Discrepancy On Document

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
newuser123

Discrepancy On Document

Post by newuser123 »

On my father's birth certificate it lists his father as Joseph Rubustelli. On my grandfather's birth certificate it lists his name as Giuseppe Rubustelli. On my grandfather's death certificate it lists his name as Joseph Robustelli. Everyone else in my line is listed as Robustelli and of course Guiseppe is Joseph in Italian. Does anyone think this will be a problem since the last name is the same on both my father's birth certificate and my grandfather's birth certificate. If it is a problem How would I go about correcting it. Regarding the death certificate he is 99 so it is very close to the 100 yr mark and I was told anyone 100 or older doesnt need a death certificate. Any comments on that. Thank you.

Michael
mler
Master
Master

Re: Discrepancy On Document

Post by mler »

These types of questions are always difficult to answer because the consulates can make things as easy or as difficult as they choose, and much depends on where you are applying and the person to whom you are presenting your documents. That being said, your discrepancies are exceedingly minor, and the information on the birth certificates is considerably more significant than that on the death certificate. I would tend to think that this would not be a problem.
newuser123

Re: Discrepancy On Documents, Amending documents NY

Post by newuser123 »

Unfortunately I will probably be applying in NY and apparently they are very strict. Is anyone familiar with amending documents in NY and how one would go about it? What proof would I need that they are the same person? An affidavit from me and my father?
rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjnigro »

You mention that your documents are NY documents. Are they NYC/NY documents? I've had documents at NYC/Worth Street and found the staff there accommodating and understanding. My understanding that amending NY documents via Albany (births/deaths/marriages outside NYC jurisdiction) is more difficult
newuser123

Post by newuser123 »

Yes, all my documents are from NYC and I also got them all at 125 worth street. Is this also the building where you go to make amendments? You said you found the staff there accommodating and friendly, does that mean you had amendments made. Do you mind if I pm you if you any experience in this matter Rjnigro

Side question to anyone- I am apply ggf-gf-f-me. Regarding death certificates, everywhere I read says I need only death certificates for the paternal line, not the maternal line. Can anyone verify this or is each consulate different.?
Italia1963
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Italia1963 »

Actually death certificates are easier to amend than other vital records. I had to deal with the State Health Dept. who are more difficult than dealing with the NYC Health Dept. and they amended my father's death certificate to match the Italian spelling of his first name from his birth certificate. I just had to fill out some forms so I would think NYC would be easier to get an amendment.
newuser123

Post by newuser123 »

Where did you the paperwork Italia1963, online (link) or in an office? I found this link to correct a marriage record http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/downloads/ ... t_form.pdf
but nothing for birth or death records
rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjnigro »

That is the correct form to be used for marriage amendments.

View http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/vr/vr- ... tion.shtml to locate the information about birth and death certificate amendments. If the document was issued by the municipal archives then they can not be amended. A certified letter can be obtained from the Municipal Archives stated documents issued by them can not be amended