Need Documents Authenticated by NY Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Need Documents Authenticated by NY Consulate

Post by rjnigro »

Hi ...
I've searched the Italian Consulate NY's web site for information on how to get NYS/NYC issued documents "authenticated" for use by an Italian Consulate outside NY's jurisdiction but can't find how to get it done?
Thanks
AlfaRomeo4Ever

Re: Need Documents Authenticated by NY Consulate

Post by AlfaRomeo4Ever »

I have the same problem. I live in CA (under Los Angeles Consulate)but most of my docs come from CT, which is under the NYC Consulate. A recent applicant in LA had to have her docs "authenticated" in other places.

There is NO mention of this procedure or requirement anywhere on the LA or NY consulate websites! It appears to be an "at will" requirement that is randomly imposed, depending on the consulate.

To things even more complicated, I wrote to the CT Vice Consul, Dr. Ambra Fantino, to see if her office could provide the authentications (I'm trying to avoid going to NYC, as my family lives in CT). She responded that if I have an apostille attached to the docs, there should be absolutely no reason to have any further authentication!

Back to square one...
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

My other half was recently recognized by San Francisco consulate. He submitted documents from Pennsylvania, New York, Oklahoma, Nevada, California and Washington State and was not required to authenticate anything. He is second-generation and claimed citizenship through his grand-father. Could the requirement to authenticate documents possibly be something that is required when claiming citizenship through a more distant ancestor, such as great-grandfather?
AlfaRomeo4Ever

Post by AlfaRomeo4Ever »

There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to when authentication is required. If you read this post, you will see that Maria was applying via GF-F, and yet was required to get out of state authentications for the LA Consulate:

http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic23303.html

I must also apply to LA, and it appears they might be a very strict office. My problems are way beyond that, as the random use of anglicised name changes and different spellings on ALL my docs is enough to make ones head spin. It will take me forever and a day to get all these documents "corrected" if the Consulate wants to be strict about them.

I dont feel too optomistic about what they are going to tell me...
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

We also had various spellings of the Italian grand-mother's sur name on several documents AND both the first name and sur name of the Italian grand-father appeared in the anglocized translation on ALL US documents. This was absolutely no problem for San Francisco. I wouldn't worry too much about little discrepancies unless they are such that they make the names appear entirely to belong to another family. Can you tell me what kind of discrepancies they are?
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

Jennabet, I am not sure when your other half applied but my guess is that it was prior to July of this year. I don't have an exact date on when this began but it appears pretty consistently on those applying in August and later. Prior to this, some of the consulates would send these docs themselves behind the scenes. Now they are putting more of the burden on the applicant and charging the applicant as well. Hey look at the bright side, we are helping to erase Italy's national debt. :)
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

His appointment was second week of August this year and authentication other than Apostille was not required. For whatever reason, it must not apply in every case. I would advise applicants not to take the extra step based on what they read in this forum but just wait to see if your consulate tells you it's required.
rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjnigro »

how to get NYS/NYC issued documents "authenticated" for use by an Italian Consulate outside NY's jurisdiction but can't find how to get it done?
How does one get the NY Italian Consulate to do this????
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

For NY you have 3 choices 1) you can hand deliver your docs to the consulate, 2) have someone deliver your docs to the consulate or 3) mail your documents to the consulate. The procedure is pretty much the same for all except in 2 you will need to include a letter that you are authorizing the person to transmit your documents.

Send the apostilled and translated document to the consulate with a letter requesting that they authenticate the document, include a money order for $8.70 per document (or you can include in your letter authorization to charge a visa/mastercard but note that there is a $4.00 service charge) if you go in person you have the option to pay in cash, include a statement releasing the consulate of any liability if the documents are lost in the mail, and s SASE. It takes about a month to get the docs back.

It is too early to tell if there is a cutoff date say mid August or not every consulate is on board with this new requirement. I was the end of August and have seen it applied in NY, Newark, Detroit, Miami and Chicago.