Surname- Coladangelo and D'Ascenza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
spybunny1967

Surname- Coladangelo and D'Ascenza

Post by spybunny1967 »

Hello-

I recently started researching my Italian heritage. My great-grandparents are Pietro and Maddalena (nee D'Ascenza) Coladangelo, who were originally from Campobasso, Italy. They settled in Cleveland, OH in 1910.

According to their death certificates and passports, Pietro was born in Busso on December 7, 1881 and his parents are Giuseppe and Nunzia (nee Picciano) Coladangelo. Maddalena was born September 11, 1891 and her parents are Michael and Theresa D'Ascenza.

I would to know if anyone has additional information regarding these families. My grandmother told me that others in my family tried looking, but reached dead-ends because the archives in Campobasso were destroyed in WWII.

Thank you-
Sharon
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Surname- Coladangelo and D'Ascenza

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello and welcome!

I noticed on a manifest (SS Duca D'Aosta) from May 23 of 1911 that Pietro and Maddalena are crossed off, so they didn't sail. However, if you magnify the image, you can see that Pietro was leaving his uncle LORENZO COLADANGELO in Italy, and his destination was to his father GIUSEPPE in Ohio. (second page of manifest).
On a manifest from August of the same year, it looks like they sailed, and you can see a numerical notation next to Maddalena's name. Could be a naturalization notation.

There are currently 13 listings for COLADANGELO in the Italian Phone Book for BUSSO(CB)
http://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?qs= ... o+%28CB%29

You may wish to write to one or more of these "potential" relatives...
Help with letters in Italian...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... #relatives

EXAMPLE of address format...

Name
Strada Provinciale Cipranense 43
86010 Busso (CB)
Italy

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Could this be Pietro and his father and mother in 1910 Census in Cleveland, OHIO?

It states that Pietro was a widower, age 27, immigrated in 1903 and was naturalized.
Maybe the trip back in 1911 was to bring his new wife, Maddalena?

Name: Pietro Coladangelo
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to Head of Household: Son
Residence: Cleveland Ward 26, Cuyahoga, Ohio
Marital Status: Widowed
Race : White
Immigration Year: 1905(actually says 1903 on census)
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Family Number: 32
Page Number: 21
Household Gender Age
Parent Joseph Coladangelo M 53y
Parent Numzia Coladangelo F 54y
Pietro Coladangelo M 27y

Fortunate Duicoppo M 40y
Vittario Brunetti M 25y
Guiseppe Battista M 26y
Fazio Ziccardi M 25y

Click image once to enlarge and again to magnify.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Found a reference to Maddalena Coladangelo's "Certificate of Arrival" which was usually made after a "Declaration of Intent" was filed in the naturalization process. Maybe it can lead to other information :-)
It is available at fold3.com - for which I don't have a subscription...

http://www.fold3.com/document/143770515/

# Title/Collection: Naturalization Petition and Record Books for the US District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, Eastern Division, Cleveland, 1907-1946
# Publication Number: M1995

# Content Source: NARA
# National Archives Catalog ID: 1127790
# National Archives Catalog Title: Naturalization Petitions, compiled 1867 - 1967
# Record Group: 21
# Partner: NARA
# State: Ohio

Some additional sources for Ohio Naturalizations... maybe you can find Pietro's - he indicates that he is naturalized on the 1910 Census.

Scroll down to OHIO
http://www.germanroots.com/naturalization.html

T.
spybunny1967

Post by spybunny1967 »

Thank you everybody-

I didn't notice some of those details on the manifests when I saw them earlier (like Uncle Lorenzo). I also didn't know to look at the next page. Oops...

Pietro's parents are Giuseppe (Joseph) and Nunzia. I saw the 1910 census and the 1905 manifest, and that's where I got stuck.
It does seem that Pietro went back to Italy to marry Maddalena and bring her to the US. Grandma never mentioned that he was widowed, maybe she didn't know that part.

After Pietro's death in 1929, Maddalena married widower Pasquale Palange (also from Campobasso, 1st wife Carmela) in Cleveland, and they became naturalized citizens in 1940. Grandma became very close to her step siblings, they were like full siblings to her.

The Busso addresses for the Coladangelo family is a great lead- thank you for that!

Does anyone if the LDS family history centers have marriage and birth records for Busso? There's a center not far from me, I thought I would give that a try also next week.

Thanks again-
Sharon
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

spybunny1967 wrote:Thank you everybody-

I didn't notice some of those details on the manifests when I saw them earlier (like Uncle Lorenzo). I also didn't know to look at the next page. Oops...

Pietro's parents are Giuseppe (Joseph) and Nunzia. I saw the 1910 census and the 1905 manifest, and that's where I got stuck.
It does seem that Pietro went back to Italy to marry Maddalena and bring her to the US. Grandma never mentioned that he was widowed, maybe she didn't know that part.

After Pietro's death in 1929, Maddalena married widower Pasquale Palange (also from Campobasso, 1st wife Carmela) in Cleveland, and they became naturalized citizens in 1940. Grandma became very close to her step siblings, they were like full siblings to her.

The Busso addresses for the Coladangelo family is a great lead- thank you for that!

Does anyone if the LDS family history centers have marriage and birth records for Busso? There's a center not far from me, I thought I would give that a try also next week.

Thanks again-
Sharon
They have civil registrations (births, marriages, deaths) from 1809 - 1910 on microfilm...
http://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhl ... +Busso+%28++

Hopefully they were married in 1910 (not 1911) - and that would be this film
Pubblicazioni 1906-1910 -- Matrimoni 1866-1867, 1869-1910 -- Cittadinanze 1898-1908 -- Morti 1867-1868 FHL INTL Film 1733183

Pietro's birth would be this film
Nati 1866-1885 FHL INTL Film 1732872 Items 2-4

T.
spybunny1967

Post by spybunny1967 »

Thank you- You've been so helpful!
Sharon
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

According to their death certificates and passports, Pietro was born in Busso on December 7, 1881 and his parents are Giuseppe and Nunzia (nee Picciano) Coladangelo. Maddalena was born September 11, 1891 and her parents are Michael and Theresa D'Ascenza.
I might have your family in my database.

I have one entry for Maddalena d'Ascenzo. She was the daughter of Michele d'Ascenzo and Teresa Melillo. However, this Maddalena died 23 JUN 1890 at 2 years of age. Your Maddalena may be her sibling since it was the custom to name the next-born child after a deceased sibling. This family was living in Campobasso at the time. However, the d'Ascenzo line originally came from Montenero di Bisaccia, where Giovanni d'Ascenzo (Michele's father) was born 07 DEC 1832, the son of Giovanni and Angela Ricciuti (di Palata). Maddalena d'Ascenzo is my 6C2R. The Melillo line can be traced in Campobasso to Saverio Melillo, son of Matteo and Mariangela del Colle, born 02 DEC 1757.

I also have an entry for Giovanni Coladangelo, son of Giuseppe and Nunzia Picciano. He married Paolina Carmela de Santis on 07 JUL 1900 in Campobasso. Although the marriage record doesn't state where Giuseppe and Nunzia were living, both Coladangelo and Picciano are quite common in Busso.

Finally, I have a marriage entry for Pasquale Palange, son of Nicola Maria and Maria Letizia Incoronata Cristina, and Carmela Ranallo of Busso, daughter of Carmine and Giovanna Coladangelo, who married on 17 MAY 1908 in Oratino. On 19 MAR 1914 Carmela Ranallo arrived at Ellis Island on her way to Cleveland to join her husband Pasquale Palange and leaving her mother Giovanna in Italy. It would seem that this Pasquale Palange may be Maddalena's second husband. Pasquale Palange is my 4C2R.
John Armellino
spybunny1967

Post by spybunny1967 »

Wow- thank you!

A lot of our family is still in Cleveland from when my great-grandparents settled here. My grandma is Yolanda (nee Coladangelo) King (husband Leo B. King), my mother is Kathleen (nee King) Blaser (husband John C. Blaser)and I'm Sharon Blaser.

Nice to meet you!
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Sharon - I'll check the films for Pietro's and Maddalena'a birth records on Tuesday night at my FHC. I'll also take a look for their marriage records but the marriage records end with 1910. Based upon the manifest dates, they may have married in 1911. Sometimes the marriage info can be found as marginalia on the birth records. I'll let you know what I find.
John Armellino
spybunny1967

Post by spybunny1967 »

Thank you again- I really appreciate your effort.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Sharon -

Pietro Antonio Coladangelo, son of Giuseppe, age 30, sarto, and Nunzia Picciano, was born 07 DEC 1881 at Piazza S. Lorenzo in Busso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d’Italia. Source: Busso (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910 (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1983-1990), FHL INTL Film 1732872/NATI 1881/Numero 88, 11 DEC 1881.

Maddalena d’Ascenzo, daughter of Michele, age 28, pastaio, and Teresa Melillo, filatrice, was born 11 SEP 1892 at Strada Piazza dell’Olmo in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d’Italia. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910 (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1983-1990), FHL INTL Film 1733192/NATI 1890/Parte I/Numero 344, 12 SEP 1892.

As per marginalia on both Pietro’s and Maddalena’s birth records, they were married on 20 APR 1911. Neither notation indicates where they were married. However, I suspect that they were married in Campobasso for several reasons: (1) the notation on Maddalena’s birth record was added the same day as the marriage, which is more easily done in the same comune; (2) the notation on Pietro’s birth record wasn’t added until July 22, 1911, and included a citation to the record (Parte I, Atto #24), which information was often added when the record was located elsewhere (3) marriages usually took place in the bride’s comune. Of course, this is only speculation. The civil records for both Busso and Campobasso have only been filmed through 1910.

Giuseppe Coladangelo, age 22, proprietario, born in Busso, son of Andrea and Mariantonia Saluppo, and Nunzia Picciano, age 23, proprietaria, born in Busso, daughter of Vincenzo and Caterina Greco, were married on 03 DEC 1878 in Busso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d’Italia. Source: Busso (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910 (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1983-1990), FHL INTL Film 1733183/MATRIMONI 1878/Numero 20, 11 DEC 1878. This record included a reference to two existing children: Teresa, born 16 DEC 1875 and Giovanni, born 31 DEC 1877.

Michele d’Ascenzo, age 24, born in Campobasso, son of Giovanni (of Montenero di Bisaccia) and Maria Francesca Cascio, and Teresa Melillo, age 22, born in Campobasso, daughter of Angelo Raffaele and Maddalena Mastropietro, were married 10 DEC 1887 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d’Italia. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910 (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1983-1990), FHL INTL Film 1733314, 10 DEC 1887. Teresa Melillo died 01 DEC 1909 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d’Italia. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910 (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1983-1990), FHL INTL Film 1733447, 02 DEC 1909.

In addition to Busso, Campobasso, and Montenero di Bisaccia, you have family lines that originated in Palata (4GGM Angela Ricciuti, circa 1800), Piedimonte (5GGF Vincenzo Cascio, circa 1753), Spinete (7GGF Gio: Angelo Damiano, circa 1710), Civita Campomarano (8GGF Nicola Gianfagna, circa 1690), Casalciprano (8GGF Giacomo Mastropietro, circa 1650), Baranello (9GGF Pietro de Nigris, circa 1665), Fossaceca (10GGF Berardino Cornacchione, circa 1645), Sassano (10GGF Angelo Carella, circa 1635), Casalnuovo (10GGM Angela Cirasuolo, circa 1630), and Mirabello (11GGF Pietro Fugnitto, circa 1615).

We are distant cousins of varying degrees from 8C1R to 9C2R, via 13 different lines of descent, and sharing 9 different sets of ancestors. I’m sure we have other connections. If you send me an e-mail to armellino at yahoo dot com, I’ll send you a Pedigree Chart and a sourced Ahnentafel Chart.
John Armellino
spybunny1967

Post by spybunny1967 »

John-
Wow, so cool! Thank you!!
I'll send the e-mail shortly-
Sharon
MarceloD

Post by MarceloD »

Hello Sharon!!! Sorry about my English... it is so bad!!
I think we are relatives!!
My name is D'Angelo, but was changed for my grandfather when he came to Brazil at the beginning of 1900.
The first Coladangelo who i knew about, got married with Lorenza Di Niro on 1745 (+-)in comuni di Busso (Campobasso).
I went to Colle d'Anchise and Campobasso on 2005 and there I took all information (Archivio di Stato di Campobasso).
I am an italian citizen and I lived in Italy for 7 years. Now I live in England and I am learning to speak English.
I have some common names in my family like a Francesco Picciano (1787).
I hope I can help you.
Regards.
Ciao.
spybunny1967

Post by spybunny1967 »

Hi Marcelo-
So glad to meet you! It's so very cool to meet new relatives!
I would love to find out what information you have regarding the Coladangelo family. All I have so far is what Mr. Armellino kindly provided back in November, are you able to add to what he was able to start for me? You can also reach me at spybunny1967 at yahoo dot com.
Thanks,
Sharon