for vital records in Sarno, Italy I will write them. I have nothing to lose only gain if it turns out my grandmother was from Sarno.
Again, thank all of you for your help.
Sandi
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I looked at the manifest again, and I think Tessa is right...the surname should be Soviero. I also checked in www.paginebianche
.it, and today in Sarno there are no Soriero's, and 4 Soviero's.
But I also checked for Soriero in all Italy, and it seems to be a quite uncommon surname: only 19 occurrences in White Pages; some in Roma and Bergamo, probably from immigration, and the others in Salerno area and Satriano, province of Catanzaro.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Sangerine wrote:Hi,
... but I don't believe that's my grandmother because Maria Soriero's first marriage was to Carl DePativo and their first son was born Dec. 21, 1906.
Was this first marriage in Italy or in the US?

Where was the son born (what was his name)?

Are you certain about the DePativo surname? I tried it and some variations, but none seem to exist in Italy.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Could you post the manifest for Saverio Soriero? or give the details of the date, ship and port so that we can locate it... wondering if we may read a different spelling for the surname :-)

Also, according to the 1930 Census, Francesco Acquisto immigrated in 1913. Is this correct?
I have found a 1913 arrival manifest for Francesco Acquisto on the SS Canopic arriving Port of BOSTON... Age 24 (so matches DOB of 1889)
Leaving brother Silvestri(?) Acquisto in Casteltermini, BUT last place of residence for Francesco was ALCAMO.
Going to brother Vincenzo Acquisto in Baionne (Bayonne) New Jersey.
In the last column of the send page of the manifest, Francesco lists his Place of Birth as ALCAMO, not Casteltermini :-(

There is also a 1913 manifest for a Francesco Acquisto arriving NEW YORK
His age is off - DOB apporx. 1894
Going to brother SALVATORE Acquisto in Scranton PENNSYLVANIA
Leaving father PIETRO Acquisto in CASTELTERMINI - Place of birth also listed as Casteltermini...

NOW - here's where it gets tricky -
Right below Francesco is listed Gaetano Acquisto from Casteltermini...
He is leaving his wife AURORA Acquisto in Casteltermini -
Could this be causing some of the confusion about your GM's name? and place of birth?
On the 1913 NY manifest Francesco is listed as SINGLE...

Do you think either of the above manifests is your Grandfather?

And I have a question about Francesco's first wife
(as I understand this, she is the mother of your mother Stella)-
You stated her name as Maria Soriero. You thought her first name was Anora. Were they married in Italy, or in New Jersey?
I have located a 1920 Census for Francesco Acquisto and wife ANNA in Trenton, NJ
She is 17 years old, and born in PENNSYLVANIA - Could this be your grandparents?
Stella according to the 1930 Census would have been born by this time, but is not on this 1920 census - What was Stella's date of birth?

AND - IF Anna/Maria's father Saverio Soriero arrived in 1880's or early 1890's - does that mean that your GM was born in USA?

Lastly, where did you find the surname DePativo for Maria's first husband?

Just trying to get everything straight in my mind :lol: :lol:

T.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I found an EI record for one Michelangelo Soriero going to join his brother Saverio in Trenton. It seems to me to be strange, as ages don't match (saverio must have been born abt. 1860, and Michelangelo abt 1889. But it can be a trace. Michelangelo was from Ruvo del Monte, province of Potenza.
Here are the manifests:

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Based on the 1893 Manifest for Saverio Soriero - he was a shoemaker.

Going with the Trenton NJ location Pippo found on the arrival manifest for Michaelangelo...

Possible 1910 Census for Saverio (listed as Samuel) Soriero and family...
They are living at 612 So. Clinton Ave., Trenton, NJ

1910 United States Federal Census

Name: Samuel Soriero
Age in 1910: 60
[50]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1860
[1860]
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's Name: May Soriero
Home in 1910: Trenton Ward 8, Mercer, New Jersey
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of immigration: 1917 (This is transcribed incorrectly - on the record the census taker was listing years in USA after immigration - that would put the date of immigration as 1893 :-) )
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Samuel Soriero 60
[50]
May Soriero 43 (They have been married 27 years)
Joe Soriero 21
[20]
Frank Soriero 13
Tony Soriero 12
Chas Soriero 10
Samuel Soriero 7
Rylonetz Soriero 5 (This is actually Antonette - poorly transcribed)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Widow Mary Soriero still living at 612 No. Clinton Ave in 1930 Census
With sons Frank and Charles, Daughter Antonette and her husband Charles Swope...

T.
Sangerine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sangerine »

Thank every all of you for your help. I believe I found the town/village my grandmother Maria Soriero was born. I found her father Saverio Soriero on one of the census and it listed Ruvo del Monto, so I could only hope Maria was born there. I checked family search but came up with nothing so I will write the town and hope they will have something.
Again, thank all of you for your help.

Sandi
Sangerine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sangerine »

Hi,
The 1930 Census is correct for Mary Soriero (great grandmother). They did live at 610 North Clinton Ave., Trenton, N.J. The Manifest information I have for Saverio Soriero is: Manifest Line #0549, Port of Departure Naples, Ship's name Massilia. Saverio was a shoemaker and was born in 1860. My grandfather Francesco Acquisto's 1st marriage was to Maria/Mary Soriero and her 1st marriage was to Carl DePativo. Francesco Acquisto's 2nd marriage was to Maria DeLucia and her 1st marriage was to Donato DeLucia. My mother Stella Acquisto was from my grandfather and grandmother Maria/Mary Soriero. I have a copy of their marriage certificate from St.Joseph's Church showing they were married in 1917, she died Oct. 1923. I don't know if my grandmother Soriero and Carl DePativo married in Italy or in Trenton, N.J. Their 1st son Anthony, born 1906 in Trenton, N.J. Grandmother Soriero was a widow when she married Francesco Acquisto according to St. Joseph's Church records. The Church records also gave my great grandmother's maiden name as Tamrazo entirely different then what is on the death certificate (they have Gamiaruzzi/hard to read the copy) for my grandmother Maria/Mary Soriero. Now my question is who do I believe? Also would it be proper to fax a letter to Italy in place of writing One? If I could fax Ruvo del Monte, Potenza, Basilicata is this the correct fax #(+39) 0976-97031. I wrote one letter to them asking if they had Saverio Soriero's birth certificate and I'm waiting for a reply. We have decided to call grandmother Soriero "The Mystery Lady". Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Sandi